Thread: Trams Around the World

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    20 Hours Ago @ 03:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germans, Hungarians, Slavs
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Democratic National-Conservativ
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Trams Around the World

I have dedicated this thread to the trams, local rails or railnetwork map of your home area. I would like to see old or new photos about contemporary or nostalgy trams or local rails. I have unexpected any politics or trolling.

I live in Budapest, capitol city of Hungary and the formal second capitol city of Austria-Hungary (the first was Vienna). Budapest has 4 underground railway lines, 5 local railway lines and 35 tramway lines. I will show it several posts the past and the present this huge network of a 2 million inhabitated metropolis.

I start of this the first tramway line of Budapest. In the 19th century Budapest was one of the greatest metropolis in the world with own 1 million inhabitants as the second capital of the great power Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. Budapest formed from 3 city, Buda and Óbuda (Old-Buda) in the right side of the Danube river and Pest in the other side in 1873. The medieval Pest had a waterditch and Pest and its suburbs were in the Pest-island, a great Danube branch sourranded the area. Later all the both waterway had becomen to groundways: the Small Boulevard and the Grand Boulevard of Pest. The first tramway has started in the Great Boulevard front of the Western Railroad Station till the one of the most important avenue of Budapest, "the" Avenue (nowadays Andrássy way, about the minister of foreign affair of the Monarchy). This was a narrow tracked railway, but later it has been normal width. The authorities of the city did not engage the wires in the air hence the engineers has maken the Budapest-system wire network. The electric wires were underground and a metal staff on the trams had gotten the eletricity to the tramway car. This was very esthetic but very problematic system. After the WWI all lines of Budapest have been with air wires. Later the tramway of the Grand Boulevard has been longer including the whole Boulevard and boulevards of Buda in the other side of the river. Nowadays this is the most important tramway in Budapest and this line carries much people like an underground line. The contemporary trams are the Siemens Combino with 53'990 mm length. Two lines are in the Boulvard, the 4 and the 6 what have different tramway in South-Buda, only few station. Hence we use to call 4-6. The 6É (É means "éjszakai" nightly) night line is the only remained nightly tramline in the citiy

The first tram front of the Western Railroad Station by the Siemens & Halske company. The Western Tramway Station was planned by Gustave Eiffel, Auguste de Serres and Theophile Steyring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img2232.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	114805

The contemporary Siemens Combinos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0002.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	114806

"Remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus,"or that virtue "was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice."
    /King Baldwin IV in the Kingdom of Heaven/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wulfaz For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    My dad told me about the Indiana interurban rail line that used to connect my city of residence, Terre Haute, with the State Capital, Indianapolis.

The entire railway was recently removed when State Highway 40 was renovated.

https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2...lroad-205.html

An historic photo:
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    The only tram I've been on is the one in NYC that passes over the East River. I am terrified of heights and of passing over water (afraid of falling in and drowning).

The Roosevelt Island Tramway is an aerial tramway in New York City that spans the East River and connects Roosevelt Island to the Upper East Side of Manhattan. The tramway is the first commuter aerial tramway in North America, having opened in 1976. Since then, over 26 million passengers have ridden the tram.
    The tram consists of two capsules that run back and forth on two parallel tracks. It is one of the few forms of mass transit in New York City not run by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, but uses that system's MetroCard and has free transfers to that system.

The tram is operated by LPOA (Leitner-Poma of America) on behalf of the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation of the State of New York, a state public benefit corporation created in 1984 to run services on the island.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

Tram

The Roosevelt Island Tramway provides the most modern aerial tramway in the world, running every 7-15 minutes from 59th Street and Second Avenue in Manhattan to Tramway Plaza on Roosevelt Island.
    https://rioc.ny.gov/302/Tram

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago @ 01:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,374 Posts
    Leicester had some trams that my Grandad used to tell me about.

I think he worked on them for a while but it's 70 years since the last one ran.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post: