View Poll Results: Are cats superior to dogs? should dogs be allowed to breed?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, dogs are inferior and should not be allowed to breed.

2 3.92%
  • Yes, but i have nothing against dogs breeding.

11 21.57%
  • Yes, dogs should be allowed to breed, just not with cats.

13 25.49%
  • No.

25 49.02%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are Cats Superior to Dogs?

Last Online
    Friday, March 25th, 2016 @ 08:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt Australian
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Victoria Victoria
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Guerilla Philosopher
    Politics
    Aristotelian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: Are cats superior to dogs?

No they aren't. Dogs are great. And a lot more useful. I wish I had a pet wolf I could raise from birth. Unfortunately, that's illegal in Australia, so I'll have to settle for an Alaskan Malamute...
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream at night, in the dusky recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams, with open eyes, to make it possible.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, December 10th, 2004 @ 12:40 AM
    Subrace
    alpinid/med/armenid
    Politics
    Justice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cats are stupid, but have strong sense of self-respect, unlike dogs.
    Dogs are intellectualy superior, but most of the breeds are lickspittles.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    alpinid/med/armenid
    Politics
    Justice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In cats white coloration is dominant genetically (in humans it is recessive).
    Interesting white-coated cats with blue eyes are mostly deaf.

Cats

The white (W) pigment gene in cats is autosomal dominant over color, and is unrelated to albinism (Little, 1957; Searle, 1968). Cats carrying the W gene are not always solid white, often having colored spots on their heads that may disappear with age. Unlike dogs with the merle gene, homozygous white cats do not have visual or reproductive defects, but they are more prone to the occurrence of blue irises and deafness, either unilateral or bilateral, and deafness occurrence increases with the number of blue eyes (Delack, 1984). Whether the cat is heterozygous or homozygous for W, the blue eyes and deafness have incomplete penetrance. Long-haired cats have a higher prevalence of blue eyes and deafness than short-haired cats (Mair, 1973). White cats carrying the underlying cs Siamese dilution pigment gene can have blue eyes without deafness, and it has been suggested that the presence of this gene explains why purebred white cats are less often deaf than mixed-breed white cats (Pedersen, 1991). The white gene is present in many cat breeds (Table V), but no data is available on relative rates of occurrence of deafness between them.

A dominant piebald gene (S) is also found in various cat breeds (Pedersen, 1991; Searle, 1968), but there has been no report of deafness associated with its presence.

http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/genet.htm
    Last edited by Tribunale Dei Minore; Friday, November 19th, 2004 at 12:11 AM.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    alpinid/med/armenid
    Politics
    Justice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cats were sacred animals in ancient Egypt. They were so important that even were mummified!

The cat in ancient Egypt, or miw (to see), was a sacred and respected beast.

These small companions fascinated the Egyptians, and were venerated by all. It was in Egypt that the cat was first domesticated 4,000 years ago and where they were held in the most admiration and respect. There is evidence of wild felines around the banks of Egypt, but it was not until around 2000 BCE that the fully domesticated cat was brought into the houses of Egyptians.

The first domesticated Egyptian cats in Egypt were more than likely used for warding off the common asp and other snakes, and the typical chasers of rodents. Slowly though, the cat became more to the Egyptians than just a normal animal, the cat became a god.

During the New Kingdom (1540 to 1069 BC), there were many tomb scenes that started showing cats as part of everyday life. The ancient Egyptians took their cats on hunting excursions instead of dogs, The most popular excursions being the marshes where cats may have been trained to retrieve fowl and fish. Another very common scene in tomb paintings was the picturing of a cat seated underneath a woman's chair. Children had become known in their family as Mit or Miut, showing great affection not only for the child but for the cat as well. Statues of cats were placed outside the house to protect the inhabitants and to ward off evil spirits. This showed scientists that the cat had become an integral part of the ancient Egyptian family life.

Mafdet was the first Egyptian feline deity, sometimes depicted as a lynx, but the most famous cat goddesses in the world, first revered by the ancient Egyptians were Bastet (also known as Bast, Pasch, Ubasti) and the lion-headed Sekhmet.

Bastet had the roles of fertility, protector of children and the protector of all cats. Bastet became so popular infact that she became a household goddess. This goddess was called Bastet when in full cat form, and Bast when only having the head of one and the body of a beautiful woman. Bastet's counterpart was the goddess Sekhmet who represented the cat goddess' destructive force. Sekhmet is known as the goddess of war and pestilence. Together, Bastet and Sekhmet represented the balance of the forces of nature in Egypt.

In Bubastis, or Tell Basta, the cats lived a lavish life as the `embodiment' of Bastet in her temples. Here they were served upon and taken care of until they passed away, and it was here that their bodies were mummified and given as offerings to Bastet. Bubastis contains the remains of over 300,000 cat mummies. Upon being inspected, some feline mummies had severe trauma to the head or neck, signifying that they were killed on purpose, perhaps to lower the growing population or for offerings for Bastet. Giza, Abydos, and Dendereh were also feline tomb cities other than Bubastis.

When a cat died their former owners and occupants of the house would go into deep mourning and shave their eyebrows as a sign of grief. People are not the only mummies in Egypt, as the cat was also mummified significantly. The process of feline mummification had six steps:
    1. Removal of organs
    2. Body is stuffed with sand or packing material
    3. Feline is placed in a sitting position
    4. Body is wrapped tightly
    5. Faces and designs are painted on wrappings with black ink
    6. No chemicals, only natural dehydration
    In the tombs of the cats were set bowls of milk along with mice and rats.

Cats were not only protected by almost every occupant of Egypt, but also by the law. So extreme infact was the devoutness of the Egyptian culture to the cat, that if a human killed a feline, either intentionally or unintentionally, that human was sentenced to death. Laws were set that also forbid the exportation of cats, though more often than not, many were smuggled to the neighboring Mediterranean countries. Documents state that armies sometimes were set out to recapture these cats from the foreign lands.

Herodotus stated a story once about a fire in a house in Egypt. The men from the house stood outside in a line to protect the cats from harm and danger. Another statement from Herodotus explains even greater the significance of the cat to Egypt. Herodotus begins with the Egyptians in war with Persia. The Persian general had decided to collect as many cats that his men could find or steal, knowing the great importance of the cat to Egypt. The soldiers then returned to the town of Pelusium and set the cats free on the battlefield. Horrified, the Egyptians surrendered the city to the Persians rather than harm the cats.

The cat held a powerful spot in the history of Egypt. While she protected his land and his people, she also protected the mystique that is and was the cat in ancient Egypt.
    http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehisto...gion/cats.html

Last Online
    Saturday, June 14th, 2008 @ 03:40 PM
    Subrace
    Baltid+Brunn+Atlantid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Disoriented
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle
    ΕΥΤΥΧΕΙΤΕ!
    Dear psycho_pixie may I send you some of my 34 cats?
    I'll be very glad!
    34 cats wow!

Last Online
    Monday, December 18th, 2006 @ 04:20 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Politics
    I'm left handed but always right
    Religion
    Computers and the games
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 10 stone Newfoundland and an 8 stone St Bernard, 2 cats ones really fat.

I dont know about their intelligence but they act like fucking animals, they dont even have a job the lazy lit....

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 06:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I can't understand why some folk think cats are lazy and dumb. Alot of dogs are too. It depends on their surroundings.... A cat with no stimulation from nature (gardens and trees etc) and owners who are NOT truly attuned to them, can be layabouts...(what do you expect?...there is nothing else to do).
    Same goes for dogs....bad behaviour & temperament is caused by owners. Small backyards for working breeds!! (how crazy )..Never walked or given 'things' to do.

Having a pet, (of any kind), requires an understanding & natural devoted love & respect. If your animal is docile...there is something lacking.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 07:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I have had cats and dogs and birds, and lizards, snakes, scorpions, mice, rats, hamsters, chickens, fish on many kinds and a lot more. Any animal you take into your family is just that, family. It really doesn't matter what the species.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 13th, 2017 @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly English, some Irish
    Subrace
    Nord-Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Capricorn
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think cats are lazy, decadent and boring. All they do is sleep all day and in summer they lie in the grass and do more sleeping.

Cats are a woman's animal, dogs are for men. Dogs will come hunting with you like mine does and are quite happy to be active and will defend you and keep you company.
    Dogs are superior, they helped humans survive the last Ice Age, cats just turned up to exploit our rat population when we started farming.

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    921 Posts
    I had to shoot an uncontrolled German Shepherd canine once that attacked me on public property. I have yet to encounter an unprovoked attack by a domestic feline, not even a feral one.

Considering the fact there are seven adopted felines residing comfortably with us in our modest home, while three canines occupy a muddy outdoor pen next door, I'd have to say felines possess an edge on the intelligence scale in this respect anyway.

If you prefer canines to felines that's fine with me. Just keep them properly restrained at all times, because even though a provoked feline will scratch and bite to defend itself, an unprovoked canine can critically maim, or even kill a person.

This is for those macho clowns who think only women love felines:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast