Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Jens Lornsen View Post
    The fridge should suffice 7 kB/s to send it's weekly demand to the
    delivery grocer as plain (compressed) text file ,

Still it's stupid. A single terminal in the kitchen would suffice. You can view and store recipes on it, buy groceries, play music, check the weather, or whatever...
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.
    Open, locks,
    Whoever knocks.

Last Online
    19 Hours Ago @ 08:12 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Poland, Italy
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Software Engineer
    Politics
    Fascism
    Religion
    I Am
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    There is some truth to this, but the issue I have is that there is no actual data to look at. I tend to look at this subject from a purely technical aspect, and have a general understanding of real worl applications and try not to take things out of context.

For example... there currently is not much publically available information relating to this technology, or if it does exist then it is not easily found. I have already tried for a few hours to find information and I just find proposals and links to companies trying to sell things. And then there is the disinfo stuff that has the FUD like in the first part of the first post in this thread.

So in general, we are to understand the 5G technology would work under the same basic principles as 4G/LTE, which also works under the same principles as radio and television communication. There is not any real difference in the basics, so the concept is quite old, the main difference being the frequencies and the contents of the signal. Radio and television were analog at the start, and the new technologies we see are digital. In terms of wave composition, the difference is round vs square.

But, getting back to how 5G is supposed to work. It is the same as 4G and other phone broadcast services and this is well documented already. If you have ever seen a 3/4G transmitter or picture of one, you would know there are warning labelling, and in order to service equipment at such a place you must wear protective clothing with a particular distance. This is also well documented and you should be able to find this information quite easily. The way this technology works is that the receivers of the signals (in general use) exist outside of the zone where the frequency is the strongest. This zone is called the Fresnel Zone. You can look up this term to see pictures of what this looks like.

It is well established that a person should not occupy a space within the Fresnel Zone, and if they must then they would have to wear protective clothing. This is not a big deal for the regular person because 3/4G transmitters are on top of tall buildings or towers, and ideally a person would not be occupying the danger area.

The idea of 5G is to put a "repeater" on every street corner, or every telephone pole or whatever. The main transmitters would still be in places where existing phone transmitters are located, high up places. The repeaters repeaters are designed to receive the signal from the large transmitters above and rebroadcast them below. I already have read that some of these "pilot cities" for 5G are not using 5G devices, rather than 4G/LTE devices to do this work. As long as these devices are not put into a location where a place where people occupy would exist within the danger area of the Fresnel Zone, it will not have any health problems caused to anyone.

However, if this is a true 5G transmitter/repeater, which would have a "livable" range of say 800meters... if it is placed on a telephone or light pole on a street where there is a building within that range, and say the device is on the same level as the second or third floor of a building or house (because what is the distance between the building and the pole on the street?) then this would be very bad.

BUT, this is piecemeal information. We have only the transmission capabilities and the signal properties of 5G and what that signal is capable of, and then we know the capabilities of 4G transmitters and their different ranges in regards to safety regulations. We do not have this information on whether 5G is operating under the same principles of 4G, we do not know the safety ranges, and we do not know the capabilities of the devices that will be mounted lower to the ground on telephone poles or whatnot.

It is funny to note, if you look at how the technology works and remember how television or radio would work (especially in the analog days and you lived in a valley or were blocked by hills or a mountain) then you can see where the flaw in this technology is. The problems of early radio and television are the same here. We fixed the issues with television by putting huge antennas on our houses to pick up the TV signals, because our houses were not way up in the sky where the signal was the strongest. Cell phones and wireless communication have the same issue. If we could put 30 meter antenna on our cell phones, we would have super fast speed even with 3G or perhaps even older phone technology!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tripredacus For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago @ 05:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm a college student right now and decided to take a foreign policy related class because I'm quirky. All I've heard about for the last couple months has been China's promotion of 5G tech and that the USA hates this.

How hard would it for the US gov to create a few dozen fake internet accounts and then spread exaggerated rumors about 5G phones so that everyone is afraid of it? I mean, the Huawei lady (I can't remember her name, sorry) was arrested in Canada over this so bending the law a bit isn't out of the question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12