2 Weeks Ago @ 11:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    722 Posts

Men Overspend to Attract Mates

Men are hardwired after eons of evolution to overspend, a new study suggests. Their maxed-out credit cards and mega-purchases have been tied to their desire to attract mates.

The biggest male spenders in the survey were found to have the highest number of reported past partners and desired the most future partners.

The finding, detailed in the current issue of the journal Evolutionary Psychology, did not hold with women.

Vying for women is simply what men do and have done for hundreds of thousands of years, said study leader Daniel Kruger, a social and evolutionary psychologist at the University of Michigan's School of Public Health. But how they entice mates has evolved.

"Men in the ancestral environment were valued if they were good providers," Kruger said. "Now we have this new consumer culture, so basically we show our potential through the consumer goods that we purchase, rather than being a good hunter or providing protection."

Kruger used data collected from telephone surveys of more than 400 men and women with an average age of 34 (100 men and 309 women). Participants rated how much they agreed with three statements about their financial habits, such as "I always live within my income range," and "Each income period, I set aside at least ten percent for savings."

(A person who highly agreed with the statements would be considered conservative in matters financial, as opposed to consumptive.)

They also indicated marital status and sexual partners (their count for the past five years and number desired in the future).

Men who spent more (saved less) and who were more likely to shell out more than they earned reported having more sexual partners in the past five years and desired more future partners than other guys in the study.

Specifically, the 25 percent of men who were most conservative about spending had an average of three partners in the past five years and desired about one partner in the next five years. The 2 percent of men with the riskiest financial strategies had double those numbers.

For women, financial consumption wasn't significantly related to past or future mates.

Kruger said the results could help to explain why so many people are in a financial mess right now.

"It is partially a result of our economic system and recent financial policies, but I really do think that our evolved mating strategies have an influence," Kruger said. "Our competition for economic displays drives our consumer economy and culture of affluence."

He added, "In terms of the current mortgage crisis, the findings suggest that one of the reasons why we overextend ourselves is that we're basically in a status race. We have expectations that spiral upward as people make more money, and everyone wants to show that they are better than average."

This research involved the secondary analyses of data from a project funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    https://www.livescience.com/3137-oog...act-mates.html

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 11:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England/Britain
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-U106>L48
    mtDNA
    H3af
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Single parent
    Politics
    Confederate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Not to mention the potential great expense to a man both financially and mentally of actually being "successful" in finding a mate and married to her for years. *laughing bitterly*
    "Almost every name belongs to well-known families of English stock....these soldiers were of ancient American lineage"- Prof. N.S. Shaler on the 1st Kentucky "Orphan" Brigade, Confederate States Army

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KYAnglo For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    North Western Europe
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KYAnglo View Post
    Not to mention the potential great expense to a man both financially and mentally of actually being "successful" in finding a mate and married to her for years. *laughing bitterly*
    ... or getting divorced. When she then can use the court system/state against the man.

I'm not convinced that the conspicuous consumption strategy does attract the right type of woman though. Sounds more like gold diggers, once the man gets pissed with overspending for the woman (and implements some austerity), the woman goes looking for greener pastures. That's how I would interpret the data from the survey.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theunissen For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 11:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England/Britain
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-U106>L48
    mtDNA
    H3af
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Single parent
    Politics
    Confederate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    or getting divorced. When she then can use the court system/state against the man.
    Unfortunately for me, been there, suffered through all that.
    "Almost every name belongs to well-known families of English stock....these soldiers were of ancient American lineage"- Prof. N.S. Shaler on the 1st Kentucky "Orphan" Brigade, Confederate States Army

Munchkin
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 12:29 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Unless the woman is a whore, she can't be bought.

Is sincerity a lost virtue?
    Not all in life is at it appears to be.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    North Western Europe
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LillyCaterina View Post
    Unless the woman is a whore, she can't be bought.

Is sincerity a lost virtue?
    I'd say women picking a bum is rather rare - in such a subculture, perhaps. That's it.
    I perfectly get, why women would like to have a man with assets and/or stable income. Someone that can provide, when in need.

The gold diggers are however another matter. Since this isn't about the wealthy environment, but about transferring it into their own pockets.

Fundamental Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    US, UK, IE
    Ancestry
    EN, IE, SC
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2a5a1
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    State
    Rhode Island Rhode Island
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Black-Smiter
    Politics
    Toryism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theunissen View Post
    I'd say women picking a bum is rather rare - in such a subculture, perhaps. That's it.
    I perfectly get, why women would like to have a man with assets and/or stable income. Someone that can provide, when in need.

The gold diggers are however another matter. Since this isn't about the wealthy environment, but about transferring it into their own pockets.
    Wonder what Gegenschlag has to say about this matter. As for myself, I was the one to do all the initial spending from a job already employed in, before my only future and current wife reciprocated upon getting her own source of income. That was high school and she has since been a homemaker with me at work, but no big money here. It's a sacrifice to spend quality family time together. Little moments are priceless.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodskarl Dubhgall For This Useful Post:

Munchkin
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 12:29 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theunissen View Post

I'm sure it happens that some women fall for "bums", but I was referring to good men who think they have to buy women to get them. If a man thinks he has to do this, then chances are he's buying a future filled with trouble and heartache.

Both men and women seeking romantic love should always be sincere with their prospective partners. And never enter a relationship under false pretenses or with ulterior motives. This is all so wrong and spells doom for relationships.
    Not all in life is at it appears to be.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post: