No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin View Post
    Minks were imported for mink farming - and then escaped.
    Just a same everywhere (in Europe).
    First two photos are ''mink'' ... meaning here American mink (Mustela vison) and in last two photos we see European mink (Mustela lutreola) ... the latter one has already disappeared huge area of Europe. In Swedish first one is called simply ''mink''. 2. one flodiller.

We love Scandinavians. We can understand you but you can't understand us.
    All of us? How easily? Norwegians, Danes, Swedes?

We don't understand Finnish
    Don't worry, nobody understand Finnish (it is difficult language). I studied it at school (8 years/classes) ... and I'm far from good on it. Not to talking about different dialects they have.

We love Scandinavians .... all the Northerners have a similar mindset and fit very well.
    Yes, Scandinavians loves and respects you too and like you said ... the mindsets are pretty similar. Plus we understand your fragile nature/living conditions/environment ... probably better than anybody elses.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Engaged parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    263 Posts
    I've been to Iceland a few times myself, first time which was many years ago was truly idyllic, last time which was more recent was a totally different experience, it didn't feel the same and I gotten the impression some people were very rude and unhygienic (public toilets were especially disgusting, as well as some people's behavior in the thermal pools). The problem is not only that more tourists have been coming, but also that some are acting quite strange and disrespectful, camping in the strangest of places like even a parking lot..., throwing trash directly near their camps, not respecting hygiene rules (like not washing themselves before stepping into the thermal pools or even doing their business inside them, it's disgusting). But in the meantime it's been getting worse and worse, with waste, defecation and toilet paper, tampons, etc. in the open. People who think it's "safe" to leave it in nature because "it's biodegradable". They don't even bury their business if they do it in nature. Or sites which publish misconceptions, sometimes also car rental services. There's a habit for some tourists to sleep in their cars on the side of the road and that's where the business is done too.

In an article published in Kvennablaðið earlier in the week, Haraldur listed comments from travel website Passion Passport, that illustrated this misconception.

“The Law of Survival states that you can stop on any man’s land for a night and eat anything that grows on that land. That means that it’s completely acceptable – and legal – to sleep in your car, whether you’re on private property, in a national park, or at a designated rest stop.“

“By the end of our trip, I felt like I really communed with nature in the sense that (how do I put this delicately?) I peed in every corner of Iceland.”

“You can park the car nearly anywhere in the country and sleep in the back of it.”
    Tourist Defecation Problem Resurfaces

One tourist tried to burn the toilet paper in the wrong area and it resulted in a fire for which the police and fire department had to be called:
    https://grapevine.is/news/2015/07/17...tdoor-pooping/

In another case they defecated on the graves of Icelandic poets.
    https://grapevine.is/news/2015/07/15...famous-graves/

Yet another case where police made tourists pick up their toilet paper after they urinated behind a hotel. Even the police was shocked especially since the hotel was open:
    https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...rinating_outs/

Another tourist defecated outside a farm, right near their postbox:
    https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...oops_next_to_/

Tourist defecates in farmer's field despite toilet being 100 m away:
    https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...in_north_icel/

Even on the busiest roads in Iceland:
    https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...eflavik_airpo/

Some tourists even defecate near public toilets because they don't want to pay the toilet tax. So it was suggested making all toilets free and maybe adding an extra tax for tourists on arrival which could be used for building more restrooms and other facilities.

Yes it's shocking.... you think immigration can affect a country but in Iceland's case it's even tourism that matters in high numbers. Since Iceland is a smaller country, overtourism can easily cause destruction, especially if the tourists don't respect it. There are also those "Instagram tourists", mostly millennials who love to take pictures and selfies everywhere. And once the photos are on Instagram, others want to take similar ones and book with same destination. I've actually read somewhere that some Instagram influencers were asked to remove the geotags from their photos because it lead to too many tourists "invading" the areas. Also masses of tourists can have an impact on culture because it brings English speaking workers from other countries who mostly work with tourists so they don't consider it necessary to learn Icelandic. In the tourism sector there's also the habit for corporations and investors to buy property exclusively for tourists which can deplete the housing stock. I imagine in Iceland it must have a bigger impact since it's smaller.

Here's an interesting article about tourist to local ratio figures:
    https://grapevine.is/mag/articles/20...r-of-tourists/

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 03:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Swiss-German
    Subrace
    Pred. (Hallstatt) Nordic
    Single adult
    Politics
    to every man a woman of his race
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blod og Jord View Post
    Yes it's shocking.... you think immigration can affect a country but in Iceland's case it's even tourism that matters in high numbers. Since Iceland is a smaller country, overtourism can easily cause destruction, especially if the tourists don't respect it.
    It isn't just Iceland that has this problem, as you can imagine. I was in the Baltics not long ago, and there nationalists had put up a sticker "Lithuania for Lithuanians" next to the entry door of one of the hotels where I was staying. I couldn't help but notice the same thing: how the central parts of Kaunas and Vilnius are crawling with tourists from literally every corner of the world, which made immigration seem like a small problem in comparison.
    Small country + reputation for pretty girls= way too many tourists.

I do not give any validity to the bourgeois argument that tourism is better than immigration because it brings in money (instead of costing). Both of them decrease the life quality of the locals to an extent that far exceeds any possible economic benefit. I would treat tourism in the same way as immigration, stopping both of them completely, with the exception of neighboring countries.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 11:03 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    @Blod og Jord
    It's not just shitting everywhere: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a7822196.html
    Lík börn leika best.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    @Gegenschlag: I wouldn't go that far to ban all tourism except from neighbouring countries (we have none as an island, if you would take it seriously. And honestly, the US would be a "neighbouring country" and honestly that is one of the least likes group of tourists of mine with their loud attitude and their "I'm 1/8 Icelandic and thus I am one of your kind" crap.)

This takes from you all the chances to experience and learn.

What would be enough for me would be limiting the number of tourists to a sustainable amount (for Iceland maybe 1.5million per year) and then punish misbehaviour hardly, with high monetary fines for littering, wild camping, offroad driving, and so on. Severe misbehaviour should cause an immediate and lasting ban from the country (being transported to the next airport and flewn out).

Also, I don't think people come for "pretty girls". At least Iceland is due to its pricing not a destination for young people, but the clientele is rather 35+ and couples. Traveling for "hot girls" might be an US spring break / European Ballermann thing, but isn't applicable at all for Iceland.
    Lík börn leika best.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    https://www.mbl.is/frettir/innlent/2...ir_fyrri_spam/

Looks like it's going into the direction I wished for. The newest forecast estimates 6,68 million passengers at Keflavík airport, which is WAY LESS than expected and WAY LESS than 2017, 2018 and 2019, but fits the numbers of 2016 (even a bit less). It seems we will soon be able to breathe again here in Iceland!
    Lík börn leika best.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Family
    Married parent
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    And honestly, the US would be a "neighbouring country" and honestly that is one of the least likes group of tourists of mine with their loud attitude and their "I'm 1/8 Icelandic and thus I am one of your kind" crap.)
    Righto... cause we all know, of course, that all Americans are nothing but a bunch of loud, ignorant folk, without an own culture and identity.

I don't know what's more absurd... that statement itself, or the fact that it comes from a German. Germans are no more Icelandic than Americans with 1/8 Icelandic ancestry, yet you talk about "we" and "us" as if it were one and the same people.

Not to mention that the "Americans" who slaughtered the lamb were actually Afghan, and I'm pretty sure the majority of folk who do stuff like pooping in people's fields and mailboxes are also originally from 3rd world countries.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gefjon For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gefjon View Post
    Righto... cause we all know, of course, that all Americans are nothing but a bunch of loud, ignorant folk, without an own culture and identity.

I don't know what's more absurd... that statement itself, or the fact that it comes from a German. Germans are no more Icelandic than Americans with 1/8 Icelandic ancestry, yet you talk about "we" and "us" as if it were one and the same people.

Not to mention that the "Americans" who slaughtered the lamb were actually Afghan, and I'm pretty sure the majority of folk who do stuff like pooping in people's fields and mailboxes are also originally from 3rd world countries.
    Getting in very close contact with tourists due to my job, this is just my experience and opinion. As expressed in the sentence. You are very welcome to have a different opinion, but bashing my generalisation with your generalisation doesn't make much sense, though. Especially since you know nothing about me besides what I posted here.

Also: If you would have read closely you would have seen in my second post in this thread that I explicitly say that they are "Afghans with US residency".
    Lík börn leika best.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Scania Scania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,419 Posts
    Yes, we have almannarétt in Iceland but LUCKILY it was changed a bit due to increasing tourism. After people started to camp and shit everywhere, literally in the garden of people (we had camper vans in front of our bedroom window and in our horse fields), caught lambs to barbecue and pillaged gardens for food, there are some new rules to it:
    Be happy about that (you are ''privileged''). Here opposite outsiders (transported by international money) will come to pick up our berries from our forests ...

As that is allowed here (by ''everyman's right'') .... those people are not even in any kind of employment relationships with anybody. Surprise .... as they just end to sell all those berries to companies which have carried them to here. Juridically? From where those people have just bought their flying tickets, sleeping opportunities etc. ... as simply individual persons. Not any kind of workers etc. So they only will need to get into the country (for example for 2 weeks ''holiday'') and then the next/new ones, and again the next/new ones and so on.

There are reasons why local people (lived here thousands of years) still will pick up wild berries with pure hands/fingers or maximum with using these (made from plastics ... slowly down to up ... twigs same time supported by another/free hand).

Now look the tools they are using. Use of that kind of ''berry-rake'' (made from metal, having long rod, and lastly the ways how those people uses them) will damage/tear away weak twigs of our northern wild berries ... and there will be less and less berries in coming years. Of course they care nothing about that .... or those who ''hired'' them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    @Finnish Swede

I have never heard of that?! So they come to basically steal the berries from your country (because of the everyone's right they can take them for free) and sell them? Is there not something in the law (it is here in Iceland) that you are allowed to take but only to eat at the place, not to take away?

We had a "funny" incident here with that law, too. It's probably very similar to the Scandinavian one, saying that you can pick berries, mushrooms and herbs from private property, but you are not allowed to take it with you. So it's basically says "if you're starving, you can take that to eat, but do not harvest".
    A camper van rental company called "Kuku Campers" (Kuku means poop) posted on their website and told their customers that "you can take food from any private land and eat it, that's allowed by law, just don't take it with you." - which ended in tourists pillaging GARDENS, GREEN HOUSES and even caught lambs in a field to barbecue them.
    Lík börn leika best.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blutwölfin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast