Thread: European colonizers killed so many Native Americans that it changed the global climate, researchers say

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago @ 12:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

European colonizers killed so many Native Americans that it changed the global climate, researchers say

(CNN) When Europeans arrived in the Americas, they caused so much death and disease that it changed the global climate, a new study finds.

European settlers killed 56 million indigenous people over about 100 years in South, Central and North America, causing large swaths of farmland to be abandoned and reforested, researchers at University College London, or UCL, estimate. The increase in trees and vegetation across an area the size of France resulted in a massive decrease in carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere, according to the study.

Carbon levels changed enough to cool the Earth by 1610, researchers found. Columbus arrived in 1492,

"CO2 and climate had been relatively stable until this point," said UCL Geography Professor Mark Maslin, one of the study's co-authors. "So, this is the first major change we see in the Earth's greenhouse gases."

Before this study, some scientists had argued the temperature change in the 1600s, called the Little Ice Age, was caused only by natural forces.

But by combining archaeological evidence, historical data and analysis of carbon found in Antarctic ice, the UCL researchers showed how the reforestation -- directly caused by the Europeans' arrival -- was a key component of the global chill, they said.

"For once, we've been able to balance all the boxes and realize that the only way the Little Ice Age was so intense is ... because of the genocide of millions of people," Maslin told CNN.

The methodology

Researchers analyzed Antarctic ice, which traps atmospheric gas and can reveal how much carbon dioxide was in the atmosphere centuries ago.

"The ice cores showed that there was a larger dip in CO2 (than usual) in 1610, which was caused by the land and not the oceans," said Alexander Koch, lead author of the study.

A small shift in temperatures -- about a 10th of a degree in the 17th century -- led to colder winters, frosty summers and failing harvests, Koch said.

The implications

The implications of the study go beyond climate science and also contribute to research in geography and history, Maslin said, noting that deaths of indigenous Americans directly contributed to the success of the European economy.

Natural resources and food shipped from the New World helped Europe's population to expand. It also allowed people to stop farming for sustenance and begin working in other industries for spare money.

"The really weird thing is, the depopulation of the Americas may have inadvertently allowed the Europeans to dominate the world," Maslin said. "It also allowed for the Industrial Revolution and for Europeans to continue that domination."
    Source

HUH...HUH...HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!
    — Always outnumbered but never outclassed —

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ward For This Useful Post:

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathendom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    212 Posts
    Ah CNN, that explains why they ignore other factors for the industrialization. Or for that matter improvements in agriculture. Also I know for the Netherlands most of our food imports up until the very least the Golden Century came from trade with countries around the Baltic Sea. I do not know for the UK. But from the wiki-page about the economic history of the UK :

In a period loosely dated from the 1770s to the 1820s, Britain experienced an accelerated process of economic change that transformed a largely agrarian economy into the world's first industrial economy. This phenomenon is known as the "industrial revolution", since the changes were far-reaching and permanent throughout many areas of Britain, especially in the developing cities.[39]

(...)

A free market for imported foodstuffs, the driving factor behind the 1846 repeal of the Corn Laws, reaped long-term benefits for British consumers as world agricultural production increased.[66] At first British agriculture, through its superior productivity, was able to weather and even thrive following the repeal of the Corn Laws, contrary to the dire warnings of the landowners who had warned of immediate agricultural ruin. By the 1870's, the opening up of the Midwestern United States and interior of Canada to cultivation, combined with greater mechanization and lower transportation costs, massively increased world output of grain. It caused a dramatic fall in prices (27s 3d per quarter of wheat in 1894-98, compared to 56s per quarter in the years 1867-71), which lowered the cost of living and enabled Britain to meet the demands of a growing population
    So it appears that before the 1846 Britain had tried to discourage food importation in order to protect their own farmers and landholding gentry. And was only loosened more then two decades after the Industrial Revolution had taken place.

Also I wonder if he really said genocide of millions of people. Oke, the article states the year 1610. If my memory serves me correctly most deaths then among Indians was mostly thanks to diseases that hitchhiked along with the Europeans. For which they had little to no resistance. And from what I have read the consensus among scholars was that any deliberate attempts to spread them are a negligible small amount. So also there either the scientist or the 'journalist' might have made a mistake.

Once again CNN shows why they can no longer be taken serious.
    The sense of honor is of so fine and delicate a nature that
    it is only to be met with in minds which are naturally noble or
    cultivated by good examples and a refined education.
    - Sir Richard Steele

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GroeneWolf View Post
    Ah CNN, that explains why they ignore other factors for the industrialization. Or for that matter improvements in agriculture. Also I know for the Netherlands most of our food imports up until the very least the Golden Century came from trade with countries around the Baltic Sea. I do not know for the UK. But from the wiki-page about the economic history of the UK :

So it appears that before the 1846 Britain had tried to discourage food importation in order to protect their own farmers and landholding gentry. And was only loosened more then two decades after the Industrial Revolution had taken place.

Also I wonder if he really said genocide of millions of people. Oke, the article states the year 1610. If my memory serves me correctly most deaths then among Indians was mostly thanks to diseases that hitchhiked along with the Europeans. For which they had little to no resistance. And from what I have read the consensus among scholars was that any deliberate attempts to spread them are a negligible small amount. So also there either the scientist or the 'journalist' might have made a mistake.

Once again CNN shows why they can no longer be taken serious.
    I take them very serious. They are a serious enemy of our people, and are directly responsible for inspiring anti-white violent crime.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huginn ok Muninn For This Useful Post: