State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question Classify non-Russian

He's a very atypical example of a specific Turkic ethnic group within the Russian Federation, and definitely my racial kin.

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post 2

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post 3

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post 4

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Post Re: Classify non-Russian

Because he is partly Kumid?

Originally posted by ladygoeth33
    He's a very atypical example of a specific Turkic ethnic group within the Russian Federation, and definitely my racial kin.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Re: Re: Classify non-Russian

Am I Kumid?

I'm only familiar with Kumans/Kipchaks who are usually depicted as either Mediterranean or Mongoloid. :

Cumanians are also called Cuman, Kuman, Polovtsy, Kipchak, Qypchak, Kun, Kunok. Several other local names for them exist, usually the translation is "pale skinned." They were a nomadic pastoralists and warriors from Western Asia who spoke an Altaic-Turkic (Ponto-Caspian branch) language which is now extinct. A text known as the Codex Cumanicus is the most important and complete record of their language, which translates between Cuman, Latin and Persian. They lived in yurts (felt tents) and were excellent archers and horsemen. They fought with or against Byzantines, Kievan Rus, Hungarians, Pechenegs. Their arch enemies were the Mongols, who Europeans knew as Tartars. They arrived in Hungary in the mid 13th Century AD, driven west by the approaching Mongol horde. Hungary sheltered them, where they were often employed as feared mercenaries, fighting against the common enemy- the Mongols. But when the khan of the Cumanians was murdered and beheaded by a Hungarian noble, they rioted and fled to Bulgaria, pillaging Hungary as they went.

Last Online
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Smile Re: Re: Re: Classify non-Russian

Well, I was talking about that man. You're probably East-Baltic + Pontic and with a Kumid strain. As Turanid could be defined as EB/Pontic (or the Caspian race) + Kumid, then you're Turanid. But you're almost fully Europid. I cannot remember all of your ancestry. But you can correct me if that classification doesn't fit the racial types of the ancestors.

The Turanid is actually a Trans-Caspian (or Balkano-Caspian) or Pontic mixed with the older Kumid (coming from the Turkish kum=sand or desert) race. The Turanid racial region is north of the Caspian Sea.

It's possible, if you have ancestors from there.

Ladogan and the forest type is the same, and it has a "UP" strain, which could be a Borreby race or East-Baltic. That is hard to say. I would use Ladogan for those mixed with Nordic. Although both Turanid and Ladogan are vague terms for mixed types, and there is a large individual variation.

The living races and peoples of Europe by Bertil Lundman

The Mongolid strains in Europe belong mostly to the Kumid subrace of the Altaid race. Some Mongolid elements in northeastern Russia belong to another subrace - the Taigid. The former is very round-headed (brachycephalic), and almost medium tall in stature. The Kumid subrace is very high in the frequency of blood type gene q. The Taigid subrace is more long-skulled (dolichocephalic) and very short in stature. It is somewhat lower in the frequency of blood type gene q. Both Mongolid subraces are thickset, very low-skulled, broad-faced and rather broad-nosed.

There are Kumid strains in the Hungarian (Magyar) puszta (plain).

Am I Kumid?

I'm only familiar with Kumans/Kipchaks who are usually depicted as either Mediterranean or Mongoloid. :

Cumanians are also called Cuman, Kuman, Polovtsy, Kipchak, Qypchak, Kun, Kunok. Several other local names for them exist, usually the translation is "pale skinned." They were a nomadic pastoralists and warriors from Western Asia who spoke an Altaic-Turkic (Ponto-Caspian branch) language which is now extinct. A text known as the Codex Cumanicus is the most important and complete record of their language, which translates between Cuman, Latin and Persian. They lived in yurts (felt tents) and were excellent archers and horsemen. They fought with or against Byzantines, Kievan Rus, Hungarians, Pechenegs. Their arch enemies were the Mongols, who Europeans knew as Tartars. They arrived in Hungary in the mid 13th Century AD, driven west by the approaching Mongol horde. Hungary sheltered them, where they were often employed as feared mercenaries, fighting against the common enemy- the Mongols. But when the khan of the Cumanians was murdered and beheaded by a Hungarian noble, they rioted and fled to Bulgaria, pillaging Hungary as they went.
    :Newbie

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Re: Re: Re: Re: Classify non-Russian

hehe I wrote that passage about the Kuman for people who maybe don't know so much about "the East." You're being a wiseguy (smart ass).

I don't like to talk about myself, it's boring.

I'm German (Bavaria), West Slavic (Silesia & Czech), Flemish, British (Southwest), Russian (mostly Ural and Volga area), Baltic (Latvia), one Sámi (sometime in the 1860s?) and Bashkir (great-great grandmother).

This guy I posted is also Bashkir. He looks similar to descriptions of my ancestor, who was short, blonde, grey-eyed with a round head. She sounds like an East Baltic, at least partially. I can't be sure because there are no pictures of the lady.

It's hard to search the web in Hungarian, someday (maybe after 3 years) I'll be able to translate things decently. Here are some anthropological studies in Hungary:

Observations on anthropological research concerning the period of Hungarian conquest and the Arpadian age

Anthropological conclusions of the study of Roman and Migration periods

A 1985 study in Kőröshegy

In Kőröshegy three types have considerable prevalence:
    the Turanid (40.1 %),
    the Pamir (19.6 %)
    the Eastern Mediterrean (9.4 %)

Also mentioned is Kun, Khabar and Besenyő (Bulgars?) types being important to that area. It's a city 3km from Lake Balaton.

A honfoglaló magyarok élete (Life of the Conquest-era Hungarians)

This is a very special artwork
    http://www.kfki.hu/keptar/kep/m/munk...0-99/arpad.jpg
    Last edited by Evolved; Thursday, February 27th, 2003 at 10:56 PM.

Last Online
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Post Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Classify non-Russian

It's all about ourselves. It's inevitable that we can become narcissist to some extent when we're also interested in racial types, which is superficial in itself.

I was being a wiseguy, and you're a wise girl. I didn't want people to think that Kumids are almost Europid. I didn't know about the Kőröshegy studies. I appreciate the information you provided. I have been at Lake Balaton. It's a nice summer resort.

hehe I wrote that passage about the Kuman for people who maybe don't know so much about "the East." You're being a wiseguy (smart ass).

I don't like to talk about myself, it's boring.

I'm German (Bavaria), West Slavic (Silesia & Czech), Flemish, British (Southwest), Russian (mostly Ural and Volga area), Baltic (Latvia), one Sámi (sometime in the 1860s?) and Bashkir (great-great grandmother).

This guy I posted is also Bashkir. He looks similar to descriptions of my ancestor, who was short, blonde, grey-eyed with a round head. She sounds like an East Baltic, at least partially. I can't be sure because there are no pictures of the lady.

It's hard to search the web in Hungarian, someday (maybe after 3 years) I'll be able to translate things decently. Here are some anthropological studies in Hungary:

Observations on anthropological research concerning the period of Hungarian conquest and the Arpadian age

Anthropological conclusions of the study of Roman and Migration periods

A 1985 study in Kőröshegy

In Kőröshegy three types have considerable prevalence:
    the Turanid (40.1 %),
    the Pamir (19.6 %)
    the Eastern Mediterrean (9.4 %)

Also mentioned is Kun, Khabar and Besenyő (Bulgars?) types being important to that area. It's a city 3km from Lake Balaton.

A honfoglaló magyarok élete (Life of the Conquest-era Hungarians)

This is a very special artwork
    http://www.kfki.hu/keptar/kep/m/munk...0-99/arpad.jpg
    :Newbie x_p:Newbie

Last Online
    Thursday, March 30th, 2017 @ 05:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German and English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    mtDNA
    H
    Country
    Prussia Prussia
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

He looks short, fat, and east baltic, but there may be some other element that accounts for his red beard.

Actually I take back a previous statement that my dad would have some east baltic, since he is neither short nor fat, and no one in my family or any of my ancestors were either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast