Jastorf chauvinism
    Religion
    North Sea Aesthetic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Post West-Frisian 23AndMe results

As of recently, I decided to take an autosomal DNA test. The reason is to get more insight into my ancestry and provide more insight into West-Frisian/North-Dutch genetics. Frankly, there is not that much information on it. Lack of interest in testing is the primary reason being. My paper trail ancestry is 100% West-Frisian from the area of the Wālden, Friesland that corresponds roughly to most North-Eastern parts of the province. The company I decided to get tested with was 23AndMe, which provided the paternal haplogroup I2-Z161>L801>S2364>Y6060>Y5748 and maternal haplogroup U5b1a. I did deep-clade testing on my paternal haplogroup through the company FamilyTreeDNA. Both haplogroups seem to be found primarily in Germanic countries but are of Mesolithic origin. Furthermore, 23AndMe assesses you with an overview of Neanderthal DNA. I tested for 395 variants out of the 7,462 variants who 23AndMe tests. That is more than 100% of 23AndMe customers. The subregions I got matched with were Friesland, Groningen, Lower-Saxony, Normandy and Greater London. The biggest takeaway from this is the low amount of British & Irish I received. From my observations, most West-Frisian/North Dutch results I've seen contain around 20-30% British & Irish. Another takeaway was a large amount of Scandinavian DNA. The highest percentage I've seen so far compared to other Frisian/North Dutch results who score between 20-25% per cent per usual.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redmar For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 08:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German; Scot-Irish; Scandinavian
    Country
    United States United States
    Married
    Occupation
    Free Lance
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts
    I wouldn't expect you to have much English or Scottish if you are originally from Frisia or Holland unless your ancestors settled into the UK. More Europeans moved West into various countries. I don't put much value on those tests, genetic markers, and research should be accompanies by old-schooled genealogy too. How can these markers really differentiate between a Dane and Dutch person as we are really from a few Germanic tribes??? Linguists say that English comes from Frisian. Our ancestors really got around on their boats mostly to fish and farm, so far West that they settled and conquered the New World.

Retarded in mysterious ways
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago @ 03:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterland View Post
    How can these markers really differentiate between a Dane and Dutch person as we are really from a few Germanic tribes???
    There's never 100% accuracy on these tests, both due to the imperfections of the test analysis itself and due to some level of heterogeneity within populations. But I was surprised how accurate my own test was. Even getting the different regions of South-Eastern Norway pretty much spot on. And also picking up a tiny amount of Finnish that I had only heard rumors of in my genealogy, which corresponded well with the percentage I had guesstimated beforehand.

I did receive quite high percentages of Swedish though, without any regions specified, which I can't really explain genealogically. According to Juthunge, it merely indicates that my genetic profile is slightly more "East Scandinavian" than usual for Norwegians. That might be what's going on with Redmar's result as well. Otherwise, you only need 1 great-great-great-great-great grandparent to account for ≈1% of your genetics. Sometimes, that great-great-great-great-great grandparent happened to be British.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago @ 11:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    West Frisian
    Ancestry
    North-Sea Germanic
    Y-DNA
    I2-Y6060
    mtDNA
    U5b1a
    Country
    Frisia Frisia
    State
    Frisia Frisia
    Politics
    Jastorf chauvinism
    Religion
    North Sea Aesthetic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    There's never 100% accuracy on these tests, both due to the imperfections of the test analysis itself and due to some level of heterogeneity within populations. But I was surprised how accurate my own test was. Even getting the different regions of South-Eastern Norway pretty much spot on. And also picking up a tiny amount of Finnish that I had only heard rumors of in my genealogy, which corresponded well with the percentage I had guesstimated beforehand.

I did receive quite high percentages of Swedish though, without any regions specified, which I can't really explain genealogically. According to Juthunge, it merely indicates that my genetic profile is slightly more "East Scandinavian" than usual for Norwegians. That might be what's going on with Redmar's result as well. Otherwise, you only need 1 great-great-great-great-great grandparent to account for ≈1% of your genetics. Sometimes, that great-great-great-great-great grandparent happened to be British.
    It does not seem like a surprise, considering you are Eastern Norwegian. Scandinavian admixture on 23AndMe peaks in the border region of Norway and Sweden. The fact you have not received any communities on AncestryDNA suggests it is not of recent ancestry. The reason is that those tests only go back so far. It applies to me as well. Scandinavian admixture on 23AndMe is the most reliable source for Germanic DNA. Therefore, I highly doubt that I have any recent Scandinavian ancestors. Genealogy research does not confirm that either. You indeed are more Eastern Scandinavian shifted than Western Scandinavian. Likewise, like me, since I carry the average amount of Scandinavian admixture on 23AndMe as a Danish person. The Germanic people originating somewhere in Jutland makes it plausible. There is no other reason for me than classifying it as Proto-Germanic DNA.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redmar For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 02:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England/Britain
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R1b>U106>L48
    mtDNA
    H3af
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Leo
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Paying the bills
    Politics
    Confederate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    My paternal y chromosome "subclade" is R1b-L48, etc. A very common y haplogroup in northern Frisia these days, apparently. My earliest known paternal ancestor was from England in the early 17th century.
    "Almost every name belongs to well-known families of English stock....these soldiers were of ancient American lineage"- Prof. N.S. Shaler on the 1st Kentucky "Orphan" Brigade, Confederate States Army

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KYAnglo For This Useful Post: