Thread: History versus What Might Have Been (Personal)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago @ 03:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Hospital Administration
    Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Undecided
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

History versus What Might Have Been (Personal)

I'm new to the forum, and finding my way around- but I'm finding myself in a odd position. You see, my family line has been traced to Koln (Cologne) Germany back to 1650- but there the trail goes cold.

My present issue is that I know my ancestors were likely to be Catholics, and if I were to honor them- as best I know that can be documents- that faith should be an important consideration. HOWEVER, although I have absolutely no proof whatsoever where my family originated or dwelt prior to Koln, I've been drawn to the pre-Christian roots of the region and specifically heathenry. And that in itself leaves a lot of ground to cover- given the location of Koln (as a starting point) I could easily swing towards a more Nordic approach, a more Germanic approach, Anglo-Saxon, or even a Celtic approach *could* be appropriate.

I know, especially here on this corner of the internet, there's a big issue of honoring one's roots and ancestors and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that. For me, though, as a result of past experience the 'Christian thing' is a non-starter with me so that steers me toward one or more of the earlier traditions- I just don't know which one to throw in with just yet!

Has anyone else run into this sort of situation and, if so, how did you manage to resolve it? Or is it an ongoing issue?

Last Online
    35 Minutes Ago @ 09:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    Everyone here has Catholic and Heathen ancestors, the matter you bring up has been indeed discussed before on this forum. I'm not sure how everyone goes about this individually, but very few people seem to make an issue out of it as far as their own life choices go. If you have a family member who fought in WW2 on the allied side, which is the case for many non-German members, it shouldn't have an impact on how you view the post-WW2 world either. Be glad they made it out alive (probably). An ancestor is an ancestor first, there was no reason for them to be anything other than Catholic or Heathen when they were alive. And there's no need to disown any of them unless they were the worst kind of scum imaginable.
    "To the meaningless French idealisms: Liberty, Equality and Fraternity, we propose the three German realities: Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery." - Prince Bernhard von Bülow

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chlodovech For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago @ 03:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Hospital Administration
    Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Undecided
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Not the 'worst' kind of scum imaginable, but my great-grandfather (on my mother's side) was a moonshiner and my great-grandmother (his wife) was a morphine addict (and dealer) back in the day. GGf Norman spent some time in jail in Memphis at one point; it seems a gentleman from there was looking to 'buy' my grandmother at a young age for marriage and when they got to town the guy decided he didn't want to pay up so GGf Norman shot the guy stone-cold dead.

A rather far cry from the family of the 1650's, when the old man made his living as a tailor in Koln. His grandson moved the family to the Americas in 1720.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan the Blind View Post
    Not the 'worst' kind of scum imaginable, but my great-grandfather (on my mother's side) was a moonshiner.
    I see nothing wrong with being a moonshiner, though the US government does because they don't get a piece of the action. So, no your Great Grandfather was not "the worst kind of scum" for being a moonshiner, whatever else he did might or might not be a different story.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post: