Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Some fashion trends have never been healthy. Occasionally today, inspectors will find lead in nail polish and lip stick from Asia. Lead is a cheap softener and natural element that might be found in pigments and ground rock to produce make-up and fine powders. I refuse to buy beauty products from Asia anymore and trust European and American standards. Make-up is not very good for your face so it's best to wear little as possible to avoid contamination. There is still a debate on the safety of zinc-oxide used in base and sunscreen products. Sometimes, purses, shoes, and hats also come up "hot" with harmful chemicals. Today, it's about making money and not ignorance. Our current technologies have surpassed the older winter clothing like furs, feathers, and wool to protect from the colder climates. We can even print out animal patterns on fabrics to look "real" or enjoy soft faux furs.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 07:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celtic
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Vagrant
    Politics
    Nativism/Nationalism
    Religion
    Summum bonum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterland View Post
    Some fashion trends have never been healthy. Occasionally today, inspectors will find lead in nail polish and lip stick from Asia. Lead is a cheap softener and natural element that might be found in pigments and ground rock to produce make-up and fine powders. I refuse to buy beauty products from Asia anymore and trust European and American standards. Make-up is not very good for your face so it's best to wear little as possible to avoid contamination. There is still a debate on the safety of zinc-oxide used in base and sunscreen products. Sometimes, purses, shoes, and hats also come up "hot" with harmful chemicals. Today, it's about making money and not ignorance. Our current technologies have surpassed the older winter clothing like furs, feathers, and wool to protect from the colder climates. We can even print out animal patterns on fabrics to look "real" or enjoy soft faux furs.
    Believe it or not, several Asian countries have higher safety standards for cosmetics than America, we've fallen very, very far behind I'm afraid. Even amongst sunscreens we're in the dark ages, Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan, and even Korea have many more and *better* filters than we do - we haven't approved a new filter in over a decade (there's some pass-the-buck reasoning about this being because filters are regulated as a drug here but even that's not fully explanatory).

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago @ 04:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German; Scot-Irish; Scandinavian
    Country
    Prussia Prussia
    Married
    Occupation
    Free Lance
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Thanks for your warning. We seem to be behind in everything. You can probably get similar US products, but you have to get a prescription from the zillion dermatologists, more costs. There is one good sunblock according to doctors, Neutrogena. I used sun sports often, and they seem to work somewhat with a beach tent. We all get mildly burnt 4x"s even with beach tents and at pools, so I have a nice tan at this point. (I don't like tanning though.) I'll look for some European sunblock on the Internet if they sell it here?

The sun along the Mediterranean Coast does not equal the strength of FL, TX, and NM. These are hot States like North Africa and similar to the latitude of Egypt. Norwegians, Germans, Danes, and Poles like getting a good tan before they return to Europe. I laugh because they CAN get dark doing outdoor sports mainly like fishing, sailing, and going to the beach or parks.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 07:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celtic
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Vagrant
    Politics
    Nativism/Nationalism
    Religion
    Summum bonum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterland View Post
    Thanks for your warning. We seem to be behind in everything. You can probably get similar US products, but you have to get a prescription from the zillion dermatologists, more costs.
    Honestly, I wouldn't doubt it, not with all the mischief behind prescription retinols that you can buy OTC in many, many other countries.

There is one good sunblock according to doctors, Neutrogena. I used sun sports often, and they seem to work somewhat with a beach tent. We all get mildly burnt 4x"s even with beach tents and at pools, so I have a nice tan at this point. (I don't like tanning though.) I'll look for some European sunblock on the Internet if they sell it here?
    I'm kind of on a quest myself to get this infamous La Roche Posay Anthelios Shaka Fluid 50+ sunscreen that's apparently available all over Europe (but not here ofc) with excellent UVA ratings from a reputable seller. I found a legitimate French pharmacy website called Cocooncenter with a UK division that ships to the USA but won't ship LRP products out of the European zone (*screams*). I'll update if I find a legitimate seller with sensible shipping, I don't play russian roulette with ebay or amazon for skincare.

I don't know about the staying power of the smaller, facial sunscreens that Neutrogena sells for water/sports situations though I know they come recommended, but I can recommend the Neutrogena Beach Defense lotions, I don't trust sprays at all after a nightmare sunburn from the beach when I was little, but the lotions (I think they come in SPF 50 and 70) really do work for not getting burnt. There is a coconutty-tropical scent to them and they can sting the eyes if they drip down so I wouldn't put it on the face, or at the very least not above the under-eye, but you can't really beat them for the body - they're cheap for the size and usually come with $1-2 off coupons. You do have to reapply them when it says to, it's really a massive pain when there's sand involved, but it gets the job done. I have very fair and sensitive skin so I can relate to the relentless quest for decent sun protection.

For sports, I've tried the Bull Frog brand in the past, had pretty good staying power in the pool (I also think it was a gel?) but I remember it being a bit expensive. The Alba mineral sunscreens work, they used to go on sale around the summer, but they don't look nice (really ghostly white cast) and are a pain to spread. I've heard really good things about the CVS brand clear zinc for the face, apparently it's under $5. Been meaning to try Blue Lizard at some point as well.

The thing with the Asian sunscreens is that barely any of them are adequate for sports applications, they're more for everyday anti-aging (and some of them are *very good* for that, whenever you see PA+++ or even PA++++ now on the label it means a high UVA-blocking capacity) and cosmetically elegant formulas for under-makeup. A couple of very reputable websites with decent prices and frequent sales to get those: yesstyle (based out of Hong Kong) and jolse (based out of South Korea).

That said, there are some US sunscreens who still manage to create decent UVA ratings with limited filters - I know that Supergoop has done some UVA testing and their Everyday and Unseen screens have PA++++ and PA+++ (in Europe it's another similar but not equivalent rating called PPD). They're kinda pricey but I think they've both been on sale recently. EWG, which I take with a grain of salt, but does provide some good data every now and then on cosmetic ingredients and water testing, did an article a decade ago about US sunscreens failing at UVA protection but did mention that Neutrogena had some of the highest ratings, highest meaning legal for the European market at the time rofl, so they're probably a safer bet at the drugstore if you just want to grab one and go.