Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Consider to Be Your Own People or Folk?

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 12:49 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    You have the right attitude, be yourself, think for yourself. Being so far away from your place and not knowing all the lifestyles up there, I would consider you as Scandinavian.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to schwab For This Useful Post:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian & German (Moldova, Transylvania, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schwab View Post
    You are an interesting person stimulating thoughts.
    My wife's sister is married to a German National refusing to become a citizen here is the US. His father was born of German parents in Romania. The question would be are the grand parents german or Romanian? That I cannot answer.
    In your case, chances are that you are of Germanic descent.
    Did you dig deep in your ancestry?
    Thank you!

As I was born and lived many years in Romania too, I also know or heard of many people with at least some German ancestry, and some of them don't consider themselves Germanic at all, or some of them integrated, still considering themselves to be German. There are many German groups in Romania, there are some threads about those here on Skadi in the section Germanic Diaspora, Enclaves & Influences, for example the thread Germans in Romania. According to the map I posted in that thread there are still Germans all over Romania. Unlike some people from the Magyar minority who don't want to learn or speak Romanian, the Germans learned Romanian too and they speak Romanian language, so they integrated very well. Even the actual president of Romania, Klaus Iohannis, is German.

I'm curious, from which part of Romania is his father? There are different German groups, with different history and origins.

About my ancestry... I have German ancestry from Buchenland (Bukowina). More information about the Germans from that part of Romania can be found in the thread Buchenlanddeutsche (Bukowina Germans).

As deep as I could dig in my German ancestry, besides Buchenland, I also found Böhmen and as far in time I could trace it by written evidence I went back to Mecklenburg, somewhere around 1600. But further than that I cannot know for sure.

And about my other part of my ancestry, I consider it to be Dacian (Geto-Dacian), or Daco-Romanian, and, according to many historians (see the threads The Getians or the Dacians, the origin of Scandinavians and also the oldest European civilization that had writing and 'Zamolxis, the first lawgiver of the Getae' by Carolus Lundius), back in ancient times Hyperborea, or Ancient Dacia, is where all the Germanics came from. The Danes and the Dutch and the Deutch are the same people with the Daci (Dacians), so they were and they are all Germanics.

Of course over the years the territories of ancient Dacia, which was the biggest, as far as we know by historical evidence, during the times of King Burebista, were under different occupations and part of different countries, but most of them are in the actual Romania (and also further in the East, Republic of Moldova, and even going to nowadays Ukraine, where there still are people who speak Daco-Romanian around Odessa, for example). However, my Daco-Romanian ancestry, as far as I could trace it, comes from those parts of both Ancient Dacia and present day Romania which were never under foreign occupation, excepting Siebenbürgen (Transylvania) which was under the Austro-Hungarian crown (but my ancestry there is from the mountains, so it's very likely for the linage to have been preserved for centuries, and they also resisted the forced assimilation by the Hungarian authorities who wanted to turn everyone into Magyars, they stand against the forced assimilation and kept their Daco-Romanian names, language and traditions).

So, over all, my ancestry is German and Dacian/Geto-Dacian/Daco-Romanian, or in other words Germanic or Daco-Germanic.

A little more about Romania now... The Daco-Romanian territories had many foreign influences over the time, so I know people from Romania who have Russian or Greek ancestry too, not only German. And, of course, everyone knows about the Gypsies, there are a few Romanians who have Gypsy ancestry too, unfortunately, and I don't relate at all with such people. Some other Romanians unfortunately behave like Gypsies, even though they are not ethnically Gypsies, they listen to Gypsy or Gypsy influenced 'music' and do other Gypsy things, so they are more Gypsies than Romanians, by culture, and also a shame to the Daco-Romanian heritage and to what the Dacians were in the ancient times, and in my humble opinion they don't deserve to be called Romanians anymore. Traditional Gypsy communities don't mix outside their own, but some of the Gypsies were assimilated (especially during the communist era), and one can tell by the names in someone's ancestry, or by other proofs like that, if someone has Gypsy ancestry or not. So, with people from Romania it's difficult to say in general what ancestry they have or what they are, they all should be considered in specific regional groups (and with the more isolated villages, especially from the mountains, it's much easier) or individually.

