Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Dresses, Skirts and Other Feminine Wear

I'm curious which of you girls/women still wear the old fashioned dress/skirt? Nowadays a lot of the fashion has been pointing to an "unisex" direction, and while I have nothing against women wearing pants, part of me wonders what has happened to expressing our femininity through fashion?

If you wear skirts or dresses, which style if your favorite? How conservative, vintage or modern do you go? Over the knee, below the knee? Do you wear your dresses with shirts or blouses underneath, what about tights or stockings/pantyhose? How else do you express your femininity? Accessories or hairstyle for example?

I like to wear dresses and skirts and have come to prefer them to jeans and pants, with few exceptions. I tend to preferlong dresses, although in summer I may go shorter occasionally, but not significantly above the knee. In spring/autumn/winter I wear pantyhose, tights or leggings.

A few types of dresses I like are:

Shirt dresses

Wrap dresses

Slip dresses

Flared dresses

Lace dresses

Sheer dresses

Oversize dresses

Pullover dresses

I also wear short dresses, long tunics or blouses with jeans or leggings.

Bell sleeves are also feminine

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Idis For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    I myself prefer feminine and "gender stereotypical" type of clothing because I like tradition and it's also the Christian thing to do. If you're a Christian or follow traditional culture, then it's also a biblical principle to dress according to your gender. This doesn't mean only dresses and skirts however, as a woman you can also wear pants, but the general rule of thumb is that other peoples should be able to tell your gender. I'm myself not a fan of the ambiguous, androgynous look. There are pants especially tailored for women, and pants can be combined with a feminine blouse or tunic. Here an interesting article from a Christian point of view: Is it wrong for Christian women to wear pants?

Some styles of feminine wear I like:

I'm mostly into peasanty/rural style.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Here's some tips for women who aren't the biggest fans of dresses and skirts, but still want to look feminine:

Swap hoodies for trendy sweatshirts …

I’m not talking about the drab sack-like sweatshirts that you sometimes want to curl up into on lazy days, or the workout versions. This year, sweatshirts came back on the runway with an updated look: still sporty yes, but all glammed up. They now come textured, beaded, printed, dip-dyed and even with leather to start with but you’ll still feel comfortable for sure.

… And tailored outerwear

Upgrade your hoodies to something more definitive such as tailored coats and jackets. With your hourglass figure, Jordan, single- or double-breasted styles will work just as well and cinching them with a belt will show off your shape better. The timeless architecture of these pieces will also add a smart flair to your outfit, even if it’s just skinny jeans!

Pick peplum tops

Peplum tops don’t suit all shapes but they work on yours, darling! These tops have an extended hem (the peplum) that usually flares out, making it look fun and flirty while drawing attention to a slim waist. Peplum tops aren’t always formal-looking — sometimes they can look like a simple long-sleeved top but the addition of the peplum hem refreshes its look. Slim-fit pants or jeans work better with peplums to contrast the illusion of slender waist and hips.

Play with colors, patterns and accessories

Sometimes it’s as simple as adding a new and brighter color or two to the usual grays and blacks in your wardrobe (like mine) to spice up a boring outfit. You don’t have to stick to typically girly tones like pastels all the time, Jordan dear. For autumn, go for something bold like cranberry red, burgundy, hunter green and camel. Come winter, jewel tones like purple, emerald green and royal blue stand out. A few easiest ways to do it is by colored pants or scarves. Colored pants are no longer a trend but a staple these days and the sky’s the limit. The colors I mentioned evoke sophistication even if you pair them with just white or gray. Easy-peasy!

If you’re fond of wearing snapbacks, watches, bracelets and the like, then upping the girly ante on accessorizing shouldn’t be a problem for you. Even if you’re wearing a menswear-inspired outfit like a long-sleeved shirt, suspender pants and sneakers, adding a few feminine touches like a jeweled hair pin for your hair or a filigree cocktail ring already makes a difference. An animal print clutch or satchel upgrades the usual messenger bag or backpack on weekends while a simple polka dot scarf adds a fun element.
    The source: https://www.yesstyle.com/blog/2014-1...s-and-dresses/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I have to admit I'm not seen often in skirts or dresses, as a stay at home mom with young kids I always get some stuff on my clothes, and I don't want to be worrying about adjusting my skirt. I'd still like to dress a bit more feminine though. The article Siebenbürgerin posted is quite a good idea.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bärin For This Useful Post:

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Idis View Post
    I'm curious which of you girls/women still wear the old fashioned dress/skirt? Nowadays a lot of the fashion has been pointing to an "unisex" direction, and while I have nothing against women wearing pants, part of me wonders what has happened to expressing our femininity through fashion?
    I prefer dresses and skirts, and wear them almost exclusively. The weather is often inclement where I currently live, so I often need to wear a pair of all weather trousers which can be removed when indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Idis View Post
    If you wear skirts or dresses, which style if your favorite? How conservative, vintage or modern do you go? Over the knee, below the knee? Do you wear your dresses with shirts or blouses underneath, what about tights or stockings/pantyhose? How else do you express your femininity? Accessories or hairstyle for example?
    I tend to like A-line skirts the best, and I prefer dresses and skirts that flow. I eschew anything tight and constricting, and I suppose I favour more conservative-style clothing, with lengths that fall below the knee. Stockings and tights are great, and I always feel more 'together' when my outfit includes them. The same goes for slips, too. During the summer, I am often embarrassed for women who wear sheer dresses without any type of slip or camisole underneath. Accessories like bracelets and scarves are fun, and I keep my hair on the longer side.
    “She could never be a saint, but she thought she could be a martyr if they killed her quick.”
    ― Flannery O'Connor

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Aries
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    352 Posts
    I love to wear dresses that are below the knee and longer. I have a few skirts. I have lots of tops/blouses that I usually wear with leggings or trousers. For jewelry, I like to wear earrings.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 11:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid + Dalofaelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Germanic Nationalism
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I really love to wear dresses and skirts. But only below the knee or longer. I have several long skirts. I've recently bought a beautiful long skirt with many little blue cornflowers on it. My daughters (especially my eldest daughter) also love to wear dresses and skirts. In my opinion girls and women should wear dresses and skirts way more often. It looks just so much more feminine and beautiful.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordic Angel For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,240 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Angel View Post
    I really love to wear dresses and skirts. But only below the knee or longer. I have several long skirts. I've recently bought a beautiful long skirt with many little blue cornflowers on it. My daughters (especially my eldest daughter) also love to wear dresses and skirts. In my opinion girls and women should wear dresses and skirts way more often. It looks just so much more feminine and beautiful.
    I love skirts too. I'm basically only girl who wears skirts (time to time) in our classes (but they says it fits one me ... my style). The skirts I wear are basically like these kinds (plus not any bright colors). I like colors which fits on our nature.

Dresses? Only in finer celebrations.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago @ 02:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Married
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Thanks Thanks Given