Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

What Causes Dj Vu?

Ever experienced a "dj-vu" ("already seen")? What are your thoughts about it?

* Collective memory?
    * Brain dysfunction?
    * Ability to foresee things, but we don't know how to use this ability and can't control it, so it suddenly "pops up" sometimes without warning?
    Lk brn leika best.

Friend of Germanics
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, January 16th, 2021 @ 08:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Yes indeed. I would reckon that I have a deja vu every month or two. I can sense them coming on and I try to open my mind and experience the phenomena to its fullest. It is an odd sensation but also somewhat enjoyable. I don't think that I've ever had a deja vu during a bad event--only during neutral and good times...

Curious, eh?

Last Online
    Saturday, March 7th, 2020 @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Religion
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've had dj vu a number of times as well as premonitions.

Dj vu (or the feeling an experience has "already happened") could be a "warning system" of the mind / spirit. In the same way, that premonitions and telepathic communications are "warning systems".

Some people have highly advanced communication systems within the mind that make them aware of events before they happen (premonitions).

I have often experienced thoughts of devices (inventions) before they've been mass-marketed and predicted certain events or changes before they've occured.

This is very minor and may sound crazy but ever since Michael Keaton decided he didn't want to play the roll of Batman anymore I have predicted every "Batman" since... George Clooney, Val Kilmer, etc. Hah.

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I get it a few times a year. Well, it's hard to say, since time gets all mixed up.

I get recurring dreams, but I couldn't tell you how often I have a certain one; I just know in the morning that I've had that dream several times before!

I've had dVu in pleasant and unpleasant situations (trying to explain to an irate factory manager why you've pronged 50,000 worth of stock with your forklift truck!).
    However, in my teens and early twenties I took loads of acid, so maybe I'm having flashbacks. eyes:

I KNOW I've had premonitions, in fact I'm going to write a thread about it!

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 @ 01:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    This word always makes me laugh. Mnage trois also, but that is clearly off topic. Back to topic. Yes, dj vecu (already experienced) happens to me very oftently. It's a strange sensation. I can't explain it. I feel like weird when it comes.

The term dj vu is French and means, literally, "already seen." Those who have experienced the feeling describe it as an overwhelming sense of familiarity with something that shouldn't be familiar at all. Say, for example, you are traveling to England for the first time. You are touring a cathedral, and suddenly it seems as if you have been in that very spot before. Or maybe you are having dinner with a group of friends, discussing some current political topic, and you have the feeling that you've already experienced this very thing -- same friends, same dinner, same topic.

Related terms

* Paramnesia - a disorder of memory: a) condition in which the proper meaning of words cannot be remembered; b) the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time -- called also dj vu
    * Jamais vu - a disorder of memory characterized by the illusion that the familiar is being encountered for the first time

Source: Merriam Webster Medical Dictionary

The phenomenon is rather complex, and there are many different theories as to why dj vu happens. Swiss scholar Arthur Funkhouser suggests that there are several "dj experiences" and asserts that in order to better study the phenomenon, the nuances between the experiences need to be noted. In the examples mentioned above, Funkhouser would describe the first incidence as dj visit ("already visited") and the second as dj vecu ("already experienced or lived through").

As much as 70 percent of the population reports having experienced some form of dj vu. A higher number of incidents occurs in people 15 to 25 years old than in any other age group.

Dj vu has been firmly associated with temporal-lobe epilepsy. Reportedly, dj vu can occur just prior to a temporal-lobe epileptic attack. People suffering an epileptic seizure of this kind can experience dj vu during the actual seizure activity or in the moments between convulsions.

Since dj vu occurs in individuals with and without a medical condition, there is much speculation as to how and why this phenomenon happens. Several psychoanalysts attribute dj vu to simple fantasy or wish fulfillment, while some psychiatrists ascribe it to a mismatching in the brain that causes the brain to mistake the present for the past. Many parapsychologists believe it is related to a past-life experience. Obviously, there is more investigation to be done.
    http://people.howstuffworks.com/question657.htm
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

-Oh my God, but you're a neo-nazi?!...
    -But why neo?

Last Online
    Saturday, November 20th, 2010 @ 05:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ancestry
    Ireland/Wales/Germany/Norway
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Writer
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Plato touched on it in some of his work on the immortality of the soul. It was used as an example, that we think we have seen something before and indeed, for Plato, we have but in a different situation which we get a fleeting glimpse of.

Slainte

Last Online
    Sunday, November 11th, 2007 @ 10:53 PM
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid? + East-Baltid?
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    Historical Costumer
    Politics
    NS leanings
    Religion
    Folkish Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I have experienced it before but not in a long time. I think some experiences are similar enough to each other (at least in the way our brain jots them down) that our synapses tell us for a moment "file already exists do you want to overwrite?" I think I do not experience it any longer because I have become highly attuned to finite details of energy/chemistry so I sense the difference and the experience may still feel " familiar" but not DjV. I experience Jamais vu, or Vuja De quite often where I figure something out and then forget I have figured it out and go through the process again. Yup, little glitches in my memory, It feels like DjV for a moment and then I just feel stupid:-)
    Genuine premonitions are a plausible explanation for some peoples experience. I occasionally have minor "premonitions" but I chalk that up to good pattern recognition skills, a high sensitivity to little clues, and general awareness of the way things/people work. I'm a sensitive not a psychic:-)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Could be because it becomes less and less common after 25 years old. Btw, it's Dj vu, not Vuja De.

-But why neo?

Last Online
    Sunday, November 11th, 2007 @ 10:53 PM
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid? + East-Baltid?
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    Historical Costumer
    Politics
    NS leanings
    Religion
    Folkish Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weg
    Btw, it's Dj vu, not Vuja De.
    I am slightly dislexic but Vuja De is the term I have heard to describe a situation that has happened before seeming new. The opposite of Dj vu:-)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifsvina
    I am slightly dislexic but Vuja De is the term I have heard to describe a situation that has happened before seeming new. The opposite of Dj vu:-)
    Ha... My mistake. Yet it means nothing in French. What you describe should be called "Jamais Vu" (never seen) rather. I'm a little bit annoying, I know.

-But why neo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast