Thread: New research says intelligent people are messy, stay up late, and curse a lot

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago @ 12:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts

New research says intelligent people are messy, stay up late, and curse a lot

Intuitively, whenever you hear someone use profanities, blurt out obscene phrases, mix in a lot of curse words or swear a lot in their speech, and use slang more often than the neutral or “normal” words, you would think that either they have a very limited vocabulary or just do not have the level of intelligence to carry on a proper conversation without mingling their sentences with an expletive or two.

That was what I thought although admittedly, a person’s use of slang or colloquial words should logically have no correlation with their intelligence since it is possible that people who were brought up in an environment surrounded by peers often using that kind of language could be a genius. It is just that they were exposed to language which would probably sound cooler to them as opposed to their euphemistic counterparts or “wholesome” words in general.

However, in a recent study conducted by psychologists Kristin L. Jay, an associate professor at Marist College, and Timothy B. Jay, a professor emeritus at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts and author of the book, The Psychology of Language, they found that individuals who have a high fluency in using “taboo words” generally have a high fluency in all other categories of speech.

Their hypothesis was that it didn’t matter what kind of words one used, rather if someone is fluent in one type of speech, then that would generally translate to fluency in speech, whether it be neutral, formal, or otherwise, casual types of words. In other words, they actually do have a wide vocabulary. Furthermore, taboo expressives and general pejoratives had a higher generation rate than slurs – discriminatory and derogatory insults – which consisted the periphery of the overall lexicon size.

As written on their paper, “A voluminous taboo lexicon may better be considered an indicator of healthy verbal abilities rather than a cover for their deficiencies.

“People who use taboo words understand their general expressive content as well as nuanced distinctions that must be drawn out to use slurs appropriately. The ability to make nuanced distinctions indicates the presence of more rather than less linguistic knowledge, as implied by the POV (Poverty of Vocabulary) view.”

In terms of personality, they found that people who have a high taboo fluency also scored high in the traits of neuroticism and openness which could potentially signify that these people are easily agitated or would constantly find themselves in a negative or anxious emotional state which might be the reason why they tend to use pejoratives as a way of releasing the tension that has built up inside them. The quality of openness would actually suggest that their minds work in unconventional ways to find innovative or creative approaches in dealing with and looking at various subject matters, problems, and issues.

Lastly, they concluded that a person’s ability to generate taboo language had no correlation or was not a sign that they had a limited or lacking vocabulary. The study merely tries to point out that these people only have a tendency to utter expletives or profanities as a more forceful way of expressing their emotions and opinions. It has no bearing on their fluency or general intelligence whatsoever.

Meanwhile, other qualities that intelligent people usually exhibit include staying up late or being a night owl. Another study suggested that nocturnal people could possibly have a higher general intelligence than those who would often sleep earlier. The basis for this insight relies in ethnographic studies and research in activities done by our ancestors. Generally, our ancestors would have dinner slightly after dusk and then go to sleep. In the morning, they would wake up a little before dawn, at around 6 AM.

Other societies that participate in night activities usually only involve singing, joking, and other socializing activities huddled around the fire until they drift off to sleep. There have been no other records of sustained nighttime activities in traditional societies therefore, it would be safe to assume that being more active at night would be an evolutionary trait.

In order to validate the hypothesis, a survey was conducted from a large representative sample of American teenagers and young adults. From the results, it can be inferred that children who have higher IQs tend to become more nocturnal in their adulthood than those with lower IQs. It has been observed that individuals with higher intelligence slept later on weekdays and weekends, and woke up later on weekdays.

One last trait or habit that could indicate that you are a highly intelligent individual is the fact that you have a messy desk. This could suggest that you have space or room to induce out-of-the-box creative thinking and to generate spontaneous, innovative ideas.

This study from the University of Minnesota states that people who are less concerned with organization of their things or the orderliness of their schedule have more time and space in their brains to think about more important things.

Psychological scientist Kathleen Vohs concludes: “Disorderly environments seem to inspire breaking free of tradition, which can produce fresh insights. Orderly environments, in contrast, encourage convention and playing it safe.”

Now, these studies do not mean to say that people who have a wholesome speech, sleep earlier, and tidy their workstations aren’t intelligent. It only suggests that people with a high IQ tend to exhibit these behaviors perhaps as an expression of their personality.

This also doesn’t mean that if you curse more, sleep late more, or maintain a messier working environment that you would become more intelligent. It’s not a backward correlation. What matters is that you do what works for you.
    Bigperspectives.com
    “Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no-one is too poor to buy.” - C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chlodovech For This Useful Post:

Munchkin
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts
    Well, I guess there is hope for this dumbass broad after all.

I cuss, drink, enjoy wild parties and wilder sex. And I absolutely refuse to take shit off any man.

But I still love my hubby, kitties, our home, and the Good Lord.
    Not all in life is at it appears to be.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LillyCaterina View Post

I cuss, drink, enjoy wild parties and wilder sex. And I absolutely refuse to take shit off any man.

Yeah. You and I were meant to be together, little lady. Two dreadful Americans enjoying the forbidden fruit of dreadful Capitalism while worshiping the one true God.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago @ 08:02 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Meat is Meat , and Spirit is Spirit ...
    Something said by the Gospels .
    Mk 10:18 What do you call me a good master, no-one is good .

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LillyCaterina View Post

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (I Timothy 2:12, AV)

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." (Proverbs 20:1, AV)

"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." (Colossians 3:8, AV)

Yeah. You and I were meant to be together, little lady. Two dreadful Americans enjoying the forbidden fruit of dreadful Capitalism while worshiping the one true God.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." (Matthew 6:4, AV)

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." (1 Timothy 6:10, AV)

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" (Mark 8:36, AV)

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuotans Krieger View Post
    "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (I Timothy 2:12, AV)

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." (Proverbs 20:1, AV)

"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." (Colossians 3:8, AV)

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." (Matthew 6:4, AV)

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." (1 Timothy 6:10, AV)

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" (Mark 8:36, AV)
    Good grief, Krieger! Don't you even have a sense of humor?

Have you been appointed the moral conscience here at Skadi, or are you just volunteering your services.

For someone who professes to have abandoned the Good Lord, you promote conveniently selected Biblical passages to suit your purpose just like a true evangelical preacher... But then, so does the fallen one.

After what Lilly has experienced in the past involving men, I'm surprised she even married me. But I'm certainly glad she did. And when she get's uppity with me at times, I just calmly take it on the chin, because that's what real men do.

BTW, Scripture advises that husbands and wives are to keep each other satisfied in all ways to prevent drifting into the arms of temptation.

Drinking itself is NOT scorned in Scripture. Drinking to excess is. But it takes a Christian to accurately interpret Scripture, which puzzles academics, who rarely can.

Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter, there is nothing ill-gained by any of our sources of income. It is all legal. And we pay more in taxes in one year then most people do in their lifetimes.

We also host social events to further enlighten others about the true evil that is transpiring in not only our nation, but other nations as well. And sometimes, our efforts here are fruitful. This pursuit also requires money to accomplish.

We also do everything we can to save domestic animals (Not that you care about this either.) that others have abandoned. This also requires "evil money" to accomplish.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    Good grief, Krieger! Don't you even have a sense of humor?

Have you been appointed the moral conscience here at Skadi, or are you just volunteering your services.

For someone who professes to have abandoned the Good Lord, you promote conveniently selected Biblical passages to suit your purpose just like a true evangelical preacher... But then, so does the fallen one.

After what Lilly has experienced in the past involving men, I'm surprised she even married me. But I'm certainly glad she did. And when she get's uppity with me at times, I just calmly take it on the chin, because that's what real men do.

BTW, Scripture advises that husbands and wives are to keep each other satisfied in all ways to prevent drifting into the arms of temptation.

Drinking itself is NOT scorned in Scripture. Drinking to excess is. But it takes a Christian to accurately interpret Scripture, which puzzles academics, who rarely can.

Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter, there is nothing ill-gained by any of our sources of income. It is all legal. And we pay more in taxes in one year then most people do in their lifetimes.

We also host social events to further enlighten others about the true evil that is transpiring in not only our nation, but other nations as well. And sometimes, our efforts here are fruitful. This pursuit also requires money to accomplish.

We also do everything we can to save domestic animals (Not that you care about this either.) that others have abandoned. This also requires "evil money" to accomplish.
    I may no longer be a Christian but I know the Bible extremely well, having spent many years in in depth study of its contents. My main interest was Eschatology in the sense of the study of the 'last times'. Some of it I still find very relevant, particularly the references in Revelation to the 'mark of the Beast' etc.
    I have never said that your income comes from any illegal source. I am confident that it does not. I merely question the morality of gaining money from fracking companies raping our sacred Mother Earth. This is where the Abrahamic religions differ significantly from heathen and pagan spiritual paths for heathenism is earth-centred, not man-centred unlike Christianity. Genesis 1:26 encourages man to use and exploit the earth as a resource: "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Your work with animals-I commend you for that.

Money itself is not 'evil' but the craving for it is and this is one of the reasons why I detest capitalism for it involves the exploitation of the labour of the worker. Now we also see the exploitation and rape of sacred Mother Earth.