Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts

The Image of Loki on the Snaptun Stone and the Gnezdovo Amulet

http://celto-germanic.blogspot.com/2...stone-and.html

The Image of Loki on the Snaptun Stone and the Gnezdovo Amulet

The two images above are extremely similar in form. The image to the left is a photograph taken from the Snaptun Stone, discovered in 1950 in Snaptun, Denmark and dating back to around 1,000 CE. It is believed that this stone was a hearth stone. The nozzle of a bellows would have been inserted into the hole at the front of the stone. Air blown through the stone would cause flames to shoot forth from the top of it. This is significant for we know that Loki is associated with fire.

"Logi, as we have seen, was a second son of Forniotr, and the three brothers Hler, Logi, Kari on the whole seem to represent water, air and fire as elements. Now a striking narrative (Sn. 54.60) places Logi by the side of Loki, a being from the giant province beside a kinsman and companion to the gods. This is no mere play upon words, the two really signify the same thing from different points of view, Logi the natural force of fire, and Loki, with a shifting of the sound, a shifting of the sense: of the burly giant has been made a sly seducing villain. The two may be compared to the Prometheus and the Hephaestus (Vulcan) of the Greeks; Okeanos was a friend and kinsman of the former. But the two get mixed up. " (Teutonic Mythology Volume 1, Jacob Grimm)

Grimm goes on to make some comparisons between these two sets of Germanic and Greek deities which is rather convincing.

"The name Loki, like that of the Latin Vulcanus, denotes the light or blaze of fire, and in such phrases as Locke dricker vand, Loki drinks water, described the phenomena of the sun drinking when its light streams in shafts from the cloud rifts to the earth or the waters beneath. The word thus carries us to the old verb liuhan, the Latin lucere, to shine, and to Logi as its earlier form, the modern German lohe, glow; but as the Greek tradition referred the name Oidipous......., to know and to swell, so a supposed connexion with the verb lukan, to shut or lock, substituted the name Loki for Logi, and modified his character accordingly." (The Mythology of the Aryan Nations Volume II, George William Cox)

I have noted before the etymological connection between Loki and the Celtic Lugh. The Proto-Celtic root
    *lug may be derived from the Proto-Indo-European *leuk, meaning to shine.

The identification of the Snaptun Stone with Loki is also enhanced by the fact that the face on the stone has a scarred lip which we know was one of Loki`s features from the tale related in Skladskaparmal in the Younger Edda where the sons of Ivaldi stitched up Loki's lips.

The second image is of an amulet found as part of the Gnezdovo hoard in Russia. It is commonly assumed (without any evidence) to be an amulet associated with Odin. However some feel that the deity it depicts is more likely to be Loki and when one considers the similarity in likeness between the amulet and the stone I must conclude that it is intended to be Loki which helps to weaken the assumption of most scholars that Loki had no cult!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wuotans Krieger For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago @ 06:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    The amulet shows a horseshoe and a slightly implied Irminsul kind of decoration.
    The horseshoe with the open side up is a luck symbol with the Irminsul "growing" through it.

A hearth stone with Loki on it makes a lot of sense, since he was the blaze or flame, so as to keep the hearth fire going.

Loki's mother is Laufey/r, the literal Lauffeuer (wildfire), which is a destructive, uncontrollable force. In Loki, the giant/thursa nature of all Aesir is best preserved. While he was allowed into their circle, his nature as thursa (primal force) remains a strong element in all his appearances.

Grimm makes the point that Loki actually, originally was Saturn, which is also preserved in the weekday names. While the Roman-influenced areas adopted derivations of Saturn (in English it's Saturday even), in the Nordic languages (Swedish) it's lördag (old Swedish lögerdag, Danish löverdag, Old Nordic laugardagr), which would make for an interesting investigation as to whether Loki, once upon a time, was the highest god, before he descended into the "satan"-twisted form.

If that was the case, then Loki certainly had a cult of his own, probably even was the source of all cult to begin with.

Is it known / estimated from what time the amulet is?
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

4. The Following User Says Thank You to velvet For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    The amulet shows a horseshoe and a slightly implied Irminsul kind of decoration.
    The horseshoe with the open side up is a luck symbol with the Irminsul "growing" through it.

A hearth stone with Loki on it makes a lot of sense, since he was the blaze or flame, so as to keep the hearth fire going.

Loki's mother is Laufey/r, the literal Lauffeuer (wildfire), which is a destructive, uncontrollable force. In Loki, the giant/thursa nature of all Aesir is best preserved. While he was allowed into their circle, his nature as thursa (primal force) remains a strong element in all his appearances.

Grimm makes the point that Loki actually, originally was Saturn, which is also preserved in the weekday names. While the Roman-influenced areas adopted derivations of Saturn (in English it's Saturday even), in the Nordic languages (Swedish) it's lördag (old Swedish lögerdag, Danish löverdag, Old Nordic laugardagr), which would make for an interesting investigation as to whether Loki, once upon a time, was the highest god, before he descended into the "satan"-twisted form.

If that was the case, then Loki certainly had a cult of his own, probably even was the source of all cult to begin with.

Is it known / estimated from what time the amulet is?
    There have also been attempts to link the Saxon God Krodo with Saturn. You will find quite a few articles on my Aryan Myth and Metahistory and Celto-Germanic Culture, Myth and History blogs about that particular deity who interests me as it is more than likely that he would have been honoured by my maternal ancestors who came from the Harz.
    Regarding the Gnezdovo amulet it is dated to the 10th-11th centuries. The Snaptun Stone is dated to around 1000 CE. So they are contemporary with each other. It may of course be a common motif and we cannot be certain that it relates to Loki. I have a copy of this pendant made in pewter by spiral.org. They attribute it to Odin but it lacks the missing eye which would be a distinguishing feature if it were Odin. See http://www.spiral.org.uk/acatalog/Sp...ellery_13.html
    A few years ago people automatically associated the amulet with Odin but I know that my short blog post has had a bit of traction on the Internet and more often than not craftsmen reproducing this piece on sites like etsy refer to it as 'Loki's mask'-rightly or wrongly!
    Some if not most Wodenists deny Loki his godhood but I believe that they are wrong. His mother was regarded as a Goddess in the Eddas and all of the Aesir have giant ancestry anyway, including Odin! On my Aryan Myth and Metahistory blog I have tried to make the case for Loki being the 'Shadow' of Odin. See http://aryan-myth-and-metahistory.bl...left-hand.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuotans Krieger For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago @ 06:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuotans Krieger View Post
    Some if not most Wodenists deny Loki his godhood but I believe that they are wrong. His mother was regarded as a Goddess in the Eddas
    Hm, point me to that in the Eddas pls, cant remember that Laufey was regarded as goddess. Or are you speaking of Nál?

and all of the Aesir have giant ancestry anyway, including Odin! On my Aryan Myth and Metahistory blog I have tried to make the case for Loki being the 'Shadow' of Odin. See http://aryan-myth-and-metahistory.bl...left-hand.html
    I'm not a great fan of attempts to reduce the pantheon to one god and turn them into mere represenations of aspects, this would take a lot from the pluralism (aka driving forces, dynamics) that differenciates paganism from monotheism. Not even ginnungagab is a singularity but lives from the dynamics of opposite forces.

But of course you're right that the Aesir are merely the "next generation" of thursa/giants, not a seperate 'species'. In this it is also important to note the difference between thursa and jötunn, the thursa are primal (cosmic) that flew from ginnungagab, not midgard bound like the jötunn. It's the thursa-line that brought forth the Aesir, too. The single translation of both to "giants" (so as to equate them to the Greek titans which do not know this differenciation, although Prometheus clearly is more of a thursa than a jötunn!) is very misleading, imho, and deludes a lot of their qualities, thus ability to understand the underlying philosophy.

Having thought a bit about the horseshoe and the "flame" (Irminsul) now on the amulet, it actually makes a lot of sense to think it's Loki rather than Odin who's depicted. But this touches upon something which I myself need to investigate deeper before I try to formulate my thoughts on it.

Somewhere in the depths of the forum there should be a thread about how Vóluspa is a cosmology, which is one of the ideas I have in relation to the Irminsul-flame/flare on the amulet.

If my idea touches the truth, it would be amazing to see this truely ancient view survived into the 10th/11th century.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    Hm, point me to that in the Eddas pls, cant remember that Laufey was regarded as goddess. Or are you speaking of Nál?

I'm not a great fan of attempts to reduce the pantheon to one god and turn them into mere represenations of aspects, this would take a lot from the pluralism (aka driving forces, dynamics) that differenciates paganism from monotheism. Not even ginnungagab is a singularity but lives from the dynamics of opposite forces.

But of course you're right that the Aesir are merely the "next generation" of thursa/giants, not a seperate 'species'. In this it is also important to note the difference between thursa and jötunn, the thursa are primal (cosmic) that flew from ginnungagab, not midgard bound like the jötunn. It's the thursa-line that brought forth the Aesir, too. The single translation of both to "giants" (so as to equate them to the Greek titans which do not know this differenciation, although Prometheus clearly is more of a thursa than a jötunn!) is very misleading, imho, and deludes a lot of their qualities, thus ability to understand the underlying philosophy.

Having thought a bit about the horseshoe and the "flame" (Irminsul) now on the amulet, it actually makes a lot of sense to think it's Loki rather than Odin who's depicted. But this touches upon something which I myself need to investigate deeper before I try to formulate my thoughts on it.

Somewhere in the depths of the forum there should be a thread about how Vóluspa is a cosmology, which is one of the ideas I have in relation to the Irminsul-flame/flare on the amulet.

If my idea touches the truth, it would be amazing to see this truely ancient view survived into the 10th/11th century.
    I have used my article http://aryan-myth-and-metahistory.bl...left-hand.html to start a new thread. The article does touch upon the issue of the divine status of Loki's mother.