Thread: Nearly 1/3 of Early Deaths Could Be Prevented by Giving Up Meat, Says Harvard

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Daci, Suebi, Carpi & Bastarni
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    437 Posts

Nearly 1/3 of Early Deaths Could Be Prevented by Giving Up Meat, Says Harvard

Nearly 1/3 of Early Deaths Could Be Prevented by Giving Up Meat, Says Harvard

More and more evidence is emerging that highlights the tremendous benefits of adopting a plant-based diet. This lifestyle can have a drastic impact on our environment, animal welfare and our health.
    What small changes could you make in your diet today to protect yourself from easily preventable diseases? Why is it that so many people are so addicted to meat to begin with? If you are not already a vegetarian, have you considered at least cutting down meat intake?

Whether it be from a place of compassion, growing concern for environmental sustainability or a more thorough understanding of what it really means to be healthy, one thing is clear – more and more people are cutting out or at least cutting back on meat and other animal products, and for good reason. Scientists from the University of Harvard have found that at least one-third of all early deaths could be prevented if everyone moved over to a vegetarian diet.

Dr. Walter Willett, professor of epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard Medical School says that the overwhelming evidence in regards to the benefits of a plant-based diet has been extremely underrated.
    Figures from the Office for National Statistics suggest that around 24 percent, or 141,000 deaths each year in Britain were entirely preventable, the majority of those numbers were due to smoking, alcohol or obesity.
    New figures from Harvard are now suggesting that at a minimum, 200,000 lives could be spared each year if people were to simply cut meat from their diets.

While speaking at the Unite to Cure Fourth International Vatican Conference in Vatican City, Dr. Willet said: “We have just been doing some calculations looking at the question of how much could we reduce mortality shifting towards a healthy, more plant-based diet, not necessarily totally vegan, and our estimates are about one-third of deaths could be prevented.
    That’s not even talking about physical activity or not smoking, and that’s all deaths, not just cancer deaths. That’s probably an underestimate as well as that doesn’t take into account the fact that obesity is important and we control for obesity.
    When we start to look at it we see that healthy diet is related to a lower risk of almost everything that we look at. Perhaps not too surprising because everything in the body is connected by the same underlying processes
    .”

Another speaker at the conference, British-born Professor David Jenkins of the University of Toronto, credited with developing the glycemic index, which outlines how carbohydrates impact blood sugar, also told the conference that the benefits of a plant-based diet have been “undersold”.

David Jenkins

According to Jenkins, humans would do better by following a “simiam” diet, similar to that of lowland gorillas who eat stems, leaves, vines, and fruits compared to the increasingly popular “paleo” diet, which cuts out carbohydrates and encourages regular consumption of meat.

Where’s The Science?

Dr. Jenkins and his team recently teamed up with The Bronx Zoo in New York and traveled to central Africa to research and record the feeding habits of gorillas.
    After recreating the diet for humans, translating to 63 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, they observed a 35 percent fall in cholesterol in only two weeks, which is the equivalent of taking statins.

That was quite dramatic” he said, “We showed that there was no real difference between what we got with the diet and what we got with a statin.”
    Statins are a prescription drug that is often prescribed by doctors to patients with high cholesterol in an attempt to stave off heart disease. Nearly 15.5 million people are currently eligible for statins equating most men over 60 and most women over 65. Because of side effects, many prefer not to or stop taking the drugs – what if the answer was much more simple the whole time?

According to Dr. Jenkins, “We’re saying you’ve got a choice, you can change your diet to therapeutically meaningful change or you can take a statin. Drug or diet.
    President of the Committee for Responsible Medicine has also stated that people need to wake up to the health benefits of a plant-based diet.
    I think we’re underestimating the effect” he told delegates.

I think people imagine that a healthy diet has only a modest effect and a vegetarian diet might help you lose a little bit of weight. But when these diets are properly constructed I think they are enormously powerful.
    A low-fat vegan diet is better than any other diet I have ever seen for improving diabetes. With regards to inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, we are seeing tremendous potential there too. Partly because of things we are avoiding and cholesterol but also because of the magical things that are in vegetables and fruits which just aren’t in spam.

Not Sure If a Plant-Based Lifestyle Is Right for You?

Vegetarianism and veganism is no longer a fad or a hipster trend – the benefits, for our environment, to learn to live compassionately towards all beings and for our health are countless and evidence is only growing. With more and more plant-based alternatives, vegetarian restaurants, recipe blogs and a large growing community, it has never been easier to consider cutting back on meat and other animal products.

If it is too drastic for you to just cut out these products altogether, that’s fine in the short term. By starting small, perhaps by making one day a week a meatless day, be it Meatless Monday, or some other day, you can begin to get a feel for plant-based recipes and meals that could be a nice segue for your transition. From there, you may want to consider something called Reducetarianism, which is pretty much what it sounds, drastically lowering your consumption of meat and other animal products. Often when people think about adopting a plant-based diet they start to think of all of the things that they will no longer be able to have.

These rules aren’t set in stone, play around with it, start incorporating more fruits and veggies, taking days off meat, find what works best for you and your lifestyle! You may find that the less meat you are eating, the more in tune with your body you are, and the easier it is to see what makes you feel good and what doesn’t.

Source

Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    337 Posts
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Minutes Ago @ 02:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    According to Jenkins, humans would do better by following a “simiam” diet, similar to that of lowland gorillas who eat stems, leaves, vines, and fruits compared to the increasingly popular “paleo” diet, which cuts out carbohydrates and encourages regular consumption of meat.

Where’s The Science?

Dr. Jenkins and his team recently teamed up with The Bronx Zoo in New York and traveled to central Africa to research and record the feeding habits of gorillas.
    After recreating the diet for humans, translating to 63 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, they observed a 35 percent fall in cholesterol in only two weeks, which is the equivalent of taking statins.
    I find this very odd. Why would one try to adopt the diet of gorillas instead of that of pre-historic humans? It would stand to reason that our bodies are better adapted to the latter. When I walk around in nature in Scandinavia (or Northern Europe in general), I see very little fruits, nuts, leaves and vegetables that could be eaten, and much less be able to sustain me in this kind of climate. You can find a good amount of berries in late summer and early autumn, as well as some mushrooms, but that's about it. What I do see, however, all year long, are the occasional rabbits, deer, elks and fish roaming around. This is what the situation looked like for our ancestors for tens of thousands of years, up until just a couple of thousand years ago.

Besides, the health risks of high cholesterol is way exaggerated and misrepresented.

b7zWNabebxs

Scientists from the University of Harvard have found that at least one-third of all early deaths could be prevented if everyone moved over to a vegetarian diet.
    I wonder how they came to this conclusion. Probably by comparing a group which eats strictly vegetarian and a group without any clear diet restrictions. The standard diet of today is filled with toxic and health detrimental ingredients. Someone who's committed themselves to a vegetarian diet will most likely be more conscious of what they put in their mouth, and not go to MacDonalds every other day and constantly sip on sodas. I think they would have seen a drastically different picture if they compared one group of vegetarians and one group of paleo-dieters/carnivores. But to my knowledge, no such study has ever been made.

A low-fat vegan diet is better than any other diet I have ever seen for improving diabetes. With regards to inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, we are seeing tremendous potential there too. Partly because of things we are avoiding and cholesterol but also because of the magical things that are in vegetables and fruits which just aren’t in spam.”
    Who the hell eats spam as a basis of sustenance???

There's nothing your body needs that it can't get from animal products. Even vitamin C is redundant. Vegans, however, cannot stay healthy without artificially supplementing with vitamins that are only naturally available through animal products. I think that speaks volumes in and of itself.

As for rheumatoid arthritis, I'd recommend watching this interview of Mikhaila Peterson (daughter of Jordan Peterson) about finding her cure to the disease.

7fncJdVjy5U
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ţoreiđar For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    849 Posts
    The inescapable fact is we are omnivorous. We are neither entirely carnivorous or herbivorous. We require a balanced diet consisting of both plant and animal matter to maintain optimum health.

As an older man, I much prefer leading a happy, active lifestyle in every respect to ending-up being a stereotypical geezer who allows society to determine they should act their age by occupying a rocking chair and slurping vegetable soup till they finally stop breathing air in this envious and judgmental world.

To maintain my physical vigor and mental acuity, I workout religiously using a circuit training regimen that progressively increases strength and endurance. And since striated muscle tissue requires a diet rich in protein, dairy and meat products are the best sources for this essential nutrient, because even though additional protein supplements are beneficial, they are no substitute for meat protein.

8 Proven Reasons Why Vegan and Vegetarian Diets Easily Ruin Your Body

"Avoiding animal meat and animal products is often touted as being 'healthy' in mainstream media. But this is not the case, in fact, as I will explain in this article, vegetarian and especially vegan diets are far from being the perfect diet for the human body.

Below I explain why you should never follow a long term vegan or vegetarian diet. You will learn how vegan and vegetarian diets do not have the health benefits that an omnivore diet has – an omnivore diet includes both plant foods, as well as several types of animal foods.

In a previous article, I’ve talked about how food from animals - milk, oysters, eggs, and liver help you build muscle and lose fat. But this article goes deeper than finding the perfect foods for body composition, this article looks at how the food we eat impairs or benefits our health."

https://www.alexfergus.com/blog/8-proven-reasons-why-vegan-and-vegetarian-diets-easily-ruin-your-body
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Daci, Suebi, Carpi & Bastarni
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    Fake 'news'!

For example:

Reason 1: It’s Hard to Get Enough Protein in a Vegan or Vegetarian Diet
    And this is where I stopped reading...

For exactly the following reasons:
    There’s no denying that our culture is obsessed with eating protein. So it should come as no surprise that vegans and vegetarians are constantly questioned about going meat-free—despite the fact that neither diet by definition is lacking in the muscle building nutrient. If you’re vegan or vegetarian, you know exactly what we’re talking about—and you’re tired of getting asked questions about the sources and quantity of your protein intake.

Continue reading if you want: 26 Best Vegetarian Protein Foods to Lose Weight and Build Muscle
    Also, did anyone hear about vegan body builders?

Some random sources:
    http://www.vegansouls.com/vegan-bodybuilders
    https://www.greatveganathletes.com/c...-bodybuilders/
    https://www.peta.org/living/food/vegan-bodybuilders/
    https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a...ers-instagram/

Also, vegan athletes:
    https://www.greatveganathletes.com/
    https://www.businessinsider.com/elit...r=US&IR=T&IR=T
    https://nordic.businessinsider.com/v...t-11?r=US&IR=T
    https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...amateur-boxer/

Everyone is free to eat what they want, as long as they're not interfering with me...

I saw there are videos on youtube of ex-vegans and such... I suppose they didn't know what to eat, or it was just a trend for them... As I previously said in another thread, for many veganism is just a trend or a 'cult'...

I'm vegetarian and I feel very good this way. If anything, I won't blame 'not eating meat' for that, that's completely stupid!

There are arguments and counterarguments on both sides... I won't participate in such discussions, I had enough over time... There are doctors who say vegetarian and/or vegan diets are good, and doctors who say the opposite... Personally I think those doctors who say vegetarian diet is not good are either stupid or ignorant... but I don't want to offend anyone here on Skadi, so I'll stop now!
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.