Pisces
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LillyCaterina View Post
    Very well. We are sensitive about matters involving theories that could lead to more medieval prejudice against felines than they already needlessly endure.
    Are cats treated so badly in the US?

Munchkin
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    Are cats treated so badly in the US?
    Yes. Sadly, both canines and felines, along with other vertebrate animals kept as 'pets' (I hate that word.) are often treated as nothing more than expendable objects, commerce, and 'toys for tots' that can be tossed out into the street when tired of. Those profit seekers who operate pet stores, puppy mills, research laboratories, lucrative sporting events, and even so-called 'canned hunts' treat these other domesticated living creatures of God in the most inhumane ways imaginable.

Gareth and I do what we can for stray and feral felines that inhabitant our area. And my cousin and her associates operate a rescue service for abused and abandoned canines. Our humane shelters are overflowing with sick, abused, and abandoned felines and canines.

Just recently a woman was arrested for operating a puppy mill under deplorable conditions. She was charged with cruelty and neglect as well. But many animals, including horses, found on her filthy property were suffering from horrible neglect. Many of these pitiful creatures were either found dead, died later, or had to be euthanized. And all so this greedy witch could make money selling those poor animals she could to idiots who contribute to this insensitive cruelty by patronizing these terrible places that remind me of hell on Earth for animals.

I would like to think that domestic animals and even wildlife are treated much better in European nations. But maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part... Do you think it is just wishful thinking, Hersir?
    Not all in life is at it appears to be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post:

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Hålųyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LillyCaterina View Post
    I would like to think that domestic animals and even wildlife are treated much better in European nations. But maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part... Do you think it is just wishful thinking, Hersir?
    Mostly pets are taken well care of, but there is the odd horror story of course. Some people abandon their cats in summer time when going on holidays, but it's not that common, thankfully.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    Mostly pets are taken well care of, but there is the odd horror story of course. Some people abandon their cats in summer time when going on holidays, but it's not that common, thankfully.
    Really... http://www.esdaw.eu/the-cruel-treatment.html

Norway considers spaying and neutering felines and canines to be a cruel practice, even though these relatively minor surgical procedures performed correctly under anesthesia by qualified personnel IS the most effective method of controlling unwanted breeding of strays and feral populations.

http://sciencenordic.com/should-dogs-be-neutered

I must reiterate that posting unfounded theories about assorted diseases and psychological afflictions that involves transmission from animals to humans can result in undesirable consequences on a forum open to perusal by guests.

If a guest who is on the verge of making the big decision to rescue and adopt an abandoned feline, for example, reads about the 'possibility' that the toxoplasmosis parasite can cause schizophrenia, they might just decide against adopting a feline that needs a good home.

The trouble with "scientific studies" provided by "experts" is their often inconclusive results. But the damage they cause can be worse than the threat to health they're prematurely warning people about.

An article that refutes the validity of this particular 'threat':

"Cat owners can breathe easy: there’s little danger that your beloved tabby will make it more likely for you to develop a mental illness. New research has cleared the name of cats, helping put to rest the debate over whether the creatures are dangerous because they host a common parasite that may play a role in disorders like schizophrenia."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/22/14696978/cat-mental-illness-health-toxoplasma-gondii-parasite-schizophrenia
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.” Robert A. Heinlein

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Minutes Ago @ 01:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid-CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Heathen worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    Norway considers spaying and neutering felines and canines to be a cruel practice, even though these relatively minor surgical procedures performed correctly under anesthesia by qualified personnel IS the most effective method of controlling unwanted breeding of strays and feral populations.
    Most people in Norway neuter their cats, and it's in no way considered a 'cruel' procedure.

I must reiterate that posting unfounded theories about assorted diseases and psychological afflictions that involves transmission from animals to humans can result in undesirable consequences on a forum open to perusal by guests.

If a guest who is on the verge of making the big decision to rescue and adopt an abandoned feline, for example, reads about the 'possibility' that the toxoplasmosis parasite can cause schizophrenia, they might just decide against adopting a feline that needs a good home.
    I'm sorry, but that's tough luck. This is a discussion forum, meant to share thoughts and information, not to serve fuzzy feelings to whomever might drop by. If someone planned on getting a cat, but was discouraged by a single article, then maybe they're not stabile enough to take care of another living creature.

If we were to implement such an attitude towards every subject which possibly might negatively affect someone, somewhere, we'd quickly run out of subjects.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    Most people in Norway neuter their cats, and it's in no way considered a 'cruel' procedure.

I'm sorry, but that's tough luck. This is a discussion forum, meant to share thoughts and information, not to serve fuzzy feelings to whomever might drop by. If someone planned on getting a cat, but was discouraged by a single article, then maybe they're not stabile enough to take care of another living creature.
    I'm sorry you feel that way about how guests react to this particular topic.

Our only concern is animal welfare. Felines and canines obviously can't defend themselves, so we have to. And this we will continue to do.

Discussing this topic is exactly what we're doing. I'm just providing more positive information about this controversial issue as a form of damage control.

If we were to implement such an attitude towards every subject which possibly might negatively affect someone, somewhere, we'd quickly run out of subjects.
    I never suggested we do that.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.” Robert A. Heinlein

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Minutes Ago @ 01:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid-CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Heathen worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    I'm sorry you feel that way about how guests react to this particular topic.
    Frankly, I think what we say about parasites potentially spreading from cats is of the least concern to any random passerby reading this forum.

Our only concern is animal welfare. Felines and canines obviously can't defend themselves, so we have to. And this we will continue to do.
    Don't get me wrong, I love animals, and I hold my own cat in higher regard than a lot of people I know. I also know a lot of other people owning cats and having grown up around them. None displaying any signs of schizophrenia or other mental illnesses. I believe most people see this as well, and don't jump to extreme, paranoid conclusions, whatever the statistical blips the science might indicate.

Discussing this topic is exactly what we're doing. I'm just providing more positive information about this controversial issue as a form of damage control.
    That's great. I just got to impression you wanted the discussion to be swept under the rug altogether. Might have misinterpreted you there.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts
    Oh, no!.. This human study could end bad. I'm going to inform my buddy down at the research lab about it.

Yep!.. It would appear this matter should have been investigated more thoroughly... Felines definitely do transmit something to humans... It's called love.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12