Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Vínsk
    Ancestry
    Engelsk (Autosomal), Uppland (Y-DNA) och Dalarna (mtDNA)
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2A5A1
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Väring och Víking
    Politics
    Munsöätten
    Religion
    Forn Sed
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    I used to be confused about how or why our Norwegian forefathers went to England by the Irish Sea, since it seemed easier to conceive of landfall by the North Sea.

Our Oslo forefather was named Auduid and this may've been more common in Sweden and even more than one of said name made it to England, but Oslo is adjacent to Sweden, hence our Y-DNA match being Merritt, which means Mark-Geat according to Oxford. The Geats occupied that part of Sweden adjacent to Oslo, hence Gothenburg. Furthermore, the Y-DNA matches of Copeland and Kendall prove that our Yorkshire Dales forefathers arrived on the West coast through the Lake District and not the East coast through the North York Moors. Morecambe and not Humberside was our entrance, so it's very fitting to leave England for Boston, New England Merseyside via Liverpool, entirely coming and going in the old Diocese of Chester, with only a short interlude in London.

So, the question why we went to England rests with how inconvenient our circuitous trajectory from Oslo was to put into port, unless taking in consideration that Norwegians were interested in Ireland beyond Scots first and foremost. England was the rebound destination, for Brian Boru of Munster sent us off packing in a pyrrhic victory costing his life, but the irony was that we soon afterward united the thrones of Dublin and York under one Norwegian king. To be sure, direct rule of Northumbria by the King of Norway was achieved in the person of Eric Bloodaxe, son of Harald Hairfair and until 954, followed up by Harald Hardrada in 1066, but England in the Southeast was generally a dominion of Denmark and rather choked out Norwegians save by way of Scots and Ireland in the Northwest.

Therefore, Danes in England and Norwegians in Ireland were largely responsible for the linkage between England and Ireland under the Norman Crown, amplified in magnitude to become Great Britain with the addition of the Scots in the colonial period cementing Ulster in particular as the Northern Ireland remaining alongside. This illustrates how interwoven the British Isles are beyond simplistic notions of "evil Saxons" conquering "good Celts".

The reason why our R1A-Z284 Y-DNA doesn't show Swedish is because it's most common in Norwegians of the most populous metropolises Oslo and Trondheim. R1B is most common in the third most populous metropolis of Bergen, but unrelated haplogroup I1 is the most common throughout the rural counties of Norway generally. I1-majority Sweden happened to annex Båhus from Norway only in the colonial period and it's still as Norwegian in demography as Skåne on the border of Denmark still remains Danish from time before the House of Vasa annexed them too.

Roslagen til Danelagen
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Vínsk
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2A5A1
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Väring och Víking
    Politics
    Munsöätten
    Religion
    Forn Sed
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    To explain the mechanism by which my clan made it to Dublin first and onward to York, I've now understood the fact that although Harald was known to be King of the Vestfold, his seat of power was at Avaldsnes on Karmøy in Rogaland. It's easy to see us out of the East as having followed the King's train around Agder before actually embarking from the West, in order to make a straighter orientation across the seas.

There's an obvious difference in British Isles settlement being connected with political aspirations securing the Vik from Denmark, absent from colonial infrastructures for mere husbandmen in the Faroes, Iceland, Greenland and Vinland. Not only is this evidenced by independent kings of Dublin and York and no such ranks elsewhere off the Norwegian Sea, but the physical presence of Harald's scions ruling both in the Vestfold and in York, such as Bloodaxe himself. Bloodaxe died on Stainmore near where my forefathers settled down for 900 years until the Regency period and it's possible that they would have met and/or hosted him on his travels across the Pennines, where more Norse like us could be found to back him up in York.

In all of this, I'm conscious of the Irish Sea focus of our kin, despite moving from the Lakes to the Dales. Yes, we were the only Teutonic wave arriving from this direction, so it's no wonder we're obscured by the more numerous Danes who ruled us for seemingly most of the time from the North Sea. Bluetooth is memorialised on his runestone with his rule over Norway, after all. Trønders also seemed to conspire in that, rather than assent to our "Westfaldingi" rule over the whole kingdom, in the hope that those in Lejre would be too distracted to bother them, but which sold us out. Although I would prefer Sweden return Båhus and Jemtland to Norway, I'm not informed enough to know whether Danes first arose on Zealand or Skåne, but if the latter, perhaps Swedes should find regional interest in Denmark more just than the status quo has been.

Roslagen til Danelagen
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Vínsk
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2A5A1
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Väring och Víking
    Politics
    Munsöätten
    Religion
    Forn Sed
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    To get a good picture of the Danes in settling England, it was situated pretty much like this: Víken to Northumbria (overlapping with Norwegians), Skåne to Mercia, Sjælland to East Anglia and Jylland to Wessex. Those are very good matches.

I'm pretty comfortable with my paternal lineage being from West Götaland, my cousin's from central Götaland and our cousins together from East Götaland in Finland and Poland. We shot out in different directions, but our heart is among the Götar.

Roslagen til Danelagen
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Vínsk
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2A5A1
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Väring och Víking
    Politics
    Munsöätten
    Religion
    Forn Sed
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    The point of dispersal appears to have been Bohuslan when still owned by Denmark, because there is one S6285 test result there close in STRs to BY30613 and the only other one in Scandinavia is on the Baltic side of South Jutland. It would seem that Danish ownership of Viken led to my clan going to Denmark proper and also the Danelaw (my specific line) probably at the same time. The window of opportunity for this was 800-955, during which time Denmark owned the Vik whilst Ragnar Lothbrok and sons were active in the Danelaw. This was before Harald Fairhair annexed it to Norway and Erik Bloodaxe followed us to York likewise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12