Thread: What Happens To Your Lungs, Brain, Kidneys, Heart, Teeth and Mood When You Drink Diet Soda

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian (Dacia/Hyperborea) & German (Großes Germanien)
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts

What Happens To Your Lungs, Brain, Kidneys, Heart, Teeth and Mood When You Drink Diet Soda

What Happens To Your Lungs, Brain, Kidneys, Heart, Teeth and Mood When You Drink Diet Soda

Diet soda has come under intense scrutiny over the years, and for good reason. It has been found to leave people at risk for weight gain, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease, among other serious consequences.

According to Susan E. Swithers, a professor of psychological sciences and a behavioural neuroscientist: “Public health officials are rightfully concerned about the consequences of consuming sugar-sweetened beverages, such as soft drinks, but these warnings may need to be expanded to advocate limiting the intake of all sweeteners, including no-calorie sweeteners and so-called diet soft drinks. Although it seems like common sense that diet sodas would not be problematic, that doesn’t appear to be the case. Findings from a variety of studies show that routine consumption of diet sodas, even one per day, can be connected to higher likelihood of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and high blood pressure, in addition to contributing to weight gain.”

Not only that, but research has shown that these “zero calorie” beverages interfere with the body’s learning responses, and the truth is, fewer calories doesn’t always mean less weight gain. “Research, including studies from Swithers and colleagues, shows that frequent consumption of high-intensity sweeteners may have the opposite effect by confusing the body’s natural ability to manage calories based on tasting something sweet,” the Purdue release reveals. Swithers’ research is funded by the National Institutes of Health.

Swithers goes on to describe the public misconception about these sweeteners that is leaving us all at risk: “There is a lot of pressure from the public health sector to find solutions to counter the rise of obesity and chronic disease, and there is a lot of money and business at stake for the food industry as it develops and promotes these products. Beverages are becoming political issues as government leaders and politicians seek regulation and taxing to limit their availability and consumption, but most of these measures exclude diet soft drinks because they are perceived as healthy.”

It’s great that she made the industry connection, because the corporatization of science has taken over multiple industries. Dr. Marcia Angell, a physician and longtime Editor-in-Chief of the New England Medical Journal (NEMJ), considered one of the most prestigious peer-reviewed medical journals in the world has said that “it is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine.”

Artificial sweeteners are a big problem. A study titled Sugar and Artificially Sweetened Beverages and the Risks of Incident Stroke and Dementia, A Prospective Cohort Study, was published in the journal Stroke in 2017.

Researchers gathered data from approximately 3,000 adults, and separated them into two categories. In people older than 45 years old, they looked at stroke risk, and for people older than 60, they focused on dementia. Their results showed that drinking diet soda nearly triples your risk of developing stroke or dementia. The study lasted for a decade, and the researchers “observed 97 cases of incident stroke (82) and 81 cases of incident dementia (63 consistent with Alzheimer’s disease)”.

Below is a video that Dr. Axe uploaded to his YouTube channel where Jordan Rubin shares how diet soda destroys the body and how to do a diet soda detox and break the addiction.

Source

Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Víđálfr For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 11:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,222 Posts
    My New Year's Resolution was to ditch fizzy drinks once and for all.

To my surprise, this has gone spectacularly well and I don't even have any urges to relapse.

I'm not sure about all those other places mentioned in the title but my stomach certainly feels much better for it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian (Dacia/Hyperborea) & German (Großes Germanien)
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    I haven't drink such things for years... Maybe for more than 10 years, I think last time I drank soda was somewhere in 2006 or 2007... Because you mentioned the stomach, by that time a guy I knew got gastric ulcers while drinking lots of soda during his exams...

If something can be addictive doesn't really mean it's hard to get rid of... I was a quite heavy smoker for less than one year (by the same time I quit drinking soda), and I stopped smoking without any problems... I was smoking once in a while, maybe once a week or a few times a month, and I don't know for sure when I smoked the last time (maybe 2008?). I was smoking quite strong cigars (these kind) in the last few months, when smoking once in a while... I couldn't even finish the last package of them, I had them for years in my home until I gave them to a friend who was still smoking once in a while...

So I guess it can be the same with soda and other things...

Both my parents were smokers at some point in their lifetimes, and for them was difficult to get rid of the habit. It was easier for my father, but my mom really had a problem with the addiction, I'm not even sure if she totally got rid of the smoking habit already or not... But for me it was piece of cake... it came naturally that I got rid of that bad habit...

It was the same with soda... After hearing that guy's story of getting ulcers from soda I had enough reasons to quit drinking it myself as well. And I stopped drinking any kind of soda. Just too many weird stuff in it. Mineral water and home made tea are much better! The only bubbly drinks that I drink once in a while are natural sparkling mineral water and beer (non-alcoholic and only without any weird additives in it, as there's a trend with such things in beer too lately).
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Víđálfr For This Useful Post:

Munchkin
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Gareth and I drink very little carbonated beverages. These soft drinks can't be beneficial, and too many people try to thrive on them as if they're pure drinking water, which they're definitely not.
    Not all in life is at it appears to be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post: