Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: More than 50.000 Immigrants in Iceland

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Gegenschlag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 03:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Swiss-German
    Subrace
    Pred. (Hallstatt) Nordic
    Gender
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    to every man a woman of his race
    Posts
    205
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    64
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin View Post
    In Iceland you can't even have dinner for one person for 20-25 Euros.
    And just try to find accommodation; you probably start around 70€/night if you don't want to stay in a dorm with 7 other people.
    Nonetheless, you won't get a job without address, you don't get an address without kennitala, you don't get a kennitala without a job.
    As a Scandinavian though, you do.
    Then how do all of these Eastern Europeans get jobs in Iceland?

  2. #22
    Moderator
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Blod og Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Engaged parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Posts
    763
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    207
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    479
    Thanked in
    263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenschlag View Post
    Then how do all of these Eastern Europeans get jobs in Iceland?
    As far as I know, it's easier to get a Kennitala as a EU/EEA citizen. One acquaintance of mine moved to Iceland and he at first stayed in an airbnb. He registered for a temporary Kennitala and after he could rent an apartment. The temporary Kennitala expires in 3 months however (which is the maximum you can stay without a job), so you have to make sure you get a job by the time it expires.

  3. #23
    Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Blutwölfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 11:03 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    4,117
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    125
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenschlag View Post
    Then how do all of these Eastern Europeans get jobs in Iceland?
    They are mostly seasonal workers, who work as cleaners and in service (restaurants, hotels) in the tourism industry.
    They are hired while not even in Iceland. Advertisements are posted online, e.g. on Facebook, they apply, they are hired from the spot (sometimes referred by others), or they send applications by mass email to all hotels in the country. They have their job and thus their kennitala BEFORE they even arrive, get housing with the job (cleaners and other hotel staff normally gets board and lodging, too) and normally leave when the main season (end of May to middle of September) is over.

    With the sudden growth of tourism many more jobs in this sector were created. So many that they couldn't be filled with Icelanders (there are so few). So Iceland needed to import workers.
    Lík börn leika best.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Gegenschlag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 03:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Swiss-German
    Subrace
    Pred. (Hallstatt) Nordic
    Gender
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    to every man a woman of his race
    Posts
    205
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    64
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin View Post
    They are mostly seasonal workers, who work as cleaners and in service (restaurants, hotels) in the tourism industry.
    They are hired while not even in Iceland. Advertisements are posted online, e.g. on Facebook, they apply, they are hired from the spot (sometimes referred by others), or they send applications by mass email to all hotels in the country. They have their job and thus their kennitala BEFORE they even arrive, get housing with the job (cleaners and other hotel staff normally gets board and lodging, too) and normally leave when the main season (end of May to middle of September) is over.

    With the sudden growth of tourism many more jobs in this sector were created. So many that they couldn't be filled with Icelanders (there are so few). So Iceland needed to import workers.
    Alright, but then you don't need an Icelandic address to get a job/kennitala. Which means that the advantage of other Nordics is not as big, as I pointed out before.

  5. #25
    Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Blutwölfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 11:03 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    4,117
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    125
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenschlag View Post
    Alright, but then you don't need an Icelandic address to get a job/kennitala. Which means that the advantage of other Nordics is not as big, as I pointed out before.
    They HAVE an Icelandic address because the employer provides housing. With hiring comes the address.

    So, if you're happy to work as a cleaner, everyone from EEA has the same chances.
    If you want a real job: The hospital/marking agency/bus company/whatever does most likely do not offer housing and requires you to speak Icelandic.

    But I give up this discussion and just tell you: yes, you are right. So we can stop arguing.
    Lík börn leika best.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Wednesday, February 20th, 2019, 04:05 PM
  2. Iceland Is Growing New Forests For The First Time In 1,000 Years…
    By Ahnenerbe in forum Natural Sciences & Environment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Friday, January 19th, 2018, 11:49 AM
  3. Hunt on for 20,000 Illegal Immigrants in GTA
    By Gardisten in forum Canada
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Thursday, July 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Tuesday, May 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
  5. Germany deports 50,000 immigrants a year
    By Loki in forum Immigration & Multiculturalism
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Wednesday, October 8th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •