View Poll Results: Are cats superior to dogs? should dogs be allowed to breed?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, dogs are inferior and should not be allowed to breed.

2 3.92%
  • Yes, but i have nothing against dogs breeding.

11 21.57%
  • Yes, dogs should be allowed to breed, just not with cats.

13 25.49%
  • No.

25 49.02%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Are Cats Superior to Dogs?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Sure, by hiding it in children's playgrounds, parks, gardens... a dog's turd at least you can spot easily, but when your kid builds a sand castle, God only knows how much cat feces is in there... dirty, dirty animals.
    Okay, so that's like saying, "Well, Gypsies are cleaner because they like to defecate in the middle of a busy street, whereas dirty white people hide their faecal matter in sewers for people to find when they fall down open man-holes.

Some dogs do, yes. Others don't. See, an individual dog can have a very clear character and personality. Some are as stupid as a cow's backside. Some are very, very clever. My aunt had a little dackel, a very smart and funny thing. He knew exactly how to get people's attention. When they'd be on the phone, he would always "accidentally" drop his bone and kick it under a closet. Then look up, look at the bone, look up again. Then bark... He could also open up his own bench from the inside using his nose. When it was raining, he would not go outside out out of fear to get mud on his paws (he hated that). Rolling in his own excrement? Never. The neigbors dog? Always. So many dogs, so many personalities. Like you have stupid people, you have stupid dogs. Just as there are very stupid cats, aswell as very smart ones.
    No, you don't get cats who eat or roll in excrement. There's no individual variation within the feline community in that regard. You have some dogs who eat and roll in it, and some don't. You get no cats who eat and roll in it, and all that don't.

I didn't say dogs are cleaner then cats. But at least dogs "do their thing" in plain sight where it is easily found, and not hide it for people to only discover when they work in the garden and suddenly have it all over their hands. Dogs don't like themselves then cuff up furballs inside the house. And their urine does not have the extreme ammonia scent as cat's urine. Cat's cleanliness is hugely exaggerated IMHO. Having taken care of an ill relative's cat for six months, I know what I'm talking about.
    Dogs themselves smell revolting, never mind their urine. Everyone knows what a wet dog smells like, nobody knows what a wet cat smells like. I've never in my life had to hold my breath around a cat, but around dogs? All the time.

But of course, as I said before, I'm a dog's person. You obviously are more of a cat person. So I may not be the most neutral of people to give my opinion on the subject.
    Me, a cat person? Whatever gave you that impression?

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 @ 10:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Ancestry
    Predominately Frisian
    Country
    Frisia Frisia
    State
    Frisia Frisia
    Married
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cats are great, except for their razor sharp claws and sand paper tongues.

I hate it when my cat tries to massage me with her claws.

I believe dogs are good for work, but that they are over abundant in society.

I believe dogs should only be around if they can serve a work purpose, so if you think a dog is good security, and he fulfills that roll then it is great. But, I would rather just have an alarm system it would be more reliable, less smelly, and cheaper.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Obviously both camps will exaggerate the unpleasantness and highlight the good features of their preferred animal. All pets and domesticated animals are 'dirty' to some degree and the owner has to clean up after them. You can't raise them to the same hygiene standards as humans.

The poll options are retarded. Cats can't breed with dogs.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Lowlands
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Cats can't breed with dogs.
    And thank heavens for that!

But that said, I've suspected for some time that our eternal enemies, the nefarious Juice, are involved in clandestine operations to make possible feline-canine hybrids through the sheer power of propaganda. The recent, stomach-churning increase in commercial advertising featuring both species cavorting (with the suggestion of further depravity ahead) is only the first step in the master plan to disseminate their ultra-subversive Proper Gander.

The worst is yet to come.

To the question. I esteem anything that effortlessly exudes power, intelligence, control, urbanity, agility, elegance. Show me the dog that does. Slavish devotion is useful, but it's not something I respect.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Norse
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I like both, but I was not allowed to have a dog growing up, so my perspective is with cats. Regular house cats can be trained from a very young age to crave human attention and to be very social. That is the chief complaint I've heard about cats, that they are not loyal. For 19 years I had a cat that would come to me at command every time with a mere hand signal, would constantly want human affection, and two cats that would follow me around outside. Every day I walked home from school, and later each day I drove home from university, both would greet me in the driveway. So I never understood the complaint.

No, a cat will not obey as well as a dog, but cats are cleverer in other ways: they can be left to their own devices with some food and water for a week and won't starve, and don't need to be taken care of like a baby every day. The only things I think I missed out on were taking a dog for walks, playing fetch, and telling it to roll over. But I'm sure those would have gotten old quickly. I had fun with the cat equivalent: my old man cat would still chase a meter long piece of grass in circles around me. Unless you simply like dogs or need a dog for some purpose other than being a pet, I'd say a socialized cat would be a more practical alternative.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 22nd, 2019 @ 09:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    American of Northwestern European descent
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Sweden, Colonial America, Luxemburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Does it really matter which is superior to the other? They're pets. If superiority was desirable in a pet, surely we'd all own chimpanzees.

I personally don't like either. (Sorry, 90% of people.) The concept of caring for an animal where no tangible benefit is received from them is not something that resonates with me (i.e. milk from cows > "affection" from a dog). Plus, I'm somewhat of a neat freak and can't imagine sharing living space with a non-human.

With that said, I'd prefer a cat to a dog... But only inasmuch as a cat's aloofness makes it less of a pet.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456