Sunday, April 18th, 2021 @ 12:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts

Survey: Atheists Know More About Religion Than Believers

Have a question about religion? You ought to ask someone who has completely rejected it.

According to a survey conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, atheists and agnostics tend to know more about religion than members of most faiths, the Los Angeles Times reports. For example, most Protestants could not identify Martin Luther as the founder of the Protestant movement. Atheists took the top spot in the survey, followed by a tie between Mormons and Jews.

Why did atheists do so well? The study concluded that those who reject faith often do so after growing up in a religious household, and studying and deliberating keeping the faith. Also, atheists and agnostics tend to be better educated in general. Why did Christians do so poorly? It may be because once someone accepts a faith, they stop examining it.

The survey had one bright spot, at least: 80% of respondents knew that Mother Teresa was a Catholic.
    https://newsfeed.time.com/2010/09/28...han-believers/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago @ 07:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    623 Posts
    Lol. Most atheists know one or two talking points they all get from the same location.
    I know how atheists are I used to be one.

Víking < Göte = Jórvík < Víkin
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Blackstone < Swale < Vänern
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    K
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mill fowk
    Politics
    Elizabeth II of GB & NI
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Atheist diatribes are so predictable and overwrought they make me snicker and yawn until losing my patience, no different than the average pious extrapolations. Science and religion are apples and oranges, so asymmetric arguments will never go anywhere for them than for the pious they bicker endlessly with. I much prefer Agnostics, save for the dishonesty of wholesale non-committalism, a bit like the philosophical counterpart to political Libertarians. I do my utmost to sidestep all the usual brainfarts obsessing the equivalent of Democrats and Republicans in spiritual matters. How embarrassing it is to be drawn into their quagmires.

Last Online
    Monday, November 9th, 2020 @ 10:45 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    9½ years old, the author a person named Friedman , citing an article , that is not available under it's original link .
    Mk 10:18 What do you call me a good master, no-one is good .

Gylfaginning 1.39 But on wine alone Odin in arms renowned Forever lives.

6th army lives matter
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,543 Posts
    The questions from the survey seem like a pop quiz about religious history. And if you don't know Martin Luther started Protestantism, then you also don't know what the 30 year war was. Your knowledge of history is going to be non-existent in general.

Why did atheists do so well? The study concluded that those who reject faith often do so after growing up in a religious household, and studying and deliberating keeping the faith.
    Probably true, especially for hardcore atheists, whether they've been brought up religiously or not. And all the more so in the U.S.

Why did Christians do so poorly? It may be because once someone accepts a faith, they stop examining it.
    I don't think that's the answer at all. People who accept a religion, as opposed to being born into it, tend to examine their new religion and are often more hardcore than those who inherited a faith from their parents. And even the latter category doesn't necessarily stop to learn about their religion.

As with all these studies, it's what a study fails to take into account which is the most revealing. Which Christians are we talking about? I wouldn't expect nominal Christians to do better than other citizens. Obviously German Lutherans would've known who the founder of Protestantism was as opposed to many Born Again Christians in the U.S.

As soon as we dive into religion for real though, not just basic historical knowledge, atheists across the board will fail to answer questions properly too. How many atheists can name the seven works of mercy? Or even the ten commandments? How many can name three parables? Or three deadly sins? Or how the trinity operates? The significance of ash wednesday or Holy Communion? Only atheists who left Christianity behind can do so. Atheists in general know nothing about religion beyond what they could've learned in high school either. And ultimately Christianity isn't about knowing what branch of Christianity Mother Teresa belonged to either, it's rather irrelevant in the big picture. There won't be a pop quiz in the after life, before you enter Heaven, for instance.

This survey hardly matters then.
    “As brothers and sisters we knew instinctively that if we were going to stand in darkness, best we stand in a darkness we had made ourselves.” - Douglas Coupland