Thread: Who Doesnt Want to Hear the Other Sides View?

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 03:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Vlkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,072 Posts

Who Doesnt Want to Hear the Other Sides View?

Source: Medium

People with left-wing/liberal views are more likely to block or unfriend their ideological counterparts than those with right-wing/conservative views.

The day after the 2015 UK General Election, Rebecca Roachewho is now a Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at Royal Hollowaywrote a blog post entitled, If youre a Conservative, Im not your friend. She began her blog post with the following statement:

One of the first things I did after seeing the depressing election news this morning was check to see which of my Facebook friends like the pages of the Conservatives or David Cameron, and unfriend them. (Thankfully, none of my friends like the UKIP page.)

Was Dr Roaches decision an isolated incident, or was it part of a more general tendency for people with left-wing/liberal views to block or unfriend their ideological counterparts? In an attempt to answer this question, I tracked down as many relevant surveys and polls as I could. The results are presented below.

In 2012, Pew Research found that liberals were more likely than conservatives to have blocked, unfriended

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1243/1*fIc932HpRgy52cbttpl7OQ.png[/IMG]

In 2014, YouGov found that Labour and Liberal Democrat supporters were much more likely to say they would find it harder to be friends with someone who became a UKIP supporter than vice versa.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1333/1*ROAzik-so2o_tifx03Ovjg.png[/IMG]

In 2014, Pew Research replicated their 2012 result, finding that consistent liberals were more likely than conservatives to have blocked, unfriended or hidden someone they disagreed with on Facebook.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/637/1*Rq_zOoMadk5UFJr7xlcQvg.png[/IMG]

In 2015, StatsSocial found that right-wing twitter users were more likely to follow left-wing pundits than vice versa. On average, 34% of users following the top 50 left-wing pundits were right-wing, whereas only 26% of users following the top 50 right-wing pundits were left-wing.

In 2016, the Public Religion Research Institute found that Democrats were more likely than Republicans to have blocked, unfriended or stopped following someone they disagreed with on social networking sites.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1208/1*Bm4s4-hHsxXua0mLYxm6Fg.png[/IMG]

In 2016, Demos found that Conservative supporters were slightly more likely to have retweeted Labour or SNP supporters than vice versa. However, they also found that UKIP supporters were no more likely to have retweeted Labour or SNP supporters than vice versa.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/907/1*u4tmmuLH47Gun0M4nZZ8fg.png[/IMG]

In 2016, YouGov found that Conservative supporters were less likely to say they would be upset if their child married someone who supported Labour, and that Republicans were less likely to say they would be upset if their child married a Democrat.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1280/1*nJUhq1EQDff9AlsIVwx35A.png[/IMG]

In 2017, Pew Research found that Democrats were much more likely to say that a friend voting for Trump would put a strain on their friendship than Republicans were to say that a friend voting for Hillary Clinton would put a strain on their friendship.

In 2017, The Dartmouth (a college newspaper) found that Democrats were much more likely than Republicans to say they would be uncomfortable having a roommate with opposing political views to their own.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1259/1*E1c-t8EgriBuVQGBjkTmNg.png[/IMG]

In 2017, The Cato institute found that Hillary Clinton voters were much more likely to say they would find it hard to be friends with a Donald Trump voter than vice versa.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/813/1*cev8ULw63nAlPwv5wAmQyQ.png[/IMG]

In 2018 the The Dartmouth replicated their 2017 result, finding that Democrats were much more likely than Republicans to say they would be disinclined to befriend another student who had political beliefs opposite from their own.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1509/1*iW8l52dbO_Z13E1GeoE8vA.png[/IMG]

In 2018, YouGov confirmed that Labour and Remain supporters were more less likely to have friends with different political views than were Conservative and Leave supporters.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1342/1*7RcOzaYiRBx9cqh6WE1Eog.png[/IMG]

In 2018, a paper by Dr Joseph Yoo and his colleagues found that liberals were more likely than conservatives to unfriend others on social media (although they were no more likely to hide or unfollow others on Facebook).

In 2019, Dr Gregory Eady and his colleagues confirmed that conservatives were more likely to follow left-leaning social media accounts than liberals were to follow right-leaning social media account.

In 2019, YouGov found that Leave voters were much more likely to say they wouldnt mind at all if a close relative married someone who supported Remain than vice versa.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1104/1*s-2noPESyfA1jsiSwv7oaA.png[/IMG]

In 2019, Dr Matt Goodwin and Dr Aleksandra Cichocka confirmed that Leave supporters were less likely than Remain supporters to distance themselves from people on the other side when it came to acquaintances, co-workers, neighbours, friends, and potential marriage partners for their children.

In 2019, the Public Religion Research Institute found that Democrats were more likely to say they would be unhappy if their son or daughter married a Republican than vice versa.

It should be noted that not all the evidence goes in the same direction. For example, a 2012 paper in Public Opinion Quarterly reported that Republicans were more likely than Democrats to say they would be unhappy if their child married someone from the opposite party. And a 2016 survey by Professor Lynn Vavreck found no difference between supporters of the two parties.

Overall however, the weight of evidence (especially the most recent evidence) indicates that Dr Roaches decision was not an isolated incident. Of course, it might simply be that people with left-wing/liberal views are more willing to admit to disengaging from their ideological opponents.
    Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no-one is too poor to buy. - C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago @ 04:04 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    natural order
    Religion
    pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I have made the experience that politically left winged persons are more intolerant than right winged ones in general. They take their political attitude with them into every part of life and distance themselves from people who disagree with them politically. Especially left winged women are very intolerant and tend to radicalism. It is rather difficult to win their friendships when they know who you are. People with right wing/nationalist views are more tolerant and tend to push aside political views in personal acquaintances.
    "Denk ich an Deutschland in der Nacht, dann bin ich um den Schlaf gebracht. Ich kann die Augen nicht mehr schlieen und meine heien Trnen flieen!" (Heinrich Heine, "Nachtgedanken")

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argos For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 01:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    I've met a skinhead once. He was an oversized, overstuffed good natured man. I knew who Skrewdriver was and we talked for a time.
    I also met an antifa. He was a vicious, hateful, spiteful little man. He hated southerners and Germans and said he was glad German
    women were raped during WW2. I have no doubt who the real "haters" are and its not us.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astragoth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    5 Minutes Ago @ 07:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,367 Posts
    I'm more than willing to listen to the other side's views but they will never elaborate on them.

I suspect this is because, when probed, their claims don't add up so they shun their opponents (and shout insults instead) rather than having to defend what they're saying.

One thing I'd love to debate with Lefties - and I'd give any amount of time to get to the bottom of this - is their assertion that "immigrants are good for the economy".

This has been their mantra for the past half a century, repeated ad nauseam, and nobody in the (((MSM))) has ever challenged it. I'm sure there's a good reason for this

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

aka Johan the Blind Goodman John's Avatar
    Last Online
    Friday, September 13th, 2019 @ 03:52 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland
    Country
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Hospital Administration
    Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Cathar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I'm more than happy to listen to the other guy's views and opinions, even if I ultimately don't agree with them, on one simple condition: it doesn't get personal. I'll debate politics, religion, sex, rock and roll, or brands of knitting needles all day long- but as soon as you attack me personally calling me ignorant or an idiot or something of that nature, it's over. I don't do ad hominem attacks, and I expect- and require- the same courtesy in return.
    When someone asks, "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodman John For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodman John View Post
    I'm more than happy to listen to the other guy's views and opinions, even if I ultimately don't agree with them, on one simple condition: it doesn't get personal. I'll debate politics, religion, sex, rock and roll, or brands of knitting needles all day long- but as soon as you attack me personally calling me ignorant or an idiot or something of that nature, it's over. I don't do ad hominem attacks, and I expect- and require- the same courtesy in return.
    I concur.

Also, when interaction between members discussing a controversial topic indicates increasing hostility, I prefer to quietly bow out, because I realize I can't rationally alter the views of those who exhibit a different perspective on an important issue... And exchanging insults is ridiculous.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,316 Posts
    I think it is always good to try to know as much as possible. Look & value different matters from different sides. And only after that create your personal opinion. By then other people can not influence you easily.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    "Immigrants are good for the economy" as long as we can keep them working for the lowest wages possible..............been there at one time.