Thread: Uefa Euro 2020 (European soccer championship)

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Zodiac Sign
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    560 Posts

Tired Uefa Euro 2020 (European soccer championship)

Who else wants to watch the soccer games?

Who are you rooting for?

Who do you think will win?

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/f...lts/#/md/33673

I watched the latter part of the first game which was a Italy vs Turkey match. The team from Italy wore white uniforms and the team from Turkey wore red. I saw goal #2 and goal #3. Italy beat Turkey 3-0.

There will be three matches today. I will watch them on Univision - TUDN on the over the air Spanish-language channel 23.1 since I don't have ESPN.

9 am ET Wales vs Switzerland

12 noon ET Denmark vs Finland

3 pm ET Belgium vs Russia

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

6th army lives matter
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,540 Posts
    I think Europe was massively rooting for the Italians last night, for obvious reasons. The opening ceremony in Rome was pretty good too, because of the measures it wasn't as elaborate as the one of the World Cup 1990, but Italy made the most of it. Andrea Bocelli sung Nessun Dorma.

Because of Corona, this tournament doesn't live in the hearts of the fans like it would otherwise, as the fan experience can never be the same. Not at one's job, next to the coffee machine, and not in pubs or the stadiums. You don't see any flags outside (although today I did, for the first time) and fan articles remain in the boxes they were already in last year. There are no giant screens anywhere and no festivals where people could gather and watch football.

All the same, while that segment of society that only watches football when a major international tournament is staged will follow the European championship somewhat less and they'll be less drawn in by it all - and that is a huge group - millions of others and pure football fans still do. It's not like there's much else on TV right now anyway. And I predict a very special tournament.

Who are you rooting for?
    I would've loved to root for Norway, but since they failed to make it to the tournament, I'll support the country with the best and most beloved fans - Scotland. Ireland has a similar great fan base, but Ireland didn't qualify for Euro 2020 either. I'll also support Hungary - because of political reasons. And perhaps Ukraine too, because at least it doesn't have (much in the way of) African players, and because Eduard Sobol plays for Ukraine. He plays as a wingback for my favorite club team in Belgium and he's a great guy, so I hope he does well with his national team.

I'm curious as to how virgin Finland will perform: this is their first time ever at a major tournament and they have my sympathy. It will be interesting to see how they can present themselves. For Finland this is a special tournament indeed, Corona or no Corona.

Who do you think will win?
    France is somewhat favorite to win, but not by miles. And Belgium is likely the second best team in the world right now. Hence France and Belgium could duke it out again like at the world cup in 2018. After them come the shadow favorites: of course Germany but also England. And then it's Italy. The winner is most likely going to be one of those 5 teams. But a European Championship does allow for surprise winners, unlike the world cup. Starting with less pressure and stress this time can help for instance Spain and Portugal.

For Flanders a German end victory is excellent, it will boost our economy for months to come. Flanders' open economy is intertwined with the German one and Germany acts as a locomotive for the export of Flemish products. Happy Germans simply spend more - on everything.

Politicians from ruling parties across the continent are abusing the tournament too - pretending everything is much more back to normal than it really is - also in the hope to take negative attention they receive away for a month. Here's the Belgian federal government trying very, very hard - the man on the right is the prime minister, Herman Decroo:

“As brothers and sisters we knew instinctively that if we were going to stand in darkness, best we stand in a darkness we had made ourselves.” - Douglas Coupland

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chlodovech For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Zodiac Sign
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    560 Posts
    My local over the air channel 23.1 hasn't been airing the soccer matches so I've been trying to watch the tournament on my laptop. www.tudn.com

Slovakia beat Poland today, 2-1. Yay!

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 12th, 2018 @ 02:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Luxembourg Luxembourg
    Family
    Two sisters
    Occupation
    Wyrd-weaver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    439 Posts

Hungary fans unveil anti-kneeling banner before Euro 2020 draw with France

Protest comes after supporters booed Irish team for taking knee.

Hungary fans held up an anti-kneeling banner as they marched through the streets of Budapest before the Euro 2020 match with France.

The protest against the anti-racism gesture took place as thousands of supporters made their way to the Puskas Arena on Saturday.

Other groups of fans walked behind large banners reading ‘brotherhood’ and ‘Magyarorszag’ – the Hungarian name for the country.

More: Independent

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Verđandi For This Useful Post:

6th army lives matter
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,540 Posts
    We're all Hungarians tonight.

After days of West-European news outlets and politicians attacking Hungary - calling its new law forbidding gay propaganda/gender ideology in schools and television erroneously anti-gay - and cities and towns outdoing eachother with pointless gestures such as rainbow colored football stadiums and public buildings, Hungary plays in gayified Munich where the authorities are extremely hostile and provocative towards their Hungarian guests. And all because Hungarians don't want leftist teachers/NGOs/activists to tell children about things they're much too young for and can't ever understand - this means these subversives can now recruit and brainwash less nor tell 7 year olds they were born in the wrong bodies.

And Hungary is - against all odds - currently leading with 0-1! This is not how liberals had dreamt this would go so far.

Before the game started, some wappy ran on to the pitch:

Fun fact: one of the Hungarian defenders is named Willy Orban - and he's doing great at this euros and again in this game.
    “As brothers and sisters we knew instinctively that if we were going to stand in darkness, best we stand in a darkness we had made ourselves.” - Douglas Coupland

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chlodovech For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Saturday, August 14th, 2021 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Pity Hungary are out.

I hope the nominal French, English and Belgian teams lose.
    Our beauty is our power, our strength. We can’t allow them to change us, to lessen us. I will never grant them that satisfaction, and neither should you!

White Oleander

Italy erupts as Europe's soccer champions come home to Rome

Italy erupts as Europe's soccer champions come home to Rome

Europe's soccer champions have returned home to the ecstatic cheers of Italians

ROME -- Europe's soccer champions returned home at dawn on Monday to the ecstatic cheers of Italians who spent the better part of the night honking horns, setting off fireworks and violating all sorts of coronavirus precautions to celebrate their team’s 3-2 penalty shootout win over host England at Wembley Stadium.

Captain Giorgio Chiellini, his fist pumping the air, and coach Roberto Mancini hoisted the trophy high over their heads as they descended from their Alitalia charter flight at Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci airport. Amid cheers from airport workers, defender Leonardo Spinazzola hopped down the steps on one foot, his other one in a cast after he injured his Achilles tendon earlier in the tournament.

"Grazie Azzurri,” read a banner on the tarmac — a sentiment felt across the country after Italy took home its first major trophy since the 2006 World Cup.

The national team was being feted officially by President Sergio Mattarella and Premier Mario Draghi later on Monday, joined by tennis player Matteo Berrettini, who had given Italians another reason for pride on Sunday by reaching the Wimbledon singles final. Berrettini lost to Novak Djokovic, but he joined Mattarella at Wembley to watch the Azzurri finish 1-1 after extra-time and then win on penalties.

There was enough joy to go around to even reach the 10th-floor hospital suite of Pope Francis, who, even before the Italian victory, could savor the triumph of the team from his native Argentina, which won the Copa America earlier at the weekend.

“In sharing the joy for the victory of the Argentine national and of the Italian national squads with the persons near to him, His Holiness dwelled on the meaning of sport and its values,” said Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni, in an update on the pope's convalescence in Rome following July 4 colon surgery. Bruni said Francis spoke of “that sporting ability to know how to accept any result, even defeat.” Quoting Francis, the spokesman added that he said that means in the face of life's difficulties "you can always put yourself into the game, fighting without surrender, with hope and trust.”

For Italians, the championship was a new beginning for their youthful national team and a country that’s been yearning to return to normality after being hit hard and long by the pandemic. A cacophony of honking cars, fireworks and singing fans filled the night in Rome as thousands of people took to the streets. As the sun rose on Monday, the noise had died down but not the sentiment. “It seems to me that this victory is so good for the national spirit after all that suffering for COVID," said Daniela Righino, an Italian living in Uruguay who was back in Rome for the final. “Yesterday was an explosion of joy. I’m happy.”

Many Italians saw the European Championship as a relaunch for a country that spent much of the past 16 months in various stages of lockdown. Italy was the first country outside Asia to get hit by the pandemic and suffered immensely, particularly in the spring of 2020 when hospitals in northern Italy were overwhelmed with patients and the death toll soared.

“It’s been a complicated year for everyone but especially for us who were one of the first countries hit. This is a signal of a new beginning,” said Michela Solfanelli, a 30-year-old event producer based in Milan.

Most virus restrictions have been lifted since the spring and those that remain were largely ignored by the mass of fans who danced in the streets of the capital chanting “we are champions of Europe.”

David Bellomo, a 23-year-old from the southern city of Bari, pointed out this was Italy’s second big victory this year, after Italian band Maneskin won the Eurovision Song Contest in May. “Thanks to Eurovision and thanks to this game and soccer we’ve managed to come back this year,” he said. “We almost got a triple,” he added, referring to Berrettini.

Shoulder to shoulder, fans nervously watched the penalties on two big screens set up on Piazza del Popolo, an elliptical cobblestone square at the edge of Rome’s historic center. A deafening roar rose to the sky as Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma saved England’s last penalty.

Among the sea of blue shirts was an immigrant family from Senegal, who came from the town of Zagarolo, an hour outside Rome, to experience the final with the crowd in the piazza. “I am not Italian, but I can feel the emotions. I feel it, as if I were Italian,” said Falilou Ndao, 42. “We really love this country.” His 13-year-old son Yankho, an Italy fan and young soccer player, was impressed by the team. “They showed courage. They never gave up, even when they were down by a goal,” he said. “It is so well-deserved. They have been playing great the entire tournament. Go Italy!”

Though people are still required to wear masks in crowded situations, police made no attempts to intervene as throngs of supporters poured out of the piazza, singing the national anthem and lighting flares. Fireworks cracked overhead as fans cruised through the city waving Italian flags from their cars.

Dr. Annamaria Altomare, a 39-year-old gastroenterologist, watched the spectacle with a friend from a safe distance. They were among the few wearing masks.

Italy erupts as Europe’s soccer champions come home to ... 12 VII 2021.

Penalities are a hard way to lose a final. Finals could / should be decided by a replay.

Italian soccer team - the 'legion' at play.

Italian team - all white Italians but for a Brazilian who has Italian citizenship.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 12th, 2018 @ 02:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Luxembourg Luxembourg
    Family
    Two sisters
    Occupation
    Wyrd-weaver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    439 Posts

Boris Johnson says people guilty of racist abuse of footballers online will be banned from matches

Sky.com

The PM says he is "taking practical steps to ensure that the football banning order regime is changed", but he is taken to task by Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer over the government's previous equivocation over whether fans should jeer England players for taking the knee.

Football banning orders will be changed to cover online racism in the wake of the social media abuse directed at England players, Boris Johnson has told MPs.

The prime minister said the change will mean "if you are guilty of racist abuse online of footballers then you will not be going to the match".

"No ifs, no buts. No exemptions and no excuses," he told the Commons.

Mr Johnson repeated his condemnation of the racist abuse on social media directed at England stars Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka.

The trio missed their spot kicks in England's penalty shootout defeat to Italy in the final of Euro 2020 at Wembley on Sunday.
    Advertisement

But Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer accused the PM of giving racism the "green light" and trying to stoke a "culture war" over the issue of England players taking the knee before matches to protest against racial injustice.

Mr Johnson's commitment follows on from Labour calling for football banning orders to be extended to cover online abuse.

Reacting to the news, the party's shadow culture secretary Jo Stevens said: "If Boris Johnson wanted to extend Football Banning Orders to include online racism he could have done this a long time ago. When will he put words into actions?"

Banning orders allow magistrates to stop individuals from going to matches in the UK if they are convicted of relevant offences, but currently do not cover incidents online.

They can last between three and 10 years and are largely imposed for violent and public disorder offences.

A petition calling for racists to be banned from matches has garnered more than one million signatures in two days.

Shaista Aziz, Amna Abdullatif and Huda Jawad - who call themselves The Three Hijabis in reference to their heritage and dress - created the petition on Monday.

Mr Johnson met with representatives from Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat and Instagram in Number 10 on Tuesday to discuss the issue of abuse on their platforms.

The PM said he "made it absolutely clear to them that we will legislate to address this problem in the Online Harms Bill", warning: "Unless they get hate and racism off their platforms they will face fines amounting to 10% of their global revenues."

Sir Keir challenged Mr Johnson on the issue as the pair clashed at Prime Minister's Questions.

He said the PM "can't have it both ways", pointing out that Mr Johnson at one stage failed to criticise supporters who jeered England players taking the knee.

Responding to Sir Keir asking if he regretted this, Mr Johnson replied: "We made it absolutely clear that no one should boo the England team."

Asked about the matter on 7 June, the PM's spokesman told journalists that England fans should "get behind" the Three Lions but refused to condemn England supporters who had booed players for taking the knee before their Euro 2020 warm-up matches.

"The prime minister supports individuals' rights to protest," the spokesman said, adding: "On taking the knee, specifically, the prime minister is more focused on action rather than gestures."

The Labour leader raised Priti Patel's description of taking the knee as "gesture politics" - and England defender Tyrone Mings accusing the home secretary of having "stoked the fire", asking: "He's right, isn't he?"

"I want to reiterate my support, our support, our total support for our fantastic team and I support them in the way that they show solidarity with their friends who face racism," the PM responded.

"The home secretary has faced racism and prejudice all her career of a kind that he can never imagine, and she has taken practical steps to get black and minority officers into the police in record numbers."

Earlier today Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told Sky News that criticism of Ms Patel's remarks over taking the knee was "unusual" and "odd".

"I thought the comments about Priti Patel were unusual, were odd, because she has spoken very movingly in the House of Commons about her own experiences and suffering from racism," he said.

Sir Keir accused Mr Johnson of "trying to stoke a culture war" on the issue before the tournament and said ministers were now backtracking now that they have "realised they're on the wrong side".

He said: "Why else would a Conservative MP boast that he's not watching his own team? Why else would another Conservative MP say that Marcus Rashford spends too much time playing politics when he's actually trying to feed children that the government won't?

"And why will the prime minister refuse time and time again - even now - to condemn those who boo our players for standing up against racism?

"What is it that this England team symbolises that this Conservative Party is so afraid of?"

The PM said he does not "want to engage in a political culture war of any kind, I want to get on with delivering for the people of this country".

Mr Johnson said Commons is "united" in admiration for the team, adding: "We stick up for them and what we're doing is taking practical steps to fight racism - changing the football banning regime, fining the online companies, and we will use more legislation if we have to - just as we used the threat of legislation to stop the European Super League."

Responding to an urgent question from Labour after PMQs, Home Office minister Victoria Atkins said the issue of football banning orders was "complex" as "some of the trolls that have targeted some members of the team at the weekend are overseas".

Further reading: Fresh arrest made over social media racist abuse of England footballers
    Marcus Rashford mural graffiti 'not racial', say police