Thread: Male Archetypes (aka the Socio-Sexual Hierarchy)

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,117 Posts

Male Archetypes (aka the Socio-Sexual Hierarchy)

Astute and to the point.
    "If we were going to stand in darkness, best we stand in a darkness we had made ourselves.” ― Douglas Coupland, Shampoo Planet

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chlodovech For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Minutes Ago @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    642 Posts
    Enter the Sigma...

Everybody talks about Alpha and Beta males, but few discuss the enigmatic Sigma male. However, in many ways, the Sigma male is the most interesting of all male types because he is mysterious, an outsider, and is yet a successful plunderer of poon. He is the antithesis of Mr. Popularity, the Alpha male, and yet women are drawn to him.

Since embracing my natural instincts and tossing aside the Anglo-American cultural indoctrination that grooms men to be soft-spoken utility objects known as Beta males, I have realized I am a natural Sigma male. And as a man who has shifted way from my Beta past, a role foisted upon me by society until I saw the shadows on the wall and embraced my natural, Sigma bad boy instincts I feel it’s important to define what a Sigma male is.

The crucial difference between the two top dogs in the sexual hierarchy is this: Alphas embrace and move to manipulate and dominate society’s ridiculous games in an extroverted manner, while introverted (and often more intelligent) Sigmas are repulsed by them.

Here are some more Sigma traits.

Rebellious. Sigmas are the rebels of society, and as an INTP I am beginning to realize how deep my rebelliousness runs after shedding the coil of social indoctrination. Sigma males naturally loathe confining and arbitrary social norms and expectations, seeking instead to live original and authentic lives of their own design. In addition to a rebellious mindset, statistics show higher intelligence (which many Sigmas possess) is also correlated with more run-ins with the law. We Sigmas can find ourselves on the wrong side of the law since we have little regard for rules and regulations intended to rule the lives of “follower” men with an iron fist.

Original. Sigmas are never plain vanilla or predictable. Unlike the Alpha, they do not crave social acceptance or lofty social laurels. Many Sigmas prefer to blend into the background and watch the ridiculousness of society in a bemused manner. (The Great Master artist Bruegel the Elder comes to mind when discussing this attitude.)

Sigmas do not blindly follow groups or trends. They’re likely to have eccentric behavior and tangential interests in a number of academic fields. This leads to their greatest potential source of friction in a world of fearsome conformists: some people are put off by men with minds so original they cannot conform to the prejudices and constraints of the society they’re in, but originality is the very essence of the Sigma.

Drift in and out of social situations. This is both the Sigma’s greatest asset and worst weakness: the ability to drift in and out of high and low castes in society with ease. But we will never truly belong to any of them. I have personally walked with “kings” of society and peasants, and I see them as being more alike than not. When I worked in the mainstream media, I could be on television the first half of the day then at night partying with whores from the wrong side of town. Sigmas don’t get themselves caught up in the trappings of fleeting glory and petty social hierarchies. They define Rudyard Kipling’s statement in one of his most famous poems, If:

f you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Tendency to cause conflict. Nothing scares the average person more than someone who challenges the trite myths they believe in. Sigmas are the original thought criminals of society. The original thoughts of Sigmas upset many people, who need to be told what to think and how to behave rather than determining what are appropriate thoughts and actions for themselves. This will undoubtedly cause conflict if the Sigma’s true opinions seep out into the gossip mill of the average corporate “Office Space” inferno. The freethinking Sigma will be ostracized, and Alphas will move to have the Sigma marginalized so as to try and eliminate competition with lapdog Betas following suit.

Quirky behavior. Sigmas can have quirky personalities, which again puts them at odds with Alpha males and the masses. Sigmas have an air of unpredictability and can be quite enigmatic and mysterious to those who do not take the time to try and understand him. They won’t be men who live the life script given to them by the Great Marketing Machine, that tells them which car to buy, what house to live in, and how much money to make. They also won’t treat women with supplicating deference as Beta males do, which incidentally makes women hot.

Lone wolves. Since Sigmas do not “fit in” to most social groups, we often find ourselves journeying through life alone. Many Sigmas become bad boys when they realize how innately insane society is and that there is no saving it from itself. In film, the Sigma would be the motorcycle riding guy in a leather jacket in the back of the bar. The IDGAF factor is very high in the Sigma, especially once he reaches maturity and begins to purge the sewer pumped into his mind by decades of public school and mass media programming.

Subject to social scrutiny and criticism. Nothing bothers conformists more than someone who totally rejects the sophistry and social game playing they worship. This can make the Sigma a lightning rod for criticism. As Sigmas age, they can become more adept at being “chameleons” when in social situations. They can fake being a normal rube well enough that the prejudices of the average idiot are not aroused, while knowing deep inside they hold the cards. Sigmas can possess Red Pill knowledge while blending in with the average person. This gives the Sigma great strength in that it allows mastery of both social situations and himself.

Provoke love or hate attitudes in people. Some people love the rebel. Others are terrified by what he represents. There is usually little in the middle when it comes to the reactions the Sigma provokes. People either love or hate him. Alphas often hate Sigmas once they’re identified, perhaps because the Alpha knows the Sigma sees right through the ridiculous social game playing he is beholden to. Betas will often go into orbit around the Sigma, that is unless the Sigma’s original mind and IDGAF attitude become the subject of a social stigma. Then, fair weather friend type Betas will evaporate into the ether.

Knowing the Sigma archetype can help other men who find themselves between a rock and hard place trying to decide whether they’re Alpha or Beta or lower on the totem pole realize they’re neither. They can also realize it’s okay to be different.

It is my personal belief that those men who possess the INTP and INTJ Kiersey/Myers-Briggs personality types are often natural Sigma males, in that many of the traits associated with those personalities are Sigma traits.
    This does not mean every INTP or INTJ is a Sigma. However, it’s a safe bet to say many Sigmas are probably INTP or INTJ types.

In essence, the Sigma male is the model of adaptability in a cruel world. He adapts to get what he wants out of the world without participating in it, and stays true to himself and his beliefs unlike the courtiers of society. As Darwin knew, it is not the strongest of species that survive, but the most adaptable. Sigmas are case studies in adaptability, as they bang countless women while never betraying who they really are.
    https://relampagofurioso.com/2017/02...he-sigma-male/
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ţoreiđar For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Wednesday, November 6th, 2019 @ 12:29 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    German, Irish
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Very interesting read until the last part.

“as they bang countless women while never betraying who they really are.”

What purpose does this serve? Is this an issue of status? No? Are all of these women going to have his children? No? Then what? How is scratching an itch an action worthy of praise.

I fit the description of the Sigma male in most every way but the last part sounds like Beta fantasy to me.
    "Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect."

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Minutes Ago @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
    Very interesting read until the last part.

“as they bang countless women while never betraying who they really are.”

What purpose does this serve? Is this an issue of status? No? Are all of these women going to have his children? No? Then what? How is scratching an itch an action worthy of praise.
    Yeah, that was kind of a cheesy and unnecessary part of the article. The point is merely that the Sigma personality is generally considered attractive by a lot of women. From what I gather, Sigmas don't put much value in their social status, so acquiring notches on one's belt for the sole purpose of street cred makes little sense.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

Male Archetypes (aka the Socio-Sexual Hierarchy)

Let's talk about male archetypes and the socio-sexual hierarchy. I'm sure some of us have hard talks about alphas, betas, gammas and so forth. Here are a few of the most common and talked about:

Alpha: The alpha is the tall, good-looking guy who is the center of both male and female attention. The classic star of the football team who is dating the prettiest cheerleader. The successful business executive with the beautiful, stylish, blonde, size zero wife. All the women are attracted to him, while all the men want to be him, or at least be his friend. At a social gathering like a party, he's usually the loud, charismatic guy telling self-flattering stories to a group of attractive women who are listening with interest. However, alphas are only interested in women to the extent that they exist for the alpha's gratification, physical and psychological, they are actually more concerned with their overall group status.

Lifetime sexual partners = 4x average+.

Beta: Betas are the good-looking guys who aren't as uniformly attractive or socially dominant as the Alpha, but are nevertheless confident, attractive to women, and do well with them. At the party, they are the loud guy's friends who showed up with the alcohol and who are flirting with the tier one women and cheerfully pairing up with the tier two women. Betas tend to genuinely like women and view them in a somewhat optimistic manner, but they don't have a lot of illusions about them either. Betas tend to be happy, secure in themselves, and are up for anything their alpha wants to do. When they marry, it is not infrequently to a woman who was one of the alpha's former girlfriends.

Lifetime sexual partners = 2-3x average.

Delta: The normal guy. Deltas are the great majority of men. They can't attract the most attractive women, so they usually aim for the second-tier women with very limited success, and stubbornly resist paying attention to all of the third-tier women who are comfortably in their league. This is ironic, because deltas would almost always be happier with their closest female equivalents. When a delta does manage to land a second-tier woman, he is constantly afraid that she will lose interest in him and will, not infrequently, drive her into the very loss of interest he fears by his non-stop dancing of attendance upon her. In a social setting, the deltas are the men clustered together in groups, each of them making an occasional foray towards various small gaggles of women before beating a hasty retreat when direct eye contact and engaged responses are not forthcoming. Deltas tend to put the female sex on pedestals and have overly optimistic expectations of them; if a man rhapsodizes about his better half or is an inveterate White Knight, he is almost certainly a delta. Deltas like women, but find them mysterious, confusing, and are sometimes secretly a little afraid of them.

Lifetime sexual partners = 1-1.5x average

Gamma: The introspective, the unusual, the unattractive, and all too often the bitter. Gammas are often intelligent, usually unsuccessful with women, and not uncommonly all but invisible to them, the gamma alternates between placing women on pedestals and hating the entire sex. This mostly depends upon whether an attractive woman happened to notice his existence or not that day. Too introspective for their own good, gammas are the men who obsess over individual women for extended periods of time and supply the ranks of stalkers, psycho-jealous ex-boyfriends, and the authors of excruciatingly romantic rhyming doggerel. In the unlikely event they are at the party, they are probably in the corner muttering darkly about the behavior of everyone else there... sometimes to themselves. Gammas tend to have have a worship/hate relationship with women, the current direction of which is directly tied to their present situation. However, they are sexual rejects, not social rejects.

Lifetime voluntary sexual partners = .5x average

Omega: The truly unfortunate. Omegas are the social losers who were never in the game. Sometimes creepy, sometimes damaged, often clueless, and always undesirable. They're not at the party. It would never have crossed anyone's mind to invite them in the first place. Omegas are either totally indifferent to women or hate them with a borderline homicidal fury.

Lifetime sexual partners < 2

Sigma: The outsider who doesn't play the social game and manage to win at it anyhow. The sigma is hated by alphas because sigmas are the only men who don't accept or at least acknowledge, however grudgingly, their social dominance. (NB: Alphas absolutely hate to be laughed at and a sigma can often enrage an alpha by doing nothing more than smiling at him.) Everyone else is vaguely confused by them. In a social situation, the sigma is the man who stops in briefly to say hello to a few friends accompanied by a Tier 1 girl that no one has ever seen before. Sigmas like women, but tend to be contemptuous of them. They are usually considered to be strange. Gammas often like to think they are sigmas, failing to understand that sigmas are not social rejects, they are at the top of the social hierarchy despite their refusal to play by its rules.

Lifetime sexual partners = 4x average+.

Lambda: Those men who have quite literally no interest in conventional male-female sexual relations. They clearly have their own hierarchy of sorts, but I can't say that I know much about it other than it appears to somehow involve youth, free weights, and mustaches.

Lifetime sexual partners = 10x average+
    What do you think about this theory? Do you agree with it or it is just "manosphere" nonsense? Is there some archetype of man that is most successful socially? Women, which type would you find the most vs. the least attractive? Men, where would you place yourselves?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    A new discovery – the Zeta male

I was researching modern masculinity after what I wrote yesterday (I’ve been doing it all wrong), and I discovered something fascinating. It seems that I’m not alone. (Not that I thought I was!) I discovered I’m a Zeta male, and there’s more out there like me.

I used to think that there were only the alpha and beta males – that if you weren’t alpha, then you must be beta – but my research has discovered there’s actually much more to it than that.

Let’s go through the different kinds of men out there, so that we can understand exactly what I’m talking about.

The Alpha male

This is the ‘leader of the pack’, the ‘macho man’, the ‘real man’. While being a very small fraction of the population, you can usually spot them a mile away. They are arrogant, aloof, loud and obsessed about sex. They learnt early on that power and high social status lets them get the best women, so that’s what drives them to achieve.

Women love the alpha male. They love his independence, his strength, his mystique and his status. They want to be part of it. But he’ll only take the hottest women, because he can.

The Beta male

This is most men out there.

He’s the ‘yes man’, who dedicates his life to pleasing others, especially women. He thinks that in order to get what he wants, he has to get others to like him. His own needs come last. He prefers taking orders than giving them. He’s the ‘white knight’, the rescuer, the man who is ‘safe’ for women to run to and cry on his shoulder about the latest alpha ‘jerk’ that dumped them. He hopes that by being there for her that she will eventually choose him because of how wonderful and supportive he is, but he doesn’t understand why she always runs back to the alpha male when she’s finished crying. He’s always agreeable, always supportive, always hopeful that his kindness will be rewarded one day with her choosing to have sex with him.

Attractive and sexy women are always placing beta males into ‘the friend zone’. His desire to be liked makes him boring. ‘Sexy’ is not a word that comes to mind when a woman thinks about a beta male.

Beta males will only get to have sex with the women who know they can’t get the alpha males. They will eventually get married and have children and settle down. The life of an alpha is not for them.

The Omega male

This is the man who is generally the ‘loser’ of society. They’re the divorced and bitter and twisted, living alone and miserable, cursing their ex-wife and their life. They’re the obese 40 year old computer gamers who are living in their parents’ basement. They’re the low income earner or long term unemployed, doing what they can to scrape by. They’re the drunk or the stoned. Whatever circumstances their life is in, they’re just not in the race any more for the attention of women.

Omega males are usually ashamed of themselves, drunk, detached and angry, but they do nothing to change anything.

Zeta male

This man is new to our world. They’ve often been alpha, beta and omega through various stages of their life, and they’ve come out the other side, understanding all of them but deciding they are none of them.

They don’t conform to the ‘traditional’ image of the alpha male, but neither are they passive weaklings like betas or omegas. They can give orders and take orders. They can be assertive when they need to be, unafraid to speak out and fight for what they believe is right and just. They’re also not afraid to express their emotions. They have nothing to prove to anyone, especially their manhood, and they live by their own standards without caring what others think.

The zeta male is described as ‘rising from the rubble of the shattered remnants of traditional masculinity. Zeta masculinity is self taught and defiant towards traditional social structures.’

Both alphas and betas play their parts according to social expectations, being providers, chivalrous, etc. Betas love being chivalrous, seeing themselves as the ‘white knights’ saving damsels in distress. Alphas love being providers, the hunter, providing for their woman.

Zetas don’t care about social expectations, and actively reject them. They have no interest in playing the social games that others play, and they instead want to change social expectations and traditional roles and create new ones.

They have no interest in changing themselves for women. The zeta believes that if you don’t want to be with him for who he is, then he has no interest in being with you either. It’s about respect, and if you don’t respect who he is, and instead want to change him, then why should he be with you when you want him to be something different?

Zeta males also recognise that men themselves are guilty of trapping each other in the traditional roles. They need company and support for their choices and positions in life. Alphas will encourage men to be alpha and do what they can to have lots of sex. Betas will encourage men to settle down and get a good wife and family. Omegas… well, they want drinking buddies or gaming buddies.

Zeta males will reach out and help men to get out of the roles they’re in, to encourage them to choose roles for themselves based on what’s important to them, instead of what is important to others. Zeta males will not contribute to a system that they don’t agree with.

This has been what I’ve been talking about for years. I just never knew there was a new term to describe it.

The new movement

There’s a movement that’s growing, with different names but all wanting the same thing. Men’s Rights Activists, Men Going Their Own Way, Masculinists, and now Zeta males.

We recognise what many others don’t, or don’t want to acknowledge, that there’s a problem that’s growing in society. It’s a problem that is taking away men’s rights and treating them as an enemy. There’s a movement empowering women at the expense of men, but there’s nothing empowering men to embrace a modern masculinity.

Feminism is about equality for both men and women. Radical feminism is about destroying the male system completely, so that the females have all the authority and control.

It’s the effects of radical feminism that I’ll have to fight against, to help bring the status quo back to the middle, where equality for all is what we have, rather than what we wish we had.

The best way to do that is to help men break out of the system they’re stuck in. To help beta males become zeta. Alpha males won’t be interested. They’re too arrogant and sex obsessed to care. As long as they’re getting what they want, they don’t care about anyone else.

It’s the betas that I have to reach, and since they make up about 90% of the male population, I at least have a large audience.

My life as alpha, beta, omega and zeta

Everything in your past has succeeded in bringing you here today

I can recognise the various stages of my life when I have been alpha, beta and omega, and in light of this blog’s theme of everything in my past bringing me to this moment, I wanted to talk about it.

I started out as Omega, being unemployed for many years and struggling to understand my place in this world. I had trouble dating and just didn’t ‘get it’.

Then I started to ‘get it’, and became a bit more successful with dating and relationships, but this led me into a Beta life, where I tried to be a ‘nice guy’ to all the women I met and interacted with. I thought this would help me develop better relationships, and get closer to women that I wanted to be with. I thought that by being the nice guy that they’d like me more.

But I still didn’t really ‘get it’. It was easier for me to date and even develop relationships, but I wasn’t being authentic. I wasn’t living my life.

It was around this time that I started exploring other options with my life. I started learning about players and pickup artists. I started learning what it means to be ‘alpha’. I started practicing. I started not caring and taking on an arrogant, aloof attitude towards women. As a result, I ‘became’ alpha.

I went through a few years where I dated and even had relationships with some very hot women, and I came to understand a few alpha basics of male-female interactions that threw out all my beta misunderstandings.

In the process of ‘becoming alpha’, I gained a confidence in myself. I started to discover more of who I was and what I really wanted in life.

I discovered I didn’t want to be alpha. I didn’t want to be a player. I didn’t want multiple women all at the same time. It just wasn’t working for me. It still wasn’t my authentic self at play.

So instead of continuing to embrace it, I gave it up. I just got on with my life instead. I spent some time writing on my old blogs about how to improve life and dating and relationships, while continuing to explore my own.

I also provided mentoring to other men on how to improve their dating and their relationships. I even mentored a mentor of mine. He helped me as a life coach, and I helped him as a dating/relationship coach.

It was amazing to me that this man I looked up to, who has been of service to me for 20 years of my life, was coming to me for relationship advice.

It was because I ‘got it’.

I was living authentically, doing what was important to me, and understanding alpha, beta and omega, and using elements from each in my own life. I was all of them while being none of them.

I was applying these understandings to my career and to my personal life, and getting successes with it, in ways that I never did before. I’m a combination of alpha and beta at work, working in a way that is comfortable for me, without being someone’s ‘lackey’ or ‘yes man’. I learnt how to say no, without it being a problem for anyone.

