Quote Originally Posted by Chlodovech View Post
Our boy Braut was praised for his smart move to Borussia Dortmund, but in the meantime word got out both his money hungry agent and dad earned a commission of 25 million euro due to this transfer. And Club Bruges disclosed that this is the reason why they didn't buy Haaland a few years back: because his dad and agent insisted on Club bruges paying a hefty commission too, which Club Bruges declined.

Why should his dad be paid though? For all the hard work he did when conceiving his son 20 years ago?
It's the same deal with Martin Ųdegaard's father. As a part of the contract with Real Madrid, Ųdegaard senior got a high-paying job as an assistant coach for Real's 11-year old boys' team. Now, he does have experience as assistant coach from Norwegian top-level football, as well as playing professional football himself, but it is quite obvious that he only got that job in order for him to get a piece of the pie himself. It was quite well paid too. About 2.8 million euros as a one-time payment, and a further 100.000 euros yearly salary for three years. Probably the most expensive assistant football coach for children in history.

I can understand that easy money is a weak spot for a lot of people, but it should be obvious to Ųdegaard's father that his son was going to be a top-level football player no matter which big club he signed with. And by all probability, be raking in tens of millions of euros every year (at the very least) in the near future. Martin Ųdegaard would undoubtably let some of that trickle down to his father. So why let a bit of easy money cloud the judgement of himself and his son, when it's going to be completely irrelevant in a few years time anyway?

As for Haaland's father (Alf Inge), I've gotten the impression that he's been functioning as a sort of "second agent" for Erling. And probably a medium between Erling and his agent, Mino Raiola. So maybe he feels he is due some of the profit for that.

I've read that the Premier League has quite strict rules when it comes to giving money to parents of young players as a part of transfer contracts. La Liga doesn't, which is why Ųdegaard's father got his lucrative deal. Dunno about Bundesliga.