@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts

Wannabe States of the United States

Why do we only have one state named after a president? That wasn't the original plan - there were several attempts at naming states after founding fathers that failed. Let's discuss those as well as a few other proposed breakups.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Scania Scania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,418 Posts
    If you travel one state to another (for example driving a car) ... are there real (visible) borders / border marks inside of USA? Do you need to show any personal papers (identity) / driving licence etc. or can you pass the borders without really even knowing that you just did it?

If the last one, what is the real benefit/meaning of these different states to exist today 2019? Other than historical aspects (= traditions, feelings, emotions)? Populations (ethnics) living in USA (anywhere) have changed a lot from those days. I assume one can fully freely move to live and work another states? Overall I'm just wondering how much smaller & lighter public systems/structures could be (cost wise => cheaper) ... if there would just be one state in USA.

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    If you travel one state to another (for example driving a car) ... are there real (visible) borders / border marks inside of USA? Do you need to show any personal papers (identity) / driving licence etc. or can you pass the borders without really even knowing that you just did it?

If the last one, what is the real benefit/meaning of these different states to exist today 2019? Other than historical aspects (= traditions, feelings, emotions)? Populations (ethnics) living in USA (anywhere) have changed a lot from those days. I assume one can fully freely move to live and work another states? Overall I'm just wondering how much smaller & lighter public systems/structures could be (cost wise => cheaper) ... if there would just be one state in USA.
    I reside in West Central Indiana near the border dividing the much more 'liberally' governed State of Illinois from my own more conservative State. Only highway signs encountered while driving indicate this division. There are no border police to deal with. But, for example, if I were to cross into Illinois with a loaded carry pistol on my person, I could be arrested for felony possession of a deadly weapon, which I can legally carry in Indiana. This is one of the most aggravating problems having individual States cause.

However, each of our states has its own State constitution, and governments to prevent a highly centralized Federal government from assuming too much power.

"The Tenth Amendment declares, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." In other words, states have all powers not granted to the federal government by the Constitution.

These powers have taken many different forms. States must take responsibility for areas such as:

• ownership of property
    • education of inhabitants
    • implementation of welfare and other benefits programs and distribution of aid
    • protecting people from local threats
    • maintaining a justice system
    • setting up local governments such as counties and municipalities
    • maintaining state highways and setting up the means of administrating local roads
    • regulation of industry
    • raising funds to support their activities

In many areas, states have a large role but also share administrative responsibility with local and federal governments. Highways, for example, are divided amongst the three different levels. Most states classify roads into primary, secondary, and local levels. This system determines whether the state, county, or local governments, respectively, must pay for and maintain roads. Many states have departments of transportation, which oversee and administer intrastate transportation. U.S. highways and the interstate system are administered by the national government through the U.S. Department of Transportation."

https://votesmart.org/education/states#.Xdq1kOhKgdU
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Scania Scania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post

However, each of our states has its own State constitution, and governments to prevent a highly centralized Federal government from assuming too much power.

[COLOR=#404040][FONT=Helvetica]"The Tenth Amendment declares, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." In other words, states have all powers not granted to the federal government by the Constitution.

In many areas, states have a large role but also share administrative responsibility with local and federal governments.
    Sounds complicated (= expensive?) system. Lots of officials/public servants.

BTW: If you would drive over speed in Illinois but succeed to get back into your own state ... before police patrol of Illinois could catch you ... you will be clear water, or? They can not arrest you anymore in West Central Indiana's side? And West Central Indiana polices can not charge you for over speed crimes which you might have done in Illinois? This old film came to my mind....

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago @ 03:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    456 Posts
    It is complicated and expensive but bear in mind most of our cities has more than your whole country's population.
    Certain states are best avoided such as New Jersey also known as "jew jersey".
    Also a war was started over many of these states rights and constitutions issues. It was a bloody affair and there are
    still sore feelings over it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Astragoth For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Scania Scania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astragoth View Post
    It is complicated and expensive but bear in mind most of our cities has more than your whole country's population.
    I don't like big cities (have been in few here in Europe). They are dirty, noisy, often has high criminality plus they give claustrophobia feeling.

Certain states are best avoided such as New Jersey also known as "jew jersey".
    I would like to learn more about different states. Objective information....

Also a war was started over many of these states rights and constitutions issues. It was a bloody affair and there are still sore feelings over it.
    Civil wars tends to be the most brutal ones (brother against brother).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    456 Posts
    I don't like big cities (have been in few here in Europe). They are dirty, noisy, often has high criminality plus they give claustrophobia feeling.

I would like to learn more about different states. Objective information....

Civil wars tends to be the most brutal ones (brother against brother).

I'm not that big on big cities myself. I live near Buffalo and I never go downtown if I can help it.
    What states are you looking to know more about? I've been down south. The people there are friendly
    but its too hot and humid for my taste. Pennsylvania is nice but some areas the cops are unpleasant and
    corrupt because of the drug corridor in the one area.

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts

BTW: If you would drive over speed in Illinois but succeed to get back into your own state ... before police patrol of Illinois could catch you ... you will be clear water, or? They can not arrest you anymore in West Central Indiana's side? And West Central Indiana polices can not charge you for over speed crimes which you might have done in Illinois? This old film came to my mind....
    It is never a good idea to antagonize LEOs by leading them into a high speed pursuit, which endangers the lives of everyone involved, as well as those who aren't. Attempting to evade LE is also a serious offense.

If pursuing LEOs observe the tag number of the fleeing suspect vehicle, they will notify the out-of-jurisdiction authorities of the pursuit in progress.

I clearly remember witnessing the violent end of one of these dangerous high speed pursuits by the T.H.P.D. that led out of their jurisdiction for several miles before the felony suspect's vehicle was caused to crash by a shotgun blast. The two city officers were none too polite when they took the two armed robbery suspects into custody.

While they are normally expected to respect jurisdictions, during an emergency situation a LEO still maintains their authority and power of arrest regardless of where they go within the USA.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Scania Scania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,418 Posts
    I'm not that big on big cities myself. I live near Buffalo and I never go downtown if I can help it.
    I know only Buffalo Sabres ... and even that just via name.

What states are you looking to know more about?
    That's very hard to say as I don't really know USA (but I always want to learn/know more ... if I don't know the subject ).
    Ok, of course I have studied history of USA (our schools are pretty good ... general knowledge), so I know main history (milestones) and now as a older age I have followed your elections (results) etc. But basically I don't know much of USA (internally). How the states differs from each others. For example is ''north'' vs. ''south'' still some kind of border line with some issues?
    What states would accept Scandinavian?

I've been down south. The people there are friendly
    but its too hot and humid for my taste.
    Southern accent?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    456 Posts
    How the states differs from each others. For example is ''north'' vs. ''south'' still some kind of border line with some issues?
    The differences are mostly cultural. States in the USA are almost countries in their own right by European standards
    What states would accept Scandinavian?
    Any of them really. But if your looking for the most culturally similar state Montana and north and South Dakota and Michigan were founded by similar people.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast