Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,072 Posts

Red Meat Halves Risk of Depression

Women who reduce lamb and beef in their diets are more likely to suffer depression, according to the new study.

The Australian government recommends eating 65 -100g of lean, red meat three to four times a week

Source: Telegraph

Experts admitted surprise at the findings because so many other studies have linked red meat to physical health risks.

The team made the link after a study of 1000 Australian women.

Professor Felice Jacka, who led the research by Deakin University, Victoria, said: "We had originally thought that red meat might not be good for mental health but it turns out that it actually may be quite important.

"When we looked at women consuming less than the recommended amount of red meat in our study, we found that they were twice as likely to have a diagnosed depressive or anxiety disorder as those consuming the recommended amount.

"Even when we took into account the overall healthiness of the women's diets, as well as other factors such as their socioeconomic status, physical activity levels, smoking, weight and age, the relationship between low red meat intake and mental health remained.

"Interestingly, there was no relationship between other forms of protein, such as chicken, pork, fish or plant-based proteins, and mental health. Vegetarianism was not the explanation either. Only nineteen women in the study were vegetarians, and the results were the same when they were excluded from the study analyses."

Professor Jacka, an expert in psychiatric health, believed the diet of the sheep and cattle was relevant.

"We know that red meat in Australia is a healthy product as it contains high levels of nutrients, including the Omega-3 fatty acids that are important to mental and physical health," she said.

"This is because cattle and sheep in Australia are largely grass fed. In many other countries, the cattle are kept in feedlots and fed grains, rather than grass. This results in a much less healthy meat with more saturated fat and fewer healthy fats."

But eating too much red meat could be as bad for mental health as not eating enough.The Australian government recommends eating 65 -100g of lean, red meat three to four times a week.

"We found that regularly eating more than the recommended amount of red meat was also related to increased depression and anxiety," Professor Jacka added. "We already know that the overall quality of your diet is important to mental health. But it seems that eating a moderate amount of lean red meat, which is roughly three to four small, palm-sized serves a week, may also be important."

The results of the study are published in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.The Department of Health recommends consuming no more than 70g of red meat a day - the equivalent of a Big Mac burger.
    “Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no-one is too poor to buy.” - C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chlodovech For This Useful Post:

Munchkin
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts
    I'm sorry. But I don't agree with the findings of that study.

I believe that depression is mainly caused by negative social conditions that overwhelm individuals, not anything physical such as a particular kind of dietary substance.

When someone loses a romantic relationship, a job, or even a beloved pet, or continues suffering one problem after another, it wears them down emotionally, and psychologically. This, more often than not, results in a horrible state of depression that can, and sadly does lead to suicide.
    Not all in life is at it appears to be.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    18 Minutes Ago @ 09:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LillyCaterina View Post

I believe that depression is mainly caused by negative social conditions that overwhelm individuals, not anything physical such as a particular kind of dietary substance.

When someone loses a romantic relationship, a job, or even a beloved pet, or continues suffering one problem after another, it wears them down emotionally, and psychologically. This, more often than not, results in a horrible state of depression that can, and sadly does lead to suicide.
    Sure, depressions are often triggered by small and large personal tragedies, but the body still needs specific nutrients to produce the neurochemicals that makes us experience joy, pleasure, motivation and meaning. Dopamine and Serotonin probably being the most vital in this regard. Without that, any person would be bound for crippling depression, no matter how their personal life looked like.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    18 Minutes Ago @ 09:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    "We found that regularly eating more than the recommended amount of red meat was also related to increased depression and anxiety," Professor Jacka added. "We already know that the overall quality of your diet is important to mental health. But it seems that eating a moderate amount of lean red meat, which is roughly three to four small, palm-sized serves a week, may also be important."
    I wonder why that is. I would imagine it has something to do with the type of meat usually associated with high meat intake, namely poor quality sausages and hamburgers, and the kind of food you get at a MacDonalds. Including all the hazardous accessory food that usually comes along with it.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 07:30 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    This is called "Broken Heart Syndrome", which can indeed result in physically induced depression and other physical problems.

Real depressions however are in themselves a physical defect that shows from early age, long before children ever experience troubled relations and even if they grow up in good conditions. As Žoreišar pointed out, it's a serotonin defiency, where serotonin is responsible for sleep and relaxation, and dopamin defiency, which is responsible for emotions and motivation. Real, physical depression cause the individual to live in a bubble of perception, seperate from the rest of the world, because they lack two highly important mechanisms to deal and process their environment, and deep, relaxed sleep is highly important for a balanced personality and psyche, which they however never have, which often results in the development of "manic depression" due to increased stress hormones.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

9. The Following User Says Thank You to velvet For This Useful Post:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Daci, Suebi, Carpi
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heidin
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    I have better alternatives, instead of eating dead animals.

One of them: making love with your loved one! (LOVE, not sex! Read here why: True Love vs Ephemeral Sexual Passion)

Another alternative, which doesn't involve another person: eating hemp seeds or hemp seed oil!

I opened a thread about the benefits of hemp seeds, The Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds, this use is not mentioned there, but I assure you I read many other articles about hemp and it also has anti-depressive properties! I tested it on myself... It feels so good after eating hemp seeds for a couple of days in a row... Then you're happy all the time!

I should prepare myself with some hemp for the following long winter nights in the North...

Aaaaaand... if you don't want to make love or eat hemp seeds... here is a loooong list of foods you can eat to be happier: Aliments and Medicinal Plants Which Favours the Enjoyment of Happiness

Good luck! And good luck to me too!
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago @ 06:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

I can tell you from experience that you can get depression from lack of certain vitamins. I work the night shift and I go through it every winter.