Conservative
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hello again

I joined Skadi years ago but stopped posting for some reason which I don't remember. I got a happy birthday email from the site so I decided to come back. I miss little independent forums like this. Social media these days lacks the feeling of community that can grow in a forum like this one.

I'm from Michigan, not far from Holland, MI. My great, great grandpa immigrated here from Groningen, Netherlands in the 1860's and that is where I get my Germanic heritage. Otherwise, I am English, Welsh, and French.

Nice to be here!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nixe For This Useful Post:

Retarded in mysterious ways
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    12 Minutes Ago @ 03:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    985 Posts
    Welcome back. And happy birthday!
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Spirit of Saint Louis
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    American English
    Ancestry
    British English
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2a5a
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Trucker
    Politics
    South Demo Constituti Union
    Religion
    bapt. Anglican, conf. Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts
    Nixe, are you or are you not aware that your English heritage is just as Germanic as your Dutch? Even your French has some Germanic heritage in all likelihood related to the Dutch and your Welsh has an understated one with the English. All of this together plots smack-dab in NW Europe. Therefore, you are very welcome here.

I take it your interest in Orthodoxy has to do with their disinterest in most modern fancies and continued ethnic churches all within the same overall Christian community, yes? The Orthodox seem to have been able to maintain a relationship between general and specific manifestations of Christianity, something that Catholicism and Protestantism fell apart over.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 05:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Dutch, English, French, Welsh
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Libra
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Logistics
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rodskarl, honestly I wasn't aware that England and Wales were considered Germanic. That part of my ancestry is a bit muddy. My maiden name is a Welsh patronym, but my ancestor with that name who immigrated to America in the 1600's was English, from Kent. I assume he had Welsh in him because of his name but I don't know if that part of his genealogy has been traced. The French comes from my paternal grandmother, again by name only. She was also the descendant of an early immigrant. That makes me want to learn more about that part of my heritage, though. I guess I have much more to learn about the Germanic people.

In any case, growing up in West Michigan, my Dutch roots had much more impact on my formative years. At least when I was growing up, the area was almost entirely 3rd or 4th generation Dutch. At my school, we had half days in the spring for the Tulip Time festival, my friends did klompen dancing in the parade, my mom and grandma made head cheese and sauerkraut, and at least half my classmates were Van Der something or other. Holland has seen a lot of hispanic immigration in the last 20 years though, so I doubt kids these days have the same experience I did, although there are a few really good taquerķas that have sprung up in the last few years. I love a good taco but I kinda miss the old Holland.

I converted to Orthodoxy 2 years ago specifically for the reasons you mentioned. I am a member of one of the Patriarchal parishes of Moscow, but I love that I can go to any of the Antiochian or Romanian parishes in my area, or any other parish that is in communion with Moscow, and hear how they sing the Liturgy and be a part of the same holy, united, catholic Church. When I retire, I'd love to travel the world and attend Liturgies in every country where Orthodoxy exists. Before I became a Christian, I went to a few modern worship services and felt like I was at a rock concert. I don't like churches that have trendy names and cryptic symbols you can stick on the back of your SUV. Jesus doesn't need a marketing agency. His message is designed to be hated by the world, so if your goal is to win over as many people as possible, you have it all wrong IMO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nixe For This Useful Post: