Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

Last Online
    Sunday, January 8th, 2006 @ 09:27 PM
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Bismarckian Conservatism
    Religion
    Not Applicable
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Willowsprout
    Hi nice to meet you Congrats on your Graduation and further studies
    Thank you for the welcome, Willowsprout! I look forward to discussing with you in the forum.

~Renee
    Last edited by HCRenee1980; Monday, November 8th, 2004 at 03:39 PM.
    "For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grievances which we endure help us in our marching onward." ~Henry Ford

"Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied." ~Otto von Bismarck

"There is nothing stable in human affairs: ...avoid undue elation in prosperity and undue depression in adversity!" ~Socrates

"Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important is the road to pride and personal satisfaction." ~Thatcher

Last Online
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Bismarckian Conservatism
    Religion
    Not Applicable
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: AW: Re: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon
    The naive thinking in categories of Empire and "Might is Right" and the even more naive personalization of history.

Well, kindly explain to me how YOU conceive of history, Mr. Phlegethon! In addition, I fail to see how Empire and "Might is Right" indicate any kind of naivete: on the contrary, I think Realpolitik is more realistic view of politics, at least compared to the other decadent ways of looking at international relations (functionalism, liberalism, constructivism, or worse...).

As a side note, let me remind you that I was relating this concept to Bismarckian politics. I do not apply these concepts to justify what my government currently does. So, please do not inadvertently make that mistake. I am not certain if that was your intent, but I figure I would preclude that idea before you generated it.

Thank you for your feedback! I look forward to your response!

~Renee
    Last edited by HCRenee1980; Monday, November 8th, 2004 at 02:53 PM.
    "For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grievances which we endure help us in our marching onward." ~Henry Ford

"Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied." ~Otto von Bismarck

"There is nothing stable in human affairs: ...avoid undue elation in prosperity and undue depression in adversity!" ~Socrates

"Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important is the road to pride and personal satisfaction." ~Thatcher

Last Online
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Bismarckian Conservatism
    Religion
    Not Applicable
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: AW: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

Mannheim or Heidelberg?
    I attended a university in Massachusetts. I have not attended a university in Germany (yet), although I hope I may take some courses at Heidelberg or Mannheim while I am in Germany. As you might have noticed, my postal code is for Bad Dürkheim. I am participating in an internship of sorts here, where I will stay for an entire school year. Since you are located in Westfalen, I would assume that you studied elsewhere, such as Köln.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 5th, 2016 @ 12:13 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post AW: Re: AW: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by HCRenee1980
    Since you are located in Westfalen, I would assume that you studied elsewhere, such as Köln.
    Nope. Cologne is a scary, nasty, filth-ridden place and the university is just gross and overcrowded. Apart from that Cologne isn't Westphalia but Rhineland, and thus enemy land. A Westphalian university would be Münster (or Paderborn, but that is hardly a university).

Though being a Westphalian I studied in central Germany.
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Last Online
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Bismarckian Conservatism
    Religion
    Not Applicable
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: AW: Re: AW: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

Nope. Cologne is a scary, nasty, filth-ridden place and the university is just gross and overcrowded. Apart from that Cologne isn't Westphalia but Rhineland, and thus enemy land. A Westphalian university would be Münster (or Paderborn, but that is hardly a university).

Though being a Westphalian I studied in central Germany.
    Oh, forgive me...I confused the Rheinland region with the Westfalen region . I suppose it is due to the fact that the regions are together in one Bundesland now. I have never been at the university, so I was not aware that it was so deplorable. Are you near Paderborn: then you would be near Wewelsburg, am I not correct?

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

Oh, forgive me...I confused the Rheinland region with the Westfalen region . I suppose it is due to the fact that the regions are together in one Bundesland now.
    Thanks to the yankees and Tommies.

I have never been at the university, so I was not aware that it was so deplorable. Are you near Paderborn: then you would be near Wewelsburg, am I not correct?
    I would, but I am not, as I am located in westernmost Westphalia. I know the Wewelsburg though. It harbors a youth hostel these days.

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Bismarckian Conservatism
    Religion
    Not Applicable
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

Thanks to the yankees and Tommies.

I would, but I am not, as I am located in westernmost Westphalia. I know the Wewelsburg though. It harbors a youth hostel these days.
    Ahh, I see. I figured I'd ask. On behalf of my crazy country, which I hope to leave soon anyway, sorry we made the Länder into one Land. By the way, and I mean no insult, why do you dislike the Nordrhein region so much? I know it is an ignorant question, but I am not familiar with this disdain.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

By the way, and I mean no insult, why do you dislike the Nordrhein region so much? I know it is an ignorant question, but I am not familiar with this disdain.
    First of all there is no such thing as Nordrhein in the German language. It is an example of a nonsensical anglicism. In the German language there is either an Oberrhein (in southern Germany) and a Niederrhein (in western Germany), depending on where the fountain is located.

Westphalians and Rhinelanders have different mentalities. The first are rather quiet, stern and industrious while the latter are rather loud, silly and lazy. Apart from that Rhinelanders don't know shit about beer. Just visit Düsseldorf or Cologne and find out what you get served when you order a beer.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Bismarckian Conservatism
    Religion
    Not Applicable
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

First of all there is no such thing as Nordrhein in the German language. It is an example of a nonsensical anglicism. In the German language there is either an Oberrhein (in southern Germany) and a Niederrhein (in western Germany), depending on where the fountain is located.

Westphalians and Rhinelanders have different mentalities. The first are rather quiet, stern and industrious while the latter are rather loud, silly and lazy. Apart from that Rhinelanders don't know shit about beer. Just visit Düsseldorf or Cologne and find out what you get served when you order a beer.
    HAHAHAHA, oh, that's classic!!! My ex-fiance was from the Ruhrgebiet!!! I know exactly what you are talking about. He fit the stereotype COMPLETELY. I agree: the beer there is gross. Although I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, I rather liked Koelsch though.... I hate American beer though, YUCK, so at least I'm not a total washout!

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Greetings! I have returned after a long hiatus!

You're American, so you are not supposed to recognize real beer anyway.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast