Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Carbon Dioxide Is So Bad For The Planet, Why Do Greenhouse Growers Buy CO2 Generators To Double Plant Growth?

Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    I was in Stockholm last weekend and on the plane home, two Swedes sat behind me talking about how much they admired Greta and how great she was. I found it a bit ironic.

The lion's gate
    Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 03:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,365 Posts
    EU plans to spend more on private jets for top officials

Move comes despite pledges to do more to cut emissions.

Source: Politico

The European Union is planning to spend millions of euros more on private jet flights for its top officials — just as it is proclaiming its green credentials and pledging to step up the fight against climate change.

The bloc has raised the amount that can be spent under a five-year contract for “air taxi” flights by more than €3.5 million, according to a document published this month in the EU's tenders database.

The new maximum amount of €10.71 million for the contract, which runs from 2016 to 2021, represents a 50 percent increase on the original value of €7.14 million.

The EU has been placing increasing emphasis on green policies in recent months. Ahead of Monday's U.N. climate summit in New York, Miguel Arias Cańete, the European commissioner for climate action and energy, declared: “The EU has a strong story to tell — we are global climate leaders.”

European Commission President-elect Ursula von der Leyen has promised to set a 2050 climate neutrality goal for the EU and to raise the bloc's 2030 emissions reduction target to at least 50 percent from 1990 levels.

The plans to spend more on private jets also stand in sharp contrast to remarks by Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, who has highlighted his use of commercial flights. “When I was talking to Donald Trump, I was constantly looking at my watch so that I wouldn’t miss my flight home,” Juncker told German newspaper Bild am Sonntag earlier this year. "Trump kept saying, ‘Your ‘plane can wait!’ He didn’t realise that I didn’t have my own aeroplane."

In response to questions from POLITICO, a spokesperson for the Commission said that Juncker had taken 25 flights on private planes in 2018, the same number as in 2017. In 2016, he took 18 private flights, compared with 21 in 2015.

Juncker has come under criticism in the past for taking "air taxis" to short-haul destinations like Strasbourg.

The Commission said that private jets are only rented when there are no other options, and noted that the president's travel expenses are published on a regular basis.

“The president always takes chartered flights in line with the existing rules for that,” the spokesperson said. “More concretely, chartered air transport can only be considered when commercial flights are not available to reach a destination, when they cannot fit with the diary commitments of the president or the members of the College [of Commissioners] or for security reasons.”

The spokesperson added that “when the president takes a chartered flight, he is accompanied by a delegation so the cost of the flight has to be divided by the total number of people traveling with him — an average of nine.”

European Council President Donald Tusk follows similar guidelines on the use of private aircraft, the Council’s press office said. It said that if no commercial flight was suitable, the Council president could use private aircraft or a plane provided by the Belgian air force.

Tusk took 23 "air taxi" flights in 2018 (five of them provided by the Belgian air force), the Council said. That compared with 29 such flights in 2017, a total of 20 in 2016, and 26 in 2015.

The European Parliament did not respond to a request for comment.

The EU's original contract stated it was for the "provision of air-taxi transport services (chartered jet aeroplanes) for use by the President or other members of the European Commission, for the European Parliament Presidency, for the President of the European Council, for the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, and any accompanying persons, mostly in the European Union."

The initial contract was awarded for an estimated 871 flight hours, with planned frequent destinations including Strasbourg, Berlin and Stuttgart. The top officials, according to the contract notice, were expected to primarily use jets carrying 7-9 passengers.

But the officials appear to have been using private jets more than expected: Earlier this month, the new notice was published stating that an “analysis of expenditure during the period already elapsed has led to the conclusion that this threshold will not be suffice [sic] to cover the needs of the European institutions until the expiry date of the contract i.e. 30.4.2021” and that as a result in March “the Commission launched a negotiated procedure to increase the overall maximum threshold of the contract.”

The Commission spokesperson said: “This does not mean that the total amount under the contract will be spent. The amended contract just provides a guarantee that the threshold will be sufficient to cover the needs of the EU institutions for the remaining period of the contract.”

The three winning contractors — Masterjet, Unijet and Abelag — all belong to the Luxembourg-based Luxaviation Group. In 2015, China Minsheng Investment bought a 33 percent stake in the Luxembourgish company.
    “When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in.“ – Robert Howard

Whamen Respekter
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 07:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    For humans [CO2 is] however rather unhealthy.
    If it reaches extremely elevated levels, like 4%, it can cause some uncomfortable symptoms. The air we exhale normally contain 3% of CO2, and people who are free-diving build up a lot more than that in their lungs, without getting sick. With the current atmospheric CO2 level of 0.044%, we are still miles away from dangerous levels, and it would probably be impossible to reach it here on Earth.

Indeed, the atmosphere at the times of the dinos was very different, and while dinos, reptiles(!) could make use of this different atmosphere, mammals (and they only appear at the end of the dino age on the scene anyway) were tiny, because the low oxygen level could not support mammal metabolism that had allowed them to grow bigger.
    Oxygen levels are thought to have been higher, not lower, during the Cretaceous period (145 to 66 million years ago).

Recently, USGS scientists have used a gas QMS to determine the oxygen level of ancient samples of Earth's atmosphere from a most unlikely place - amber. The fossilized resin of conifer trees, amber is interesting to scientists as a medium that traps insects, small animals, and plants, preserving them through geologic time for future study. [...] Minute bubbles of ancient air trapped by successive flows of tree resin during the life of the tree are preserved in the amber. [...] Analyses of the gases in these bubbles show that the Earth's atmosphere, 67 million years ago, contained nearly 35 percent oxygen compared to present levels of 21 percent. Results are based upon more than 300 analyses by USGS scientists of Cretaceous, Tertiary, and recent-age amber from 16 world sites. The oldest amber in this study is about 130 million years old.

https://geology.com/usgs/amber/

In addition the atmosphere was thinner/less dense and generated less pressure, and the temperatures were much higher. The flora was very different from what we know today. We could not live under the conditions under which the dinos lived, we would choke to death due to oxygen deficiency, be poisoned by higher amounts of nitrogen, aerosoles, sulfur etc, and the lower density/pressure would cause all sorts of side effects to which we are not adapted. So messing around with the composition of the atmosphere might not be the best of all ideas.
    I don't know where you get your information from, but seeing as the oxygen levels were higher in the Cretaceous period (between 26 and 35%), nitrogen could impossibly constituted a higher level than today (currently around 78%). And if nitrogen is so poisonous, why is 78% obviously perfectly healthy to breathe? When does it start becoming poisonous? At 80%? 90%?

As for atmospheric pressure at the time, it seems there aren't any current scientific methods able to tell for sure. But some calculations estimate that it was higher than today. https://gdesilvestri.wordpress.com/2...small-tribute/

While there are smart people trying to make use of the increased algae growth (due to warmer water and higher nutrition brought into the seas), the truth is that algae growth causes dead water zones, of which north and east sea already have a lot as well. Dead water contains no more oxygen, no fish, no corals, no micro organisms, no oxygen producing bacteria, no nothing anymore and these zones grow with each algae blossom event due to increased "nutrition" (CO² and fertilizers being washed into the oceans). Of course it's all "good" for the algae, but it's very bad for every other life around.
    I don't know if it's scientifically proven that higher atmospheric CO2 levels cause increased algae growth. It seems to have more to do with pH. Many people with fish tanks, for example, utilize CO2 injections to combat overgrowth of algae.

CO² is the most effective green house gas due to its absorbtion and reflection properties of light waves = tempartures and climate. While it's main responsible for an inhabitable, cosy planet with medium temperatures (without green house gases, to which also methane, sulfur dioxide, ozon belong (and methane is even more climate potent), temps would be a 'global annual average' of -18° and not the cosy +15° we have), we better be careful of what we invoke.
    CO2 may contribute to global temperatures, but I don't find it being the primary cause for temperature changes to be very convincing.

And I certainly don't trust the "consensus-based scientific community" to accurately predict future temperature changes based on CO2. They been proven grossly wrong, time and time again, for the last 50 years.

Melting ice poles, rising sea levels, record summers with 40° and more, draughts, dying forests, shifting seasons, increased pest populations, tropic insects making Europe their home, Sweden becomesa wine producer country, melting perma frost (which even endangers the Alps, that is the mountains itself, without permafrost they erode), dying glaciers which are our fresh water resource... [...] But yeah, it's all normal, nothing to see here...
    The climate behaving abnormally has been completely normal, in a wide historical scope.

Annual average temperature by countries/region from 1900-2016 in 35 seconds
    A little over one degree celsius increased over 116 years. I think we'll be fine.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12