Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has Anyone Tried Impossible or Beyond Meat Burgers?

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago @ 12:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celtic
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Vagrant
    Politics
    Nativism/Nationalism
    Religion
    Summum bonum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    In Sweden, there's a tradition of putting beaver glands in a bottle of liquor, to have it infused with the glands' taste and smell. 'Bäverhojt' they call it. Not for the faint of heart.
    I read that the glands are supposed to smell like motor oil or rancid cheese? Why would anyone do this?! Lol, I guess it's not too far from sniffing petrol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coillearnach For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 06:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon-Celt
    Ancestry
    Irish, English, Scottish, German, French, Mi'kmaq
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    maker of things
    Politics
    non-corruption for the people
    Religion
    Pantheism / Norse pagan / Taoism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Mostly the argument is "I want to protest animal keeping conditions" and "environment issues", and then these people go and buy soy products, for which millions of square miles of rainforest gets cut down

You've said this before... I know you believe this is true but it is not true!

The vast majority of soy grown is for animal feed! (to feed animals grown purposefully to make meat). People can go look this up if they want.

Huge amounts of rain forest is deforested primarily to grow soy and other plants as animal feed for growing more meat animals! They are not deforesting huge amounts of land for the tiny demand from the very few vegetarians/vegans. They are deforesting it to grow more plant food to feed the animals raised for the even greater demand for meat in the world.

Animals raised for meat require a huge amount of plant feed , fresh water , energy and farmland use for growing all of this plant feed. I don't think people really ponder how many kg of plant feed goes to make 1 kg of meat. Add fresh water, energy, petroleum, fertilizers, pesticides for the huge amount of plants grown to feed farmed animals and the meat industry is an enormous user of resources.

There is very little demand for vegetarians and vegan foods ... if you go into the average supermarket here, there are entire rows and fridges the whole length of the store full of meat products and one tiny fridge with a couple "burger" types and a limited number of products.

----------------

As far as the "Beyond Meat" burger, I don't know why this one in particular is causing such a fuss since these veggie burgers have been around for a long time.

I saw them in a store but they were expensive. I sometimes get a different one because they are half the price.

The meat industry apparently is fighting back at this burger I think because it has gotten into some fast food places. Of course as a business interest, that interest group is going to say everything negative it can about this burger.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravenrune For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    46 Minutes Ago @ 02:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coillearnach View Post
    I read that the glands are supposed to smell like motor oil or rancid cheese? Why would anyone do this?! Lol, I guess it's not too far from sniffing petrol.
    Well, it comes from the same country where fermented herring in a tin can is considered food for festive occasions.

A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Daci, Suebi, Carpi
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heidin
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Probable you can't. Just mentioned that as shops minced meats are one of those products which you don't really know what you're buying. But if do that by yourself ... you'll know. One secret how to make the best meatballs ever .
    Actually... I remember using that for meatballs... If being creative, one can use it to mince mushrooms or anything else that can be used in a vegetarian or vegan diet. After all, one of the secrets of preparing good food is also the spices used, that give the flavour of the food...

Instead of meatballs with meat, or anything else traditionally made with meat, one can use mushrooms, and the same spices, and still get very tasty and yummy food!

I was a big fan of meatballs in my childhood... and now I am enjoying the version with mushrooms instead! I've tried soy too, but... well, I am not such a big fan of soy, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Another reason why I am not fond of burgers is that I am not fond of bread... Burgers also include bread, so... When it comes to bread, I prefer knekkebrųd, and burgers with knekkebrųd doesn't sound like a good combination!
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vķšįlfr View Post
    Actually... I remember using that for meatballs... If being creative, one can use it to mince mushrooms or anything else that can be used in a vegetarian or vegan diet. After all, one of the secrets of preparing good food is also the spices used, that give the flavour of the food...

Instead of meatballs with meat, or anything else traditionally made with meat, one can use mushrooms, and the same spices, and still get very tasty and yummy food!

I was a big fan of meatballs in my childhood... and now I am enjoying the version with mushrooms instead! I've tried soy too, but... well, I am not such a big fan of soy, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Another reason why I am not fond of burgers is that I am not fond of bread... Burgers also include bread, so... When it comes to bread, I prefer knekkebrųd, and burgers with knekkebrųd doesn't sound like a good combination!
    Ever tasted Lapland bread ... we packaged that as we left hiking. It is pretty good. Soft. Can be used many ways.

They have hard knäckebröd version of it too ... pretty good too.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Impossible Burger vs. Beyond Meat Burger: Taste, ingredients and availability compared

Undoubtedly 2019 is the year of faux meat.

With Beyond Meat going public -- and shocking people all over with a better-than-expected IPO -- fake meat stands a chance to become a huge industry of its own, larger than just a part of the plant-based movement.

For various reasons, such as personal health concerns and the environmental impact of animal agriculture, more people are choosing to eat less meat. But with new brands cropping up across the market, consumers are faced with more decisions than ever before.

Here's your guide to two of the most popular faux meat options on the market: the Impossible Burger from Impossible Foods and the Beyond Burger from Beyond Meat.

Comparing ingredients

Look at the packaging on a Beyond Burger or an Impossible Burger and you'll find a sprawling list of ingredients.

The Impossible Burger contains:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Other than water, the main ingredient is soy protein concentrate. In and of themselves, soybeans are perfectly healthy, but soy protein concentrate is heavily processed, which means many of the benefits of the raw food are lost.

For example, raw soybeans provide a great deal of calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, iron and magnesium, but Impossible Foods fortifies its burgers with vitamins and minerals, likely to make up for the lost nutrients during processing.

The Beyond Burger contains:

Water, Pea Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Contains 2% or less of the following: Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract (to protect quality), Ascorbic Acid (to maintain color), Beet Juice Extract (for color), Acetic Acid, Succinic Acid, Modified Food Starch, Annatto (for color).

In terms of ingredients, the two burgers are pretty similar, the exception being the main protein source. Beyond Meat uses pea protein instead of soy protein, and there's no soy leghemoglobin, which is Impossible's key ingredient that makes the burger "bleed."

Also, Beyond Burger's red color comes from beet extract, rather than heme from the leghemoglobin like in the Impossible patty.

Are they vegan?

Yep, the Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat Burger are both vegan -- neither contains any animal products of by-products.

In a statement to CNET, Impossible Foods confirmed that its burger is vegan, but noted it has used animal testing to evaluate the safety of its heme protein (also called soy leghemoglobin).

Beyond Meat goes one step further to state that all of its products are certified vegan by the Vegan Action Foundation.

The Impossible Burger is also certified halal and kosher. Beyond Meat doesn't specify if its products are kosher or halal.

Is the Beyond Burger or Impossible Burger healthier?

The bottom line is that both of these companies have created a "burger" in a lab, made from only plant products and designed to emulate the taste and texture of real beef. Your comfort level with that depends on your stance on food engineering (and how picky you are about beef, if you do eat it).

A few things might influence your opinion on which burger is healthier:

• The Impossible Burger contains mostly organic ingredients, while the Beyond Burger doesn't
    • The Beyond Burger is strictly non-GMO, whereas Impossible Foods recently faced backlash about using genetically modified ingredients that contain the pesticide glyphosate
    • The Impossible Burger is fortified with more vitamins and minerals than the Beyond Burger

From a numbers standpoint, both burgers hit around the same marks: Per serving they both have:

• Just under 300 calories
    • About 20 grams of protein
    • Nearly 400 milligrams of sodium -- so be mindful if you're watching your salt intake.

The Beyond Meat burger has 20 grams of fat to Impossible Burger's 14. You can see the full nutritional values for the Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat for more info

Does the Beyond Burger or Impossible Burger taste better?

Well, the Impossible Burger evidently tastes enough like real beef to gross out vegetarians, and food scientists at Impossible Foods say the burger can substitute for ground beef in any recipe.

The Beyond Burger is described as having a somewhat coconut-y aftertaste, but the majority of reviews on Amazon come from happy customers who are impressed by proximity to real beef.

Both burgers are generally described as resembling beef more than traditional veggie burger patties (like a Boca Burger). However, the taste and texture of both burgers may not be close enough for some beef lovers.

In one taste test that involved an Impossible Burger, a Beyond Burger and a regular beef burger, all tasters could point out which patties were plant-based and which one was real beef.

It's worth pointing out that there is no one Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat Burger. Restaurants use the patties from either brand to create an faux-meat burger option that fits with their menu. The patties are the common denominator, but the flavor of the entire burger is unique to each restaurant.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/beyond-mea...he-difference/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123