As I was often told I am Nordic both in appearance and attitude, when I told people I have German ancestry it all made more sense to them. I didn't learn German as a native language, I only started later in life to learn it, and it all came very easy to me, due to my ancestry. I was and I still am able to read fluently in German quite easily, and it's the same for my father, who also doesn't speak German (but he speaks English). I stopped learning German for a while, as I focused on other things, but it's in my future plans to continue learning it. I forgot a lot of things and a lot of words, but reading German fluently was always easy both for me and for my father, unlike with any other language. When I started to learn German my teacher was really impressed by how fast I was progressing in reading German fluently and when I told him about my German ancestry he was amazed.
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Víđálfr For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schwab View Post
    You have the right attitude, be yourself, think for yourself. Being so far away from your place and not knowing all the lifestyles up there, I would consider you as Scandinavian.
    Thanx. I'm bit hard-head outspoken girl as some might have noticed here. LOL. Good thing is that I have someway always been myself/kept my own head (not been much influenced by others). I did't try to smoke then many started that, I did't drink then many tested alcohol, I was't late outside (with boys) as many started that. My youth/teenage years went mainly at school and trainings (sport). And that's what I wanted. I don't think I missed anything important.

Culture is ''just'' a culture (a learned thing), and my Finnish Swedish dialect is even much less ''matter''. Yes, I'm looking for my man among of Scandinavians/Scandinavians background people. Genes are in the end the most important thing if we think our future generations (and not only ourselves).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    "I'm curious, from which part of Romania is his father? There are different German groups, with different history and origins."

I sure learned a lot today from you today.....

I really don't know where his father came from in Romania, all I know he came from close to the "border". I'll ask him next time I see him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to schwab For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    "....I'm looking for my man among of Scandinavians/Scandinavians background people. Genes are in the end the most important thing if we think our future generations (and not only ourselves).

By all means, stay within your background, age difference should not be more that 5 years. The husband should also be a good financial provider with a good education.
    Being "hard headed" is a good thing.
    Your parents hopefully are proud the way you grew up.
    My best wishes!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to schwab For This Useful Post:

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Hĺlřyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    312 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Culture is ''just'' a culture (a learned thing)
    I don't think culture is "just" a learned thing. There is external influences, but the genetics of the people living there helps to shape the culture which they live in.
    Some interesting reads:

Genes Affect Culture; Culture Affects Genes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_inheritance_theory
    https://academic.oup.com/scan/article/5/2-3/203/1664339
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014...-own-evolution

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian & German (Moldova, Transylvania, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts
    Hersir, who do you consider to be your own people or your own folk?

Maybe it's about time to answer the main question of the thread myself too, more precisely...

Due to my ancestry, I consider all Germanics to be my own people (including Daco-Romanians too, as I mentioned in one of the posts above)... As for the folk, here it's more complicated: since I have mixed ancestry I don't feel like I belong to only one folk... I feel like I belong to the Daco-Romanian folk, since I grew up in Romania, but I also feel like being part of the Germanics, and I consider Germans, more specifically, to be my own people too... so it's hard to say... When we refer to 'people' we can refer to a more general group, but when referring to folks, here it's more specific, and the connection to the land is also important... I didn't live in Germany to say I feel part of the German folk, or in Austria to feel part of the Austrian folk... but I consider Germans to be my own people, even though I didn't grow up neither in Germany nor in Austria... But I believe one can become part of a folk later in life too, based on one's ancestry, of course, if one has the proper ancestry for that. In these regards, I already feel a strong connection to the Norwegian folk, since I lived in Norway for a while already and I have Germanic ancestry, and it feels easy for me to connect to the soul of the Norwegian folk, much easier than with the ones of German or Austrian folks... And I find the soul of the Norwegian folk to have much more in common with the soul of the Daco-Romanian folk, more than the Austrian or German ones have in common with the Daco-Romanian one... Well, here I might be subjective, and for sure I am... it's based on how I feel connected to each of them...

North America unfortunately doesn't have any folks (maybe only the native Americans, who lived there before, on those lands?)... In my humble opinion, Germanic folks are only in Europe, in the fatherland or motherland of the original nations... North America is a mix of different peoples originally belonging to different folks, so there one cannot normally say that they belong to one folk, excepting the case when they connect to their original folk in Europe... The Folk is connected to the land where one's ancestors lived... the Folk has roots deep in history, for at least hundreds of years... and America is too multicultural for that... However, if people there still feel like they belong to their own folks to which they would belong if they were still living in Europe, that's great!

Personally, as I have mixed ancestry, I don't feel like I belong to one folk only... it's complicated... If I would say I only belong to the Daco-Romanian folk, because I grew up in Romania, I feel that it wouldn't be fair for my German ancestry... In Romania I also felt German and I will always feel German, because I am German too...
    So for me belonging to a larger group, the one of Germanics, or let's say Daco-Germanics, makes for a more proper identity.

However, these things are open to debate... for me the specific folk is important too... for others other aspects may be more important...

And of course, culture is part of the folk too... just like the genetic background is, and also the land where one's ancestors lived. Over time foreign people are assimilated into it too, if they are in small groups and not too different from the original folk... But if I look to today's Sweden, for example, or Germany, I am really worried... At this rate it means the death of these folks... If the original people become minority in the land of their ancestors, that's not good at all. And this is happening now to all European folks, and especially to the Western and Nordic ones... If Europe will become like North America, that's not good...
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Víđálfr For This Useful Post:

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    I have since come to greatly cherish the idea that there are 'different levels of identity': The regional level, the national level, the meta-ethnic level. This Dreiklang can exist alongside each other without contradiction, and allows for different issues needing to be tackled at different levels, different manifestation of organic culture happening at different levels complementarily. You shouldn't be 'Bavarian, not German', neither should you be 'just German, not much Bavarian'.

Therefore someone indeed can be Bavarian, German and Germanic without there being any contradiction to each other. Additionally there might be an additional, Continental level, for the real 'big picture' question in terms of issue-wise matters - and that we should adopt a form of mutual respect towards other meta-ethnicities on our continent for the most part, cherishing their parallel manifestations of culture but maintaining a level of emotional and effective distance in accepting their fundamental differences.

As far as 'people/folk' is concerned my bracket is complete at the 'Kulturraum' point, though I will work together with people who set themselves a pan-European bracket, even though it isn't the type of arrangement I prefer, since I see inter-European co-operation beyond our own meta-ethnicity as more of a "working basis" than an actual feasibility for a 'folk definition' in the long run, this type of "White is right" sentiment being too much of a 'colonial reality' IMHO for it to be a desirable reality in Europe.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sigurd For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I have since come to greatly cherish the idea that there are 'different levels of identity': The regional level, the national level, the meta-ethnic level. This Dreiklang can exist alongside each other without contradiction, and allows for different issues needing to be tackled at different levels, different manifestation of organic culture happening at different levels complementarily. You shouldn't be 'Bavarian, not German', neither should you be 'just German, not much Bavarian'.

Therefore someone indeed can be Bavarian, German and Germanic without there being any contradiction to each other. Additionally there might be an additional, Continental level, for the real 'big picture' question in terms of issue-wise matters - and that we should adopt a form of mutual respect towards other meta-ethnicities on our continent for the most part, cherishing their parallel manifestations of culture but maintaining a level of distance in accepting their fundamental differences.

As far as 'people/folk' is concerned my bracket is complete at the 'Kulturraum' point, though I will work together with people who set themselves a pan-European bracket, even though it isn't the type of arrangement I prefer, since I see inter-European co-operation beyond our own meta-ethnicity as more of a "working basis" than an actual feasibility for a 'folk definition' in the long run, this type of "White is right" sentiment being too much of a 'colonial reality' IMHO for it to be a desirable reality in Europe.
    Yes, I agree. Human identity is very complex with multiples layers that sometimes overlap. What does complicate things is when people from different nationalities intermarry. This causes confusion and in my case a lack of acceptance and so I have come to abandon any sense of 'national' identity and embrace a larger meta-ethnicity. These days like Savitri Devi who also had mixed ancestry I call myself an 'Indo-European'.
    We also need to recognise that the concept of 'national' identity is a fairly recent phenomena as nations were built from tribal confederations which in turn were built from tribes which in turn were built from clans. This building up to larger and larger configurations has led to the globalism of today. I believe that we can reverse this process by accepting the inevitable dissolution of nation States (which in themselves are oppressive) and return to a tribal model. When human society breaks down eventually this will become inevitable.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Hĺlřyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    312 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Víđálfr View Post
    Hersir, who do you consider to be your own people or your own folk?

(Ethnic) Norwegians are my people.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast