Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

I had to say good-bye to my little soulmate recently

Recently, I had to put down my 12.5 year old cat, Honey. She was a Mainecoon or Bobcat mix, I think. I was never quite sure her exact breed, but she had a very feisty and wild side to her. It was a challenge at first for me to train and even tame her (hence why I think she had more Bobcat and I believe the pet store said she was bred from Bobcats). But, it was really rewarding when I formed that deep connection with her. I remember the first day I got her, my parents brought her home when she was 2 to 3 months old and my dogs were crowding around the crate they had her in. I pulled her out of it and she hissed at my dogs. I brought her into my room as a safe place for her to play and eat. That night I remember she played a lot in my room with the toys we got her and she eventually jumped onto my bed and snuggled up with me. This became a regular routine eventually with us, as over the years I would dedicate at least 30 minutes to an hour of play and attention time to her every day I could (at some point I worked a full time job during the 2010s, so it was difficult for me to always pay attention to her). This year when the Covid lockdowns started to occur in the US I started working from home and found I had way more time to dedicate to spending time with her. This year especially has been really tough on me. Honey helped me get through a lot of depressing points in my life and she always was that little bit of light in my day. I feel like at times I took the bond we had for granted and I actually regret not spending enough time with her as I should have. She really taught me never take for granted the ones you have in your life.

She basically came down with cancer in her throat and her kidneys were failing. Back in 2016 she somehow got an autoimmune disease. We were never sure how she got it, but I think she got it from one of the other cats or got into a cat fight (there was a stray Tom in my neighborhood I think she fought with) and we never noticed any wounds on her, because her fur was so thick. I think on top of having the feline immune disease, her health declined rapidly within a few days. I repeatedly took her to the vet to receive treatment and they did the best they could given the situation (my family has been with this vet for 20 years). I legitimately thought she had a good 3 to even 5 more years on her, because the week prior to putting her down, she seemed so healthy & full of energy and we were playing with each other. It all happened so fast, I tried to consult the vet and get her the treatment, but it would have been torture for her to go through and the day I made the decision her health plummeted hour by hour it seemed. She couldn't even eat or drink water at that point. I chose to drive her to the vet alone and handle it. I knew I was the only one she trusted and wanted to be there. I was in the room when they put her down and I held her when it happened. I literally felt the life leave her and that was one of the toughest decisions I had to made. Whenever I gave her attention time, her and I would listen to music and I played a specific song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3kOyzJL7SY) for her before she passed.

In the past I've made a few mentions about her here on Skadi. I just wanted to share this because this year has been so tough and I want everyone on here to know that even when times seem dark, when days don't go well and you feel like breaking down, there is someone in your life that loves you, even if it is the smallest creature you know. Always treat your little soulmates with the utmost respect when its time for them to go and be there for them when it happens. Good night, sweet princess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	126937554_1791397277677625_3044732298110261512_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	115678

Name:	127143532_1791397251010961_1501862069709210513_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	115679

Name:	127033743_1791397327677620_5274199271494597582_n.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	115680

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ediruc For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago @ 02:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Demolition
    Politics
    Far Right
    Religion
    Anti-Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for the dedication you have written. I lost my dog a couple of years ago and am just now ready to adopt again. I hope the coming months will be easier for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wulfram For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    22 Hours Ago @ 07:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German; Scot-Irish; Scandinavian
    Country
    Prussia Prussia
    Married
    Occupation
    Free Lance
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    I'm sorry about your pet loss. I lost my two dogs too over the last 4 years from cancer and a heart attack. I had adopted from shelters too, but I adopted a younger dog this time from the shelter. After a few years of my pet loss, I decided to adopt again due to homeless pet problems in our area. I made another commitment. The dogs don't have the same personalities, although they are of the same breeds. I still miss my old dog; however, we love our new dog too. She is crazy affectionate.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 03:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Librarian
    Politics
    Conservative, nationalist
    Religion
    Anglican Church in North America
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I'm so sorry to hear that! She looks beautiful.

Last Online
    13 Hours Ago @ 03:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    My condolences. She looks just like my mothers old cat whiskers.