@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts

Only Half of Your Friends Actually Like You, Science Reveals

When you call someone a friend, it goes without saying that they too consider you a friend - you like them, they like you, it's a reciprocal thing.

But a 2016 study found that this is probably only true about 50 percent of the time - only half of perceived friendships are actually mutual, and that's a problem.

Led by researchers from MIT, the study analysed friendship ties in 84 subjects aged 23 to 38, who were taking part in a business management class.

The subjects were asked to rank how close they were with each person in the class on a scale of 0 to 5, where 0 means "I do not know this person," 3 means "Friend," and 5 means "One of my best friends."

The researchers found that while 94 percent of the subjects expected their feelings to be reciprocated, only 53 percent of them actually were.

The study is of course limited because of its tiny sample size, but as Kate Murphy reports for The New York Times, the results are consistent with data from several other friendship studies from the past decade, comprising more than 92,000 subjects, that put reciprocity rates at 34 to 53 percent.

This perception gap when it comes to friendship hints at a number of pretty significant problems, from our inability to clearly define friendship and the impact this could have on our own self-image, to us having the wrong idea about the kind of people who could actually affect social change.

While one of the team, computational social science researcher Alex Pentland, suggests that this inability to read people is largely due to us desperately trying to maintain a favourable self image - "We like them, they must like us." - the concept of friendship is actually really difficult to define.

"Ask people to define friendship - even researchers like Mr Pentland who study it - and you'll get an uncomfortable silence followed by 'er' or 'um,'" says Murphy.

It wasn't always this hard. When we're kids, the concept of friendship is pretty simple, as the kids from everyone's new favourite show, Stranger Things, spell out:

A friend is someone that you'd do anything for.
    You lend them your cool stuff, like comic books and trading cards.
    They never break a promise.
    And, most importantly, "Friends don't lie."

But in adolescence through to adulthood, things aren't so simple - especially when we've got social media pushing friendship as a commodity, which is pretty much the exact opposite of how you're supposed to think of them.

"Treating friends like investments or commodities is anathema to the whole idea of friendship," Ronald Sharp, a professor of English at Vassar College, who teaches a course on the literature of friendship, told Murphy. "It's not about what someone can do for you, it's who and what the two of you become in each other's presence."

Sharp adds that for many of our friendships, we spend way more time tweeting at each other than actually hanging out with them, and this is how perceptions can get seriously skewed.

"People are so eager to maximise efficiency of relationships that they have lost touch with what it is to be a friend," he says.

But hey, it's not all bad news. If you cut your friends by half and end up with five true pals who really do love you back, you're exactly where you're supposed to be, says renowned British anthropologist, Robin Dunbar.

According to a study led by Dunbar, while 150 is the maximum number of social relationships the average human can maintain with any degree of stability, we're only able to maintain a mere five close friendships at a time.

"People may say they have more than five but you can be pretty sure they are not high-quality friendships," he told The Times.

So don't sweat it if your friend lists on social media aren't as massive as your friends - chances are most of us are actually pretty equal when it comes to real friendships.

And don't believe what you hear about the people with the biggest following having the most influence, because what's the point when half of them aren't likely to be reciprocated?

"We shouldn't assume people with a high number of social ties are 'influencers'," Pentland writes for the Harvard Business Review.

"Such people are no better, and often are worse than average people at exerting social influence. Our results suggest that this is because many of those ties either are not reciprocal or go in the wrong direction, and therefore won't lead to effective persuasion."

So if you're looking for someone who can influence others and affect social change, says Pentland, don't look for one individual with lots of friends, look for groups of people with a similar number of friends, and lots of friends in common.

Because their connections are going to be a whole lot more real than anything in Kim Kardashian's feed.
    https://www.sciencealert.com/you-hav...do-study-finds

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 07:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon-Celt
    Ancestry
    Irish, English, Scottish, German, French, Mi'kmaq
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    maker of things
    Politics
    non-corruption for the people
    Religion
    Pantheism / Norse pagan / Taoism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    then there's "Facebook friends" ... where only 1 in 1000 like you haha

aka Johan the Blind Goodman John's Avatar
    Last Online
    Friday, September 13th, 2019 @ 04:52 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Hospital Administration
    Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Cathar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Outside of immediate family, I have no friends- just work acquaintances- so I'll take the hit for the half a person who doesn't like me.

As a general guideline, though, I'll be friendly to anyone- but I'll also be ready to kill everyone in the room if I have to.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodman John For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 01:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English/British, part Irish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Sussex Sussex
    Single adult
    Occupation
    warehouse work, arts and crafts
    Politics
    Tribalism, Anarcho-Primitivism
    Religion
    Traditionalist Pagan/heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    i'd like to know where this ridiculous "study" comes from, as it's not taking into account the differences between people who would claim to have 100+ friends compared to those like me who have probably around ten to a dozen or so friends they stay in touch with. The more "friends" you have, the more likely they are to dislike you, this "study" doesn't take that obvious fact into account

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 04:29 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Emmingen, Baden-Württemburg
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Taurus
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retail Sales Management
    Politics
    Nationalsozialist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    324 Posts
    I know only a couple of people that would consider me friends. The rest are all acquaintances either at work, or from previous employment.

