Pan-Germanic
    Religion
    Lofgeornost
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: Transylvanian Saxons

I once met a Saxon guy from the Siebenburgen. He'd left with his girlfriend and was working in Munich.
    He told me that most of the young Volksdeutsche try to claim German citizenship so they can leave and live in Germany.
    I don't know if this is generally true or just relevant to his town (sorry can't remember which one he came from).
    I thought it was like the migration in reverse. They are leaving homes, land and parents behind for another life - quite sad.
    A people which takes no pride in the noble achievements of remote ancestors
    will never achieve anything worthy to be remembered with pride by remote descendents.

Lord Macauley

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Post Re: Transylvanian Saxons

Quote Originally Posted by Sigel
    I once met a Saxon guy from the Siebenburgen. He'd left with his girlfriend and was working in Munich.
    He told me that most of the young Volksdeutsche try to claim German citizenship so they can leave and live in Germany.
    I don't know if this is generally true or just relevant to his town (sorry can't remember which one he came from).
    I thought it was like the migration in reverse. They are leaving homes, land and parents behind for another life - quite sad.
    Many Saxonian regions in Siebenbuergen are dead and the ethnic group will not survive on the long run I guess.

My paternal ancestors fled during the war, because the North was evacuated by the SS. When my grandmother visited her old village, most houses were ruined and Gypsies lived there.
    Almost no Germans left.

In the South the migration began later but now the situation is not that much better afaik.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 01:37 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Overijssel Overijssel
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Lay back down
    Politics
    Blut & Boden
    Religion
    Not sure anymore
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Saxon and Swabian settlements in Siebenburgen, 1910

Saxon and Swabian settlements in Siebenburgen, 1910
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Transylvanian Saxons

Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    Æmeric, I think you also need to take into Account the ethnic Germanics from occupied Territories in South Tyrol in Italy, Sudetenland in the Czech Republik, Alsace-Lorraine in France, Memel in Lithuania, East and West Prussia, Silesia and other former German Lands. And also the ethnic Germans from Romania, Hungary, Russia and other Countries in Central, South-East and East Europe. They are called Volksdeutsche. And also the Finlandswedes who are of Swedish Blood. Maybe other Germanics in other Countries. I mostly know about Germans. You also forget the Germans from Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
    You're reflective, but do you call yourself as Romanian or Germanic Romanian?
    Even-though the ethnic Germanic are like spread like an ocean, but they don't refer themselves as Lithuania Germanic, Russian Germanic and et. Do they? There's a diffrence between territorial bonds and ethical bond, it's hard to say, the bonds that you refers purely ethical

- Bonds to identity because the nature of self I am
    - Bonds to things, place, building, culture, values and so on
    - Bonds to the identity because the world, universe and comos

Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Hanna, I don't call myself "Germanic Romanian". This Term doesn't exist for us Ethnic Germans. We are Siebenbürger Sachsen (Transylvanian Saxons). There are two different Ethnicities. Romanians are the indigenous Inhabitans of Romania. Transylvanian Saxons are Descendents of the German Settlers from the 12. and 13. Centuries. My Family are Descendents of the German Colonizers of Transylvania. We Transylvanian Saxons are considered a National Minority and we have Culture and Language Rights. We have a separate and unique Identity of our own.

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hanna, I don't call myself "Germanic Romanian". This Term doesn't exist for us Ethnic Germans. We are Siebenbürger Sachsen (Transylvanian Saxons). There are two different Ethnicities. Romanians are the indigenous Inhabitans of Romania. Transylvanian Saxons are Descendents of the German Settlers from the 12. and 13. Centuries. My Family are Descendents of the German Colonizers of Transylvania. We Transylvanian Saxons are considered a National Minority and we have Culture and Language Rights. We have a separate and unique Identity of our own.
    Interesting, Do you refers yourself as, Transylvanian Saxons in Romania ? If someone ask you ?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Yes, of course I do. Because we Transylvanian Saxons have some general Characteristics which define us. We go to Lutheran Church. Romanians go to Orthodox Church and Hungarians to Catholic Church. We speak German. We take German Tests at School and University because it is our Mother Language. In our Documents and Identifications we are shown as ethnically German.

What with the Questions? If you are interested in Transylvanian Saxons, I can help you with more Information.

Last Online
    Sunday, August 19th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    What with the Questions? If you are interested in Transylvanian Saxons, I can help you with more Information.
    I definitely am interested in more info about the Transylvanian Saxons. They're news to me.

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yes, of course I do. Because we Transylvanian Saxons have some general Characteristics which define us. We go to Lutheran Church. Romanians go to Orthodox Church and Hungarians to Catholic Church. We speak German. We take German Tests at School and University because it is our Mother Language. In our Documents and Identifications we are shown as ethnically German.

Yes, I think it's interesting, because most of the East European Block were Germans occupied. It's not so strange why German languages are still in use such as in a country like Romania. German language becomes one of the second language because it had been occupied. Countries that was colonized by the French still speaks French as the first language. I just don't see the relationship between religion, and language to identify as Germanic. But the reason I'm interested in Romania because my father is a photographers and he travels alot, I've been to Romania for almost a month or so but what I hear they speaks more Italians.Maybe I'm not aware another side of Romania. It's always reflective to know new knowledge.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Soten and Hanna, here some Information:

The Transylvanian Saxons (German: Siebenbürger Sachsen; Hungarian: Erdélyi szászok; Romanian: Saşi) are a people of German ethnicity who settled in Transylvania (German: Siebenbürgen) from the 12th century onwards.

The colonization of Transylvania by Germans was begun by King Géza II of Hungary (1141–1162). For decades, the main task of the German settlers was to defend the southeastern border of the Kingdom of Hungary. The colonization continued until the end of the 13th century. Although the colonists came mostly from the western Holy Roman Empire and generally spoke Franconian dialects, they were collectively known as Saxons because of Germans working for the Hungarian chancellery. For much of their history, these 'Saxons' held a privileged status with the Hungarians and Szeklers of Transylvania.

The Transylvanian Saxon population has decreased since World War II. Despite mass emigrations — primarily to Germany — they still form notable minorities in Hungary and Romania.

My Source is Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transylvanian_Saxons

But there is a better Source, a whole History of Transylvanian Saxons written by Dr. Konrad Gündisch:
    http://www.sibiweb.de/geschi/7b-history.htm

Hanna, I'm not sure what you mean by German being the second Language of Romanians. Few Romanians speak German. Romanians mostly learn English or French as second Language. Latin is also thaught. German is mostly associated with Ethnic Minorities. I don't say Religion and Language identify us as Germanic only. But we have different Religion and Language than most Romanians. We are Descendents of the German Settlers, so our Ethnicity is German. Because our Ancestors were German, the German Language was spoke in our Families. It was our German Ethnicitiy that resulted in the German Language being passed on from one Generation to the other, not viceversa. Because we are Germans by Ethnicity some Transylvanian Saxons immigrate to Germany by right of Blood.

What do you mean by they speak more Italians by the way? The Romanian Language is a Romance Language descended from Latin. But it has many Slavic Words. I don't know of any Italians here.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast