Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MyHeritage and other DNA testing: which is the Best?

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Großes Germanien, Dacia (Hyperborea)
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonPagan View Post
    Hahaha!!! Paying Jews to tell you about your ancestry ... what could possibly go wrong?
    Well, many people on this forum already did that... so that's why I was asking...

At least my thread will shed some light and awareness, don't you think so?

I also did research on my genealogy, several years ago, and with my German side I was able to find information as far as 18th century... However, on my Daco-Romanian side I couldn't go that far, the official records from Romania are not so easily accessible... I know the information I could find out from my family though...

I would be curious if I could find out more... But personally I don't feel like I can really trust these DNA tests... As I said in the previous post, one reason is they are too general in their assumptions (Scandinavia only one ethnicity, really? And France and Germany together?!?)... And as you said, I can look in the mirror too and find out... Or whatever, trust what I already know...

I don't think they have enough DNA data though, nor enough knowledge about such things... and they are free to manipulate the available data how they want to and use it for whatever purposes they want to... That's another thing I'm concerned about...

I think I'd rather just pull countries out of a hat!
    Brilliant idea! Maybe I could be more accurate that way?

Well, I wish I could dig further in time, more than the 18th century, to see where my ancestors lived, and so on... Germans from Buchenland came from other parts of the Germanic world, of course, they were settlers in Bucheland brought by the Austrian empire... From that part of my ancestry they migrated from as far as Mecklenburg (but I don't have any official information before that)...

However, I have my own issues regarding my genealogy which I would like to figure out... But hopefully I'll find better ways than DNA tests like that...

Any ideas if and how I could dig in more for my genealogy in Mecklenburg, for example? About the part from Romania I can ask elsewhere, of course... But as far as it concerns the Germanic regions, any ideas?
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 04:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Jews have openly admitted to sabotaging white peoples dna test results.
    All your doing is giving your dna to jews.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 11:14 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Mad scientist
    Politics
    Politically incorrect
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Víđálfr View Post
    Any ideas if and how I could dig in more for my genealogy in Mecklenburg, for example? About the part from Romania I can ask elsewhere, of course... But as far as it concerns the Germanic regions, any ideas?

You can always hire a genealogist. It will cost you a lot more than the DNA test but you'll get proper results.
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.
    Open, locks,
    Whoever knocks.

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mööv View Post
    It all comes to this:
    Would you post your intimate details all over the internet?
    No? Why the hell would you give your most personal information to someone, and pay for it too?
    Well, these are enough reasons NOT to do any DNA testing like that...

I can get 90% of my ancestry just by looking in the mirror (..and I'm not too fussed about the rest).
    How accurate can that be?

I mean: in my case I obviously look very similar to the German side of my family. But if I am to rely on genealogy only, without taking 'the looks' into account, that's less than 50% in my heritage... According to looks is more than 50%... So which one should I consider?

If anyone asks me how much percentage I am German or Germanic, I have no idea what to answer them... Personally, in my case, I feel like the resemblance (physical and not only) and the culture I inherited matters more than what's in the genealogical line...

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mööv View Post
    You can always hire a genealogist. It will cost you a lot more than the DNA test but you'll get proper results.
    Where and how can I find a good genealogist? Sounds like an interesting thing to do, I'd rather do that myself if I could, would be much more interesting...

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 05:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of God
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    "Where and how can I find a good genealogist? Sounds like an interesting thing to do, I'd rather do that myself if I could, would be much more interesting..."

I used them occasionally when I got stuck with my own research. People here in the States swear that they have the largest records and are reliable. Any local church in your area?
    http://www.searchforancestors.com/mormongenealogy.html

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schwab View Post
    I used them occasionally when I got stuck with my own research. People here in the States swear that they have the largest records and are reliable.Any local church in your area?
    http://www.searchforancestors.com/mormongenealogy.html
    Well, it seems they don't have any databases for Romania in there... But they have Germany, I may take a look later... Thank you!

However, for German side I got access to all official data I could had access to at that moment... Not sure if I can find anything more than that though...

For Daco-Romanian side... Yes, there are churches in Romania, of course, and they should have data there... I was satisfied enough though, at that time, with what I could find out myself from my family members... If I have to go to churches or other places like that for data, they are not so open to give information, and also I should travel a lot... What I know from my Daco-Romanian grandfather is well enough for me to know, he told me a lot of family history, I know from him they were all Daco-Romanians from the same mountain area for generations. Would be nice to go to the local church there and find out more, I really love it there, but it's not easy to go there, it's quite far and not accessible. I'm happy with what I know from grandfather, that's fine for me...

From my mother's side I don't know too much though... and for that would be a mess to try to find out more... I don't know if I can trust official data... Name doesn't say too much of one's origin. It can say in many cases, but not always. What my mom told me, well, I don't know how much I can trust that. She didn't know for sure either and also didn't care... Doing research on that would be a total mess... and I don't think I could find good genealogists in that part of Romania... The official records are not easy to access (if they are open to access at all)... However, I only suppose they were all Daco-Romanians from that side... I am only concerned about ethnicity and if there are or not any Slavs further back in time (some Slavic influences too in that part of the country)... But for Slavic names, even though I would find such a name in genealogy, it doesn't guarantee for anything... Due to different political regimes they changed names like that, from Romanian to Slavic and from Slavic to Romanian... However, the recent names were all Daco-Romanian names...

Even the German name in my genealogy was recently changed to sound more Romanian... but it's close enough in my family line so I was able to find out the original name. During one's lifetime the same German surname was changed/ spelled differently in the official records a few times... And at some point my great-grandfathers had different surnames in their official identity certificates, just because of the spelling... Sounds weird, but that is how things were done in Romania!

I really doubt a DNA test would help with that, I don't think they have enough DNA data from that part of the world... Romania is like a black hole, it's a mystery... It's mainly just misinformation all around about Romania... Romanian official history is also full of lies, so what can I trust?

However, if I look in the mirror... I am mostly like the German side of my family (everyone in my family says that). Should that be enough? For a long while it was enough for me to know that... but sometimes I would like to know more...

Recently someone told me the Germans from the East had a lot of Slavic influences as well, so that assumed I may have Slavic ancestry too... Hmmm... Things are getting more and more complicated...

How much can we really know about our ancestors and our ancestry?

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 10:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Völkisch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Víđálfr View Post
    Well, many people on this forum already did that... so that's why I was asking...

At least my thread will shed some light and awareness, don't you think so?

I also did research on my genealogy, several years ago, and with my German side I was able to find information as far as 18th century... However, on my Daco-Romanian side I couldn't go that far, the official records from Romania are not so easily accessible... I know the information I could find out from my family though...
    Víđálfr you can still do the DNA test, but excluding 23andMe from the options. That company is in hand of some murky people.

And what is a Daco-Romanian?

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk und Rasse View Post
    And what is a Daco-Romanian?
    A Daco-Romanian is basically a Romanian, it is not another distinct ethnicity (at least not officially). However, there are Aromanians, Megleno-Romanians, Istro-Romanians who speak languages close to Romanian, that can be considered Romanian dialects. Some people use the term Daco-Romanian to refer to Romanians from Romania. It's a historic thing, because where is today's Romania there was Ancient Dacia. Official history says that the Romanian people and the Romanian language were 'born' from the mix between the Dacians/Geto-Dacians from Dacia and the Roman conquerors, but that's a historic nonsense and a big lie. When they chose the name 'Romania' they referred to that theory of mixing with the Romans, so it's supposed to reflect that. I don't believe such a lie, so I prefer to use Daco-Romanians or even Dacians instead of Romanians. Here is a thread about who the Dacians or the Geto-Dacians really were: The Getians or the Dacians, the origin of Scandinavians and also the oldest European civilization that had writing.

And another one on the same topic, 'Zamolxis, the first lawgiver of the Getae' by Carolus Lundius.

Wikipedia (and not only) is horrible with information on such things. If you click on 'Daco-Romanians' in the article about Istro-Romanians it redirects to Romanians. But they have a separate page for 'Moldovans', which are the same people as (Daco-)Romanians and speak the same language. Moldavian language is just an invention and a nonsense promoted by the Soviet propaganda, who took over Bessarabia and made a different country out of it, which is Moldova, not to mention the parts of Bessarabia that are in nowadays Ukraine. That's nonsense! Moldavian language and Moldavian people are just an invention! They are Daco-Romanians (Romanians) and the language is the same as Daco-Romanian (Romanian) language, there are just slight differences specific to different parts of the country (Romania), it is not even a dialect (too little difference to be considered a dialect)... And quite similar propaganda was spread to take over Transylvania by the Hungarians, to consider that no one was living there before and other nonsense like that (that goes hand in hand with the nonsense about the ethnogenesis of the Romanians from Dacians and Romans).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Víđálfr For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 03:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    Well, Víđálfr, the 'mirror' method works for me but I accept that some genealogies are a bit more complex.

DNA testing is a quite recent phenomenon and has really never interested me.

I've never to this day been asked how English I am.

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    I've never to this day been asked how English I am.
    Well, good for you then!

I guess I just found the answer to my question. There is an article and a thread opened by Ahnenerbe in September 2016, The Jews Behind 23andMe and Family Tree DNA.

Think twice before giving Jews your money and DNA as a means of finding out more about yourself.
    Well, I guess that's enough...

Thank you to all of you who bothered to give me answers and advises in this thread!

So, I don't think I'm going to do any DNA testing at all... no matter which is the company. It's a bit (or more) tricky... That's my conclusion.

I guess all parts of my genealogy are good, otherwise I wouldn't be what I am now. To what precise percentage is what, I guess that's less important... However, it's impossible to know it for sure...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12