The only real friend I had passed away about three weeks ago at age 58. I'd known him since 1969.
    American by birth, made of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Der Familie Rentz seit 1535 - Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Munchkin
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    469 Posts
    I have a few close relatives, and a number of acquaintances, and co-workers. But, aside from my hubby, I only have one other person I consider a real friend.
    Not all in life is at it appears to be.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 07:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon-Celt
    Ancestry
    Irish, English, Scottish, German, French, Mi'kmaq
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    maker of things
    Politics
    non-corruption for the people
    Religion
    Pantheism / Norse pagan / Taoism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Rentz View Post
    I know only a couple of people that would consider me friends. The rest are all acquaintances either at work, or from previous employment.

The only real friend I had passed away about three weeks ago at age 58. I'd known him since 1969.

I'm sorry to hear that :-(

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 04:29 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Emmingen, Baden-Württemburg
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Taurus
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retail Sales Management
    Politics
    Nationalsozialist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    324 Posts
    He was the only other kid that lived on my block. I met him when we returned from living in Germany for two years.
    American by birth, made of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Der Familie Rentz seit 1535 - Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 04:48 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    I used to have a lot of friends while living in California. They loved me because they used to borrow a lot of different tools. Once they were done using them, I did not hear from them again...........
    My true friends are my wife, my daughter, my grand kids and my great grand kids. We all love each other.
    My ultimate friend is of course my Lord Jesus Christ.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schwab For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts

Only Half of Your Friends Actually Like You, Science Reveals

Source: Science Alert

When you call someone a friend, it goes without saying that they too consider you a friend - you like them, they like you, it's a reciprocal thing.

But a 2016 study found that this is probably only true about 50 percent of the time - only half of perceived friendships are actually mutual, and that's a problem.

Led by researchers from MIT, the study analysed friendship ties in 84 subjects aged 23 to 38, who were taking part in a business management class.

The subjects were asked to rank how close they were with each person in the class on a scale of 0 to 5, where 0 means "I do not know this person," 3 means "Friend," and 5 means "One of my best friends."

The researchers found that while 94 percent of the subjects expected their feelings to be reciprocated, only 53 percent of them actually were.

The study is of course limited because of its tiny sample size, but as Kate Murphy reports for The New York Times, the results are consistent with data from several other friendship studies from the past decade, comprising more than 92,000 subjects, that put reciprocity rates at 34 to 53 percent.

This perception gap when it comes to friendship hints at a number of pretty significant problems, from our inability to clearly define friendship and the impact this could have on our own self-image, to us having the wrong idea about the kind of people who could actually affect social change.

While one of the team, computational social science researcher Alex Pentland, suggests that this inability to read people is largely due to us desperately trying to maintain a favourable self image - "We like them, they must like us." - the concept of friendship is actually really difficult to define.

"Ask people to define friendship - even researchers like Mr Pentland who study it - and you'll get an uncomfortable silence followed by 'er' or 'um,'" says Murphy.

It wasn't always this hard. When we're kids, the concept of friendship is pretty simple, as the kids from everyone's new favourite show, Stranger Things, spell out:

• A friend is someone that you'd do anything for.
    • You lend them your cool stuff, like comic books and trading cards.
    • They never break a promise.

And, most importantly, "Friends don't lie."

But in adolescence through to adulthood, things aren't so simple - especially when we've got social media pushing friendship as a commodity, which is pretty much the exact opposite of how you're supposed to think of them.

"Treating friends like investments or commodities is anathema to the whole idea of friendship," Ronald Sharp, a professor of English at Vassar College, who teaches a course on the literature of friendship, told Murphy. "It's not about what someone can do for you, it's who and what the two of you become in each other's presence."

Sharp adds that for many of our friendships, we spend way more time tweeting at each other than actually hanging out with them, and this is how perceptions can get seriously skewed.

"People are so eager to maximise efficiency of relationships that they have lost touch with what it is to be a friend," he says.

But hey, it's not all bad news. If you cut your friends by half and end up with five true pals who really do love you back, you're exactly where you're supposed to be, says renowned British anthropologist, Robin Dunbar.

According to a study led by Dunbar, while 150 is the maximum number of social relationships the average human can maintain with any degree of stability, we're only able to maintain a mere five close friendships at a time.

"People may say they have more than five but you can be pretty sure they are not high-quality friendships," he told The Times.

So don't sweat it if your friend lists on social media aren't as massive as your friends - chances are most of us are actually pretty equal when it comes to real friendships.

And don't believe what you hear about the people with the biggest following having the most influence, because what's the point when half of them aren't likely to be reciprocated?

"We shouldn't assume people with a high number of social ties are 'influencers'," Pentland writes for the Harvard Business Review.

"Such people are no better, and often are worse than average people at exerting social influence. Our results suggest that this is because many of those ties either are not reciprocal or go in the wrong direction, and therefore won't lead to effective persuasion."

So if you're looking for someone who can influence others and affect social change, says Pentland, don't look for one individual with lots of friends, look for groups of people with a similar number of friends, and lots of friends in common.

Because their connections are going to be a whole lot more real than anything in Kim Kardashian's feed.

The study was published in PLOS One.

“Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no-one is too poor to buy.” - C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle