Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Christian are you?

What kind of Christian are you?

What kind of Christian are you?

The following "diagnostic" quiz will attempt to pigeonhole you, reducing you from a complex, nuanced person to a simple caricature. We obviously don't pretend that this is scientific, and, to be honest, part of the goal is to have some fun.

But there is a serious point here, too: One's approach to the Bible reveals a great deal about one's approach to religion generally. More so than denomination, one's attitude about who Jesus was and what the Bible is can define an individual's spiritual type.

So we hope that in addition to being interesting, this quiz will help you learn something about yourself. At the end of the quiz, we'll offer you the opportunity to complain about the quiz to others who have scored similarly.

http://www.beliefnet.com/section/qui...02&surveyID=83

You scored 144, on a scale of 0 to 400. Here's how to interpret your score:

0 - 59
    You are a Jesse Ventura Christian (a.k.a. a "Secularist" or non-Christian).
    60 - 149
    You are a Bishop Spong Christian (a.k.a. "Biblical Revisionist").

150 - 249
    You are a Hillary Rodham Clinton Christian (a.k.a. "Left-Leaning Traditionalist").
    250 - 329
    You are a George Bush Sr. Christian (a.k.a. "Right-Leaning Traditionalist").
    330 - 400
    You are a Jerry Falwell Christian (a.k.a "Historicist").

Bishop Spong Christian
    (a.k.a. "Biblical Revisionist")

You think the Bible is a powerful metaphorical narrative and believe that Jesus was a heroic figure similar to Gandhi. You believe in God as a loving creator and that She will forgive you for just about anything. You're willing to admit that you don't believe in the resurrection. You go to church for the sense of community and the music and because you like to hector your fellow Christians about their backward ways. You read Toni Morrison, Elaine Pagels, and Bishop Spong, the controversial Episcopalian prelate. You enjoyed the "The Da Vinci Code" as a thriller and found its ideas about Christian history thought-provoking, if not always historically accurate. Though you probably didn't see it, you're sure that "The Passion of the Christ" presented an utterly backward version of Christianity. You ardently support gay rights and feel guilty that you yourself are not gay. (If you are gay, you're in a loving, committed relationship). You live in a leafy university town, order Chai at the local coffee house (never Starbucks), and subscribe to The New Yorker. You watch TV so you can talk disdainfully about how bad TV is. You give to charity, preferring the local homeless shelter to those bureaucratic national charities. For you, the crux of Christianity is Jesus' revolutionary message of empowering "the least of these."

Last Online
    Thursday, August 20th, 2009 @ 12:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Uralic/Alpine/Pontid mixed
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Post Re: What kind of Christian are you?

You scored 355, on a scale of 0 to 400. Here's how to interpret your score:

0 - 59

60 - 149

150 - 249
    You are a Hillary Rodham Clinton Christian (a.k.a. "Left-Leaning Traditionalist").

250 - 329

330 - 400

Jerry Falwell Christian
    (a.k.a. "Historicist" or "Literalist")
    You view the Bible as historically accurate and divinely inspired. You go to church every Sunday, with the Good Book in a Bible cover, and Wednesday night for Bible study. You've read at least one of the books in the apocalyptic "Left Behind" series, prefer your iced tea very sweet, and suspect Bill Clinton has murdered somebody somewhere in Arkansas. You're furious that people actually believe "The Da Vinci Code" and have bought a book debunking the novel. You wept uncontrollably all three times you went to see "The Passion of the Christ" and have ordered the DVD in bulk to give copies to friends. You may watch Eternal Word Television Network, and you adore Dr. Laura, Chuck Colson, James Dobson, and Rush Limbaugh. You enjoy some episodes of "Joan of Arcadia" but think it's not reverent enough--"Touched by an Angel" was better. If you're Catholic, you go to Latin Mass and weekly confession, though you don't have much to confess. You think homosexuals are sinful but try periodically to love them. You think the surrounding culture is so polluted that you shop at Christian bookstores, listen only to Christian radio and send your kids to Christian or parochial schools--or homeschool them. You give generously to your church and Christian charities. The Bible provides you not only a direct connection to God but a roadmap for how to lead your life.

Taras Bulba: Ok thats nothing like me. I usually have contempt for Jerry Falwell types! :eyes

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taras Bulba
    You view the Bible as historically accurate and divinely inspired.
    True to an extent, I also realize that much in scriptures is allegory.

You go to church every Sunday, with the Good Book in a Bible cover, and Wednesday night for Bible study.
    No.

You've read at least one of the books in the apocalyptic "Left Behind" series
    I hate those books.

, prefer your iced tea very sweet,
    to an extent true.

and suspect Bill Clinton has murdered somebody somewhere in Arkansas.
    The man murdered plenty of Iraqis and Serbs, so this would be irrelevant IMHO.

You're furious that people actually believe "The Da Vinci Code" and have bought a book debunking the novel.
    Ive read books debuking the novel. I've been planning on purchasing the Da Vinci Hoax largely for the information provided in it as opposed to its actual debunking of the novel. Although it does give a good reason as to why the book is so popular(ie people are so stupid about history, they'll believe anything especially when told through the medium of movies and/or novels).

You wept uncontrollably all three times you went to see "The Passion of the Christ"
    I didnt cry during the ONE time I saw the Passion, but I almost did during one scene.

and have ordered the DVD in bulk to give copies to friends.
    No, I only have one copy.

You may watch Eternal Word Television Network,
    Sometimes......most of it is just nonsense about the Eucharist.

and you adore Dr. Laura, Chuck Colson, James Dobson, and Rush Limbaugh.
    Hate those fuckers.