I understand what is important to me, and I understand what I need and want in life, and in my relationships. I understand that I cannot compromise on my values, and I need to find someone to fit in with them, rather than change them for other people.

I’ve found that in Fanfan. She is someone who meets all my needs and desires, and I love her dearly. She doesn’t try to change me, and she accepts me for who I am.

Like every relationship, there are challenges and moments of difficulty, but I draw upon my past experiences and understandings to deal with them in a way that works for both of us.

I want to help other men ‘get it’ too. It’s a burning desire, a passion in me. I’ve been writing about it for years. I’ll continue writing too. It’s through writing that I can reach these beta men out there, and help them realise they can have something better than what they’ve ‘settled’ for.

“I’m as mad as hell and I’m not going to take it any more!”

Most men, being beta, and being ‘yes men’, have ended up inadvertently empowering the system take away more and more of their rights to simply be men. By being afraid to say no, by needing to please women all the time, men have given in to their unreasonable demands and stupidity, and as a result we have social and legal systems that border on insanity, discouraging masculinity and encouraging boys to be girls. Legal systems are introduced by beta male lawmakers who have wives that make life difficult for them if they don’t support stupid policies that make life more difficult for men.

The system is broken. It needs fixing. If you’re not trying to help fix it, then you’re part of the problem.
    http://www.alansjourney.com/a-new-di...the-zeta-male/

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Omega Males and the Women Who Hate Them

They’re unemployed, romantically challenged, and they’re everywhere.

In the Noah Baumbach movie Greenberg, out in limited release this Friday, the eponymous main character is having trouble being a man. The 41-year-old Greenberg, played by Ben Stiller, tells his 25-year-old love interest that when he was a kid he dreamed of being an astronaut. Now he can’t even drive, much less pilot a shuttle. He sabotaged his career as a musician, so he’s trying the old-fashioned, manly pursuit of carpentry. He pretends not to care about his new line of work—he tells his friends he’s doing “nothing for a while”—yet Greenberg is seriously wounded when an ex-girlfriend tells him she doesn’t remember the bed he built for her. All she recalls are his anxiety attacks.

Greenberg is pretty much the fictional representation of the masculinity crisis that Susan Faludi outlined in her 1999 book Stiffed: The Betrayal of the American Man. Men like Greenberg, Faludi argued, were led to believe as boys that they were “going to be the master of the universe and all that was in it,” that they’d be astronauts conquering the final space frontier or, at the very least, that they would master a lifelong stable job and a healthy family. But by the ‘90s, Greenberg types found themselves “masters of nothing.” The latest recession is only making it more so, as job security becomes a fantasy for many, and marriage rates plummet.

And yet men are still tragically unable to retool. The image of the American woman has gone through several upheavals since the 1950s, but the masculine ideal seems fixed in cultural aspic: Think slick ad executive Don Draper in Mad Men and the WWII heroes in the Tom Hanks-produced HBO series The Pacific. So his confused, paralyzed counterpart is cropping up in ever-more variations on TV and in movies: the omega male.

In the social hierarchy of a wolf pack in captivity, the omega ranks below the alpha and beta wolves. In human terms, if an executive or a warrior is an alpha male and a nice-guy middle manager like The Office’s Jim Halpert is a beta male, then Greenberg and his brethren are omega males. While the alpha male wants to dominate and the beta male just wants to get by, the omega male has either opted out or, if he used to try, given up. Greenberg says of his somewhat stunted best friend, “We call each other ‘man,’ but it’s a joke. It’s like imitating other people.” The omega male is not experiencing the tired trope of the midlife crisis. A midlife crisis implies agency, a man who has the job and the family and chooses to reject it. The omega male doesn’t have the power to reject anything—he’s the one who has been brushed off. He’s generally unemployed, and his romantic relationships are in shambles—he’s either single or, if he’s married, not happy about it. “I’m doing nothing and I’m tied to no one,” Greenberg boasts.

As a seemingly educated guy who travels in culturally elite circles, Greenberg is just one variety of omega male. Here’s a taxonomy of the different types you might find skulking across the small and large screens.

The Liberal Arts Layabout: Since he’s hanging out with successful artist types, Greenberg falls into this category, along with other Noah Baumbach characters (Jack Black in Margot at the Wedding, Chris Eigeman in Kicking and Screaming) and every role that Jason Schwartzman has ever played. They are usually failed artists of some sort, often surrounded by more successful friends and relatives. The bitter ones—Greenberg, Chris Eigeman—hide their inability to live up to the demands of the world with cynicism verging on cruelty. For example, after yelling, unprovoked, at his young lover Florence, Greenberg tells her that it’s partially her fault and that she should “take some responsibility for trying to see me.” The sweeter ones—Jason Schwartzman in Bored to Death—retreat to an elaborate fantasy world. In Bored to Death, Schwartzman plays Jonathan Ames, a writer whose career has stalled. He decides to become an amateur private eye after reading too many pulp novels and is mostly incompetent at his new fake job.

The Mimbo: Unlike the liberal arts layabout, the mimbo revels in not participating in mainstream masculine culture. This character is very good-looking (hence the contraction—male bimbo) but doesn’t necessarily use his looks for personal gain. Mimbos of TV and film include Cougar Town’s Brian Van Holt, who plays the lead character’s hapless, underemployed golf-pro ex-husband, and Dax Shepard’s vain “male model” in When in Rome. Though Shepard’s character is obsessed with his own “shredded” physique, he can’t make it translate into gainful employment or public adulation: The photos in his modeling book were all done on spec, and when he takes his shirt off in a cafe, everyone hectors him to put it back on. Despite his lack of steady employment or fulfilling relationships, Van Holt’s Cougar Town character, Bobby Cobb, is so secure in his alternative masculinity that in a recent episode he was not even embarrassed when he was beaten up and robbed by a woman.

Beer Guy: As Kerry Howley pointed out in an XX Factor post from earlier this year, beer guy appeared in many of the sexist ads that ran during the Super Bowl. There are two variations on this type: original beer guy and sad beer guy. Original beer guy is a mimbo gone to seed. He’s a happy couch potato, crashing a book club with his buddies from the softball league just to score some Bud Light. He is unbothered by his inability to live up to the masculine ideal—unlike sad beer guy, who is hyperaware of the fact that he is falling short. The middle-aged dudes on Men of a Certain Age—an unemployed actor, a man whose marriage fell apart because of his gambling addiction, and an unhappy car salesman—are sad beer guys. So are the miserable-looking men in the infamous Dodge Charger Super Bowl ad who appeared to be crushed by the responsibilities of their days, which didn’t just include working long hours but also dealing with the demands of their wives. As a New Jersey Star-Ledger review of Men of a Certain Age says of Ray Romano’s character in that show, “Joe is a man who misses his wife, cares about his kids, depends on his friends but also feels like he should be doing better with all of them, if he could only figure out how.”

The Game Boy: The Apatovian stoners and the passive lads of Grandma’s Boy (whom Reihan Salam termed beta males in this Slate article from 2006) are exemplary game boys. These men live in a perpetually adolescent zone, ignoring adult responsibilities unless they are forced to consider them. If they’re employed, it’s playing video games (Grandma’s Boy) or creating a redundant Web site listing movie nude scenes (as in the Apatow flick Knocked Up). The newest entry in the game-boy posse is the star of She’s Out of My League, Apatow crony Jay Baruchel. In that movie, Baruchel plays a nebbishy TSA airport screener who somehow nabs a blond, hot event-planner with a law degree. Though Baruchel may get the girl at the end of the film, as EW reviewer Owen Gleiberman writes, “He’s a socially inept underachiever who works in airport security, and she’s a high-end event planner who oozes poise and would never be drawn to such a gawky, shambling loser.” Sounds like the writers are stuck in the same game-boy male dream-world that their characters inhabit.
    https://slate.com/human-interest/201...greenberg.html