Germanic
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Post Re: Jesus of the East

Quote Originally Posted by Taras Bulba
    The Catholic and Orthodox churches teach Jesus was a Hebrew, which is not the same as a Jew.
    Here are commonly accepted definitions of "Hebrew" and "Jew":

A word on terminology. The words "Hebrew" and "Jew" may seem to be used interchangeably in the following notes, but in fact the people known as the Hebrews do not properly become known as Jews until the dominant tribe known as Judah is reestablished in the land of Judah (later called Judaea by the Romans) after the Babylonian Exile in 539 BCE. The Hebrew language fell out of common use some time after that period, being replaced by Aramaic: but the Biblical texts continued to be studied by pious men in their original language in Judaea. It was Jews living abroad in the Hellenistic world who first translated the text into Greek, incidentally providing access to these writings for the early Christians. link
    So, if Jesus had lived prior to the Babylonian exile he would be a "Hebrew." Since he came afterward, he is a "Jew."

Or again:

There are three names used in the New Testament to designate this people, (1.) Jews, as regards their nationality, to distinguish them from Gentiles. (2.) Hebrews, with regard to their language and education, to distinguish them from Hellenists, i.e., Jews who spoke the Greek language. (3.) Israelites, as respects their sacred privileges as the chosen people of God. "To other races we owe the splendid inheritance of modern civilization and secular culture; but the religious education of mankind has been the gift of the Jew alone." link
    It would seem from this definition that "Jew," "Hebrew," and "Israelite" all designate the same people. They just have different connotations.

Finally, I believe everyone agrees that the mother of Jesus was a Jew, which would make Jesus half Jewish by his mother.

This all seems pretty straightforward. So what am I missing here?

In particular, can you refer me to an authoritative Roman Catholic source for the view that Jesus was a Hebrew but not a Jew, and that "Hebrew" and "Jew" do not refer to the same race, commonly called "Jews"?

I'm sincerely interested in this line of thinking. Thanks....

Sideways to the Sun
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 18th, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ogenoct
    What is wrong with Christ? Why side-line him to the Jewish stranglehold? Why not liberate him from it? Why not celebrate Jesus as an Aryan avatar? Of course, my contribution belongs in the Christian section because Christ is THE savior! If you you have a fagotty [Christian] problem with this particular interpretation, please say so now. Not that I care...

Constantin
    So Christ is the saviour but Christianity is "Faggoty"? You do see the paradox in that, don't you? So does everyone have a claim on Jesus except authentic Christians? I follow the teaching of the only Church instituted by Christ Himself. So in all honesty you could tell me he rose again, founded all the worlds major religions (even by travelling back in time), built a spaceship and saved various alien peoples as well. But I can't say I particularly care either.
    It is your perogative to be wrong

Last Online
    Monday, December 12th, 2005 @ 11:43 PM
    Subrace
    Baltid/Nordid
    Politics
    Croatian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That article reminds me on Hare-Krishna pipe dreams. Those Indian hippies are a pest, much like the Jehovites. I always unleash the hounds when I see the religious freaks approaching the yard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12