You enjoy some episodes of "Joan of Arcadia" but think it's not reverent enough
    Never watched that series.

--"Touched by an Angel" was better.
    Hate that show!

If you're Catholic, you go to Latin Mass and weekly confession, though you don't have much to confess.
    No.....I've never been to a Latin mass(though I've been planning onto someday).

You think homosexuals are sinful but try periodically to love them.
    Somewhat true.

You think the surrounding culture is so polluted that you shop at Christian bookstores, listen only to Christian radio
    No....those stores sell nothing but crap and those radio stations play the most awful music ever. I'll never forget that one "Rapping with Jesus" song I heard, I've never listened to that "Christian" station since!

and send your kids to Christian or parochial schools--or homeschool them.
    If I had kids then probably yes.

The Bible provides you not only a direct connection to God but a roadmap for how to lead your life.
    Yes and no.

You are not wrong, who deem / That my days have been a dream
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 15th, 2012 @ 11:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Baskid
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

You scored 343, on a scale of 0 to 400. Here's how to interpret your score:

0 - 59

60 - 149

150 - 249

250 - 329

330 - 400

Last Online
    Monday, December 12th, 2005 @ 11:43 PM
    Subrace
    Baltid/Nordid
    Politics
    Croatian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

330 - 400

Yet I don't fit the description 'Jerry Falwell' type:

You view the Bible as historically accurate and divinely inspired.
    I dislike the Jewish hate toward non-Jews of antiquity (Romans, Greeks, Persians, Babylonians, Philistines ect.) It reminds me on modern Jews and Zionism too much.
    IMO The Old testament represents everything Jesus stood against. I like the traditional medieval or 'vulgar' Christianity of the folk without paying much respect on Bible quotations.

You scored 355, on a scale of 0 to 400.
    I share your score...and also your disdain for "Jeri Falwell types"
    You view the Bible as historically accurate and divinely inspired
    For the most part, yes...I do.
    You go to church every Sunday, with the Good Book in a Bible cover, and Wednesday night for Bible study.
    I can't even remember the last time I went to church...and never have I been to Bible study.
    You've read at least one of the books in the apocalyptic "Left Behind" series
    No I haven't...and have no inclination to do so.
    prefer your iced tea very sweet
    Nope. I prefer it bland and bitter...much like myself.
    you suspect Bill Clinton has murdered somebody somewhere in Arkansas.
    Why would I suspect that??? I still believe that he "did not have sexual realtions with that woman!"
    You wept uncontrollably all three times you went to see "The Passion of the Christ"
    I did...It was sad.
    and have ordered the DVD in bulk to give copies to friends.
    No...I don't buy DVDs or VHS, for that matter.
    You may watch Eternal Word Television Network
    Definetly not...I can't even be caught in church, let alone glued to a TV with some preacher shouting at me.
    and you adore Dr. Laura, Chuck Colson, James Dobson, and Rush Limbaugh
    Oh I do, do I? No thanks...
    You enjoy some episodes of "Joan of Arcadia" but think it's not reverent enough
    The problem with the show is it's lameness...not it's lacking reverence.
    --"Touched by an Angel" was better.
    Since when did angels come from Ireland anyway??? :eyes
    If you're Catholic, you go to Latin Mass and weekly confession, though you don't have much to confess.
    I'm not Catholic...and rightly so. As far as confession...my lips are perpetually sealed.
    You think homosexuals are sinful but try periodically to love them.
    Sure...why not.
    You think the surrounding culture is so polluted that you shop at Christian bookstores, listen only to Christian radio
    Our culture is polluted...but not enough to get me into one of those bookstores. And Christian radio??? No thanks.
    and send your kids to Christian or parochial schools--or homeschool them.
    No way. From first-hand knowledge, religion and school do not mix.
    The Bible provides you not only a direct connection to God but a roadmap for how to lead your life.
    I guess so...but the "map" only works if you follow it...unfortuately, I'm not very good at reading maps.
    "Nature! We are surrounded and embraced by her:
    powerless to separate ourselves from her, and powerless to penetrate beyond her.

Without asking, or warning, she snatches us up into her circling dance, and whirls us on until we are tired, and drop from her arms." - Goethe

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Übersoldat
    I like the traditional medieval or 'vulgar' Christianity of the folk without paying much respect on Bible quotations.
    This is somewhat my attitude as well.....as I often say, I usually only pay attention to the Wisdom Books(Proverbs, Psalms, Songs, etc). But Im not one who recites passage after passage off hand. So Im nowhere near a Bible thumper, and often have contempt for those types.

Last Online
    Monday, December 12th, 2005 @ 11:43 PM
    Subrace
    Baltid/Nordid
    Politics
    Croatian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is somewhat my attitude as well.....as I often say, I usually only pay attention to the Wisdom Books(Proverbs, Psalms, Songs, etc). But Im not one who recites passage after passage off hand. So Im nowhere near a Bible thumper, and often have contempt for those types.
    I find the older parts of the Old Testament very interesting because they contain some of the most ancient written beliefs and religious concepts inherited by the Sumerians, especially in the Genesiss.
    The Sumerian epic of Gilglamesh 3000 B.C and the Book of Genesis share the obvious parallels. In many cases the Jews (and other nomad Semitic nations) imitated the superior civilizations they came into contact with.

Last Online
    Friday, December 10th, 2004 @ 03:05 AM
    Subrace
    all Slav.serb/czech/russian
    Country
    European Union European Union
    student
    Politics
    1)Pan Slavist 2)Eurasianist
    Religion
    Pagan & Christian. abit of both.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am a "Left Leaning Traditionalist". That is interesting...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast