Thread: How Far Down the Rabbit Hole Do You Go?

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 04:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Hospital Administration
    Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Germanic / Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

How Far Down the Rabbit Hole Do You Go?

I am all for 'honoring one's ancestors and culture', but how far do you really take it? Do you take the time to carefully document your family tree to 'prove' your 'German-ness'- and, if so, how far back can you actually trace it? If your family line does indeed lead to Germany or some other Nordic country, but you find they emigrated there from Pakistan and changed their name, what then? Do you drop your 'German-ness' and revel in your new-found 'Pakistani-ness'? If your line reaches only to, say, the 1700's in Germany can you really claim a heritage back to the pre-Christian pagans?

My own line goes back to 1650 in Koln, but there the documented trail goes cold- so if I reach back to those pagan times for inspiration am I (or those in that position) essentially 'appropriating a culture and religion' that I can't legitimately lay claim to? If I make the very broad assumption that Koln is where my family always lived, and given that Koln was a rather important colony during the times of the Romans in the Westphalia region of Germany, it's just as likely that my line actually starts with some Roman legionary on campaign- if I were able to go back far enough. If that were the case, shouldn't I be celebrating my Roman heritage and honoring the Roman gods and learning Latin and all that?

Or do I- as I'm sure some have done over the years- just manage to trace it back to Germany/Norway/whatever and say, "AHA- I knew I was German/Norwegian/whateverish!" and leave it at that with no questions about what happened before then?

And, assuming one in good faith does claim a Germanic/Nordic heritage, how far do you go with it? Do you make any attempt to learn German or Old Norse/Icelandic, or even better, Saxon (Old English)? Have you traveled to the towns and lands of your ancestors? Have you met with relatives on the other side of the world to strengthen those family ties?

How deep does the rabbit hole go for you?

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 03:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,104 Posts
    You're overthinking all of this, Johan.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 04:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Hospital Administration
    Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Germanic / Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    LOL, you're probably right, Saxon- but what a headache it would be if someone were to think they were descended from popular race/culture X and get all into it for years and then find out they are actually from unpopular race/culture Y, which might be as different as night and day?

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 03:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,104 Posts
    I've given up worrying about these things, mate

Just forget about such hypothetical issues as Pakis germanising their names and Roman mercenaries who may have strayed onto Germanic territory. There are also those who believe in Adam & Eve (with all that this entails) and others who fall for the 'Out of Africa' BS ... this stuff could just go on forever if you let it

You cannot realistically expect to trace your ancestry back more than 500 years with any degree of certainty so I'd just settle for what you know, rather than mull over all of the potential problems that may have occurred before this.

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 06:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,050 Posts
    Genealogy is one hobby of my mother. In Finland one can quite easily reach year 1683 via Church records. After that it comes much more challenger, needs more work and sometimes even luck (if your family has not been a noble one). In Sweden bit more far back in history. After use of Church records (Mantalsskrivning (Swe) / Henkirjat (Fin) = Census (English?) can help. Since from year 1556 bailiffs had visited in villages and listed persons (Sweden ... which incl. Finland).

Lets say if one is at 16th century right now. That means about 20 generations and ancestors? 2 to the power of 20 = 1 000 000.
    If there are no ''black sheeps'' among of those ... I sleep my nights just fine.

PS: Of course nobody can say 100% sure are those Church records etc. correct (= has father and/or mother been exactly those people as marked on the papers) ... but in any cases .... I trust them / that information much more than any cheap DNA tests.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 11:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    England & Norway
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Politics
    Traditon, Monarchy, Patriotism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I go as far as my tree can take me, and infer using standard historical events and relative location for the rest. You can only go so far back before it becomes muddled, and sadly the pagans of old Europe were bad at keeping records, in comparison to their Christian counterparts.

Last Online
    2 Minutes Ago @ 06:08 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Emmingen, Baden-Württemburg
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Taurus
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retail Sales Management
    Politics
    Nationalsozialist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Genealogy is one hobby of my mother. In Finland one can quite easily reach year 1683 via Church records. After that it comes much more challenger, needs more work and sometimes even luck (if your family has not been a noble one). In Sweden bit more far back in history. After use of Church records (Mantalsskrivning (Swe) / Henkirjat (Fin) = Census (English?) can help. Since from year 1556 bailiffs had visited in villages and listed persons (Sweden ... which incl. Finland).

Lets say if one is at 16th century right now. That means about 20 generations and ancestors? 2 to the power of 20 = 1 000 000.
    If there are no ''black sheeps'' among of those ... I sleep my nights just fine.

PS: Of course nobody can say 100% sure are those Church records etc. correct (= has father and/or mother been exactly those people as marked on the papers) ... but in any cases .... I trust them / that information much more than any cheap DNA tests.
    It was a hobby of my Grandmother's too. Being the Mormon that she was that seems to be a common thread in that religion; to trace your family geneology. She was actually quite good at it and did it for decades until she passed away at the age of 98 around 1987.
    American by birth, made of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Der Familie Rentz seit 1535 - Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!