Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,393 Posts

Impacted Wisdom Teeth

Impacted Wisdom Teeth

Impacted wisdom teeth (or impacted third molars) are wisdom teeth which do not fully erupt into the mouth because of blockage from other teeth (impaction). If the wisdom teeth do not have an open connection to the mouth, pain can develop with the onset of inflammation or infection or damage to the adjacent teeth. Common accepted hypothesis that determine eruption is the angle at which the 3rd molars sit, the stage of root formation of 3rd molars at the point of screening, depth of impaction, how much room there is for eruption as well as the size of the 3rd molar.

Wisdom teeth likely become impacted because of a mismatch between the size of the teeth and the size of the jaw. Impacted wisdom teeth are classified by their direction of impaction, their depth compared to the biting surface of adjacent teeth and the amount of the tooth's crown that extends through gum tissue or bone. Impacted wisdom teeth can also be classified by the presence or absence of symptoms and disease. Screening for the presence of wisdom teeth often begins in late adolescence when a partially developed tooth may become impacted. Screening commonly includes clinical examination as well as x-rays such as panoramic radiographs.

Infection resulting from impacted wisdom teeth can be initially treated with antibiotics, local debridement or soft tissue surgery of the gum tissue overlying the tooth. Over time, most of these treatments tend to fail and patients develop recurrent symptoms. The most common treatment is wisdom tooth removal. The risks of wisdom tooth removal are roughly proportional to the difficulty of the extraction. Sometimes, when there is a high risk to the inferior alveolar nerve, only the crown of the tooth will be removed (intentionally leaving the roots) in a procedure called a coronectomy. The long-term risk of coronectomy is that chronic infection can persist from the tooth remnants. The prognosis for the second molar is good following the wisdom teeth removal with the likelihood of bone loss after surgery increased when the extractions are completed in people who are 25 years of age or older. A treatment controversy exists about the need for and timing of the removal of disease-free impacted wisdom teeth that are not causing problems. Supporters of early removal cite the increasing risks for extraction over time and the costs of monitoring the wisdom teeth that are not removed. Supporters for retaining wisdom teeth cite the risk and cost of unnecessary surgery.

The condition affects up to 72% of the Swedish population. Wisdom teeth have been described in the ancient texts of Plato and Hippocrates, the works of Darwin and in the earliest manuals of operative dentistry. It was the meeting of sterile technique, radiology and anaesthesia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that allowed the more routine management of impacted wisdom teeth.

Full article here

I've had one of these for several years and I think it may finally have to come out

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian & German (Moldova, Transylvania, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óšins męr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts
    I'm one of those lucky people who lack wisdom teeth... I was asking my stomatologist about wisdom teeth after having a panoramic radiography and she said I lack the roots for developing the third molars. She said that's a sign of evolution and she wasn't surprised at all that I lack those...

Why do some people lack wisdom teeth?

Not everyone has wisdom teeth. In fact, a study shows that up to 35% of people have missing wisdom teeth. There are three main reasons why wisdom teeth may be lacking inside the mouth:

• They are present but still haven’t erupted yet. Wisdom teeth may never erupt if they are impacted (not enough space for them to grow) and may remain dormant in the jaw bone for many years.

• The lack of wisdom teeth related to genes. A study recently carried out in Princeton University shows evolution has a large role to play in the absence of wisdom teeth. The study shows that the expanding brain size over hundreds and thousands of years, meant that the head was no longer large enough to accommodate a larger brain and an extra set of teeth, therefore a gradual shift in jaw engineering doesn’t allow a third molar to form correctly as they are no longer needed because we mainly rely on our first and second molars to do the chewing, so the lack of the third set won’t prevent you from eating without difficulty.

Another study carried out by the University of Pennsylvania discovered a chromosomal mutation called MYH16. This mutation is explained as an evolutionary trait which has allowed modern humans to grow larger brains and also means humans have less need of and room for wisdom teeth.

Opponents of evolution place greater weight on the dietary shift that has occurred in humans and dental hygiene in lessening our reliance on wisdom teeth, discounting the role of our evolving jaws and brains. However, a simple comparison of ancient bones placing a prehistoric jaw and a modern jaw next to each other, the space is visibly smaller.

• Your wisdom teeth have already been removed.

Should people be worried if they don’t have wisdom teeth?

Not at all. The lack of wisdom teeth is common these days and in fact wisdom teeth are the most commonly missing teeth in the mouth. You may find that either one of your parents or both or even your grandparents may have been missing these teeth. The lack of wisdom teeth does not hinder our efficiency in chewing and in fact it is a blessing as this means you are less likely to have problems that need further treatment.

Source
    Indeed I consider it to be a blessing... I remember when I was a child and my mom had problems with her wisdom teeth growing and had to remove them...
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vķšįlfr For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Monday, July 15th, 2019 @ 12:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Y-DNA
    R1b-S21
    mtDNA
    U5a2b
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Logistics
    Politics
    Independent
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I know a lot of people who were put under a general anesthetic for wisdom tooth extraction. When I was 18 my dentist pulled all 4 of mine using just a local. I didn't think it was that bad.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saxon X For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    16 Minutes Ago @ 07:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    636 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon X View Post
    I know a lot of people who were put under a general anesthetic for wisdom tooth extraction. When I was 18 my dentist pulled all 4 of mine using just a local. I didn't think it was that bad.
    I believe the level of difficulty is very individual. How the teeth are positioned, and how the roots are shaped makes a difference. I got one of my wisdom teeth extracted last year, and it took one and a half hour to get it out, with only a five minute break in the middle of the operation. Got plenty of local anesthetics, but I think I'd opt for the general anesthesia next time around.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    I had all my wisdom teeth removed. They were partially impacted and one of them had a severe abcess, to the bone.

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    I had the upper right molar removed about nine years ago because it was causing me some pain. The procedure went okay, but I got nervous looking at the extraction forceps before the procedure began.
    'Well, what are you?" said the Pigeon. "I can see you're trying to invent something!" "I-I'm a little girl," said Alice, rather doubtfully. She found herself at last in a beautiful garden, among the bright flower-beds and the cool fountains.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Hålųyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    319 Posts
    I am 31 and have not had any wisdom teeth appear, my older sister got them in her 30's.

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,393 Posts
    My appointment is on Wednesday morning at 10:15.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this but it'll be good to get it sorted at last!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonPagan View Post
    My appointment is on Wednesday morning at 10:15.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this but it'll be good to get it sorted at last!
    I will be thinking of you then, SaxonPagan, and I'm sure the procedure will go smoothly.
    'Well, what are you?" said the Pigeon. "I can see you're trying to invent something!" "I-I'm a little girl," said Alice, rather doubtfully. She found herself at last in a beautiful garden, among the bright flower-beds and the cool fountains.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,393 Posts
    Thanks, Alice!

It wasn't exactly straightforward because the tooth was very close to a nerve and fused into the jawbone, according to the x-rays the dentist showed me. He said I should really have it done at the hospital under general anaesthetic but he was prepared to 'give it a try', so I just trusted to luck

Anyway, he managed to yank it out somehow but the last 9 days have been extremely uncomfortable, I can tell you!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast