National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Idis View Post
    Person A's ancestry is unknown (they don't know their biological parents) but they have a Europid appearance. Their adoptive parents are Germanic and this is how this person is raised and identifies. Would you consider this person Germanic?
    For such cases, I think DNA tests should be made available. If the DNA of the person turns out to be Germanic, then I'd consider him Germanic. Otherwise, no. If you can't prove you're Germanic, then you're not Germanic.

Person B is in the same situation as A (adopted by Germanic parents, raised as Germanic) but they can trace their biological ancestry and it is not Germanic. However, it is still European (for example Russian). Would you consider this person Germanic, or would you consider them Slavic?
    I don't consider him Germanic. Whether he's Slavic? I don't know, and don't care. It's up for the Slavs if they want to accept him as one of theirs.

Person B is not Germanic by ancestry, they are born to Italian parents who immigrated to Denmark. But this person is born in Denmark, speaks Danish as a native language and is raised according to Danish customs. What would you consider this person, Danish or Italian?
    Same answer. A pig born in a stable isn't a horse. So no, I don't consider him Danish. Whether he's accepted as Italian is up to the Italians.

Person C is born in Serbia, to Serbian parents. They speak Serbian as a native language, however their parents immigrate to Austria when C is just a child. In Austria, when C begins to go to school they speak German and quickly adopt Austrian culture. Overtime, they only speak Serbian with their parents, sporadically, and forget most of it. Would this person be in your mind Austrian, or Serbian?
    Of course he's not Austrian. Probably Serbian. Whether the Serbs accept him is another question.

Person D is Greek born and raised, and immigrates to the Netherlands as an adult. After a while, they learn to speak Dutch fluently and adopt Dutch culture, they apply for Dutch citizenship and lose their Greek citizenship, however they can still remember how to speak Greek, as well as all the aspects of Greek culture. What would you count this person as, Greek or Dutch?
    Greek, obviously. Citizenship is just a piece of paper.

Of course, these are only a few examples, you can substitute the ethnicities and countries for any other Germanic/European ones. Or do you believe that ethnicity makes a big difference? For example, if person B was not Italian, but Finnish, or Estonian, or person D was not Greek but French, etc.? Are certain ethnicities more assimilable than others and if so, which? Conversely, which are the ethnicities which are hardest to assimilate?
    Non-Germanic = non-Germanic, regardless if it's Italian or Estonian. Both are foreign, both culturally and ethnically.

My second question would be, do you believe that someone could lose their Germanic status, and if so, in which cases? For example, becoming naturalized in another country, or by engaging in certain acts?
    Yes, ethnically mixed people. For example a 1/2 German, 1/2 Italian person who is born and raised in Italy, as an Italian. But I agree with what Selene said, so you can't really lose something you never had. You're either Germanic, or you're not. There's nothing that complicated about it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bärin For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Friday, April 17th, 2020 @ 05:18 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I only consider someone Germanic if they are 3/4ths ethnically Germanic and completely European. That's it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jonaby For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12