Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

How to Dress and Look Feminine

Lately I've been thinking about how to adopt a more feminine style. I'm curious which of you girls/women still wear the old fashioned dress/skirt? Nowadays a lot of the fashion has been pointing to an "unisex" direction, and while I have nothing against women wearing pants, part of me wonders what has happened to expressing our femininity through fashion?

If you wear skirts or dresses, which style if your favorite? How conservative, vintage or modern do you go? Over the knee, below the knee? Do you wear your dresses with shirts or blouses underneath, what about tights or stockings/pantyhose? How else do you express your femininity? Accessories or hairstyle for example?

I like to wear dresses and skirts and have come to prefer them to jeans and pants, with few exceptions. I tend to preferlong dresses, although in summer I may go shorter occasionally, but not significantly above the knee. In spring/autumn/winter I wear pantyhose, tights or leggings.

A few types of dresses I like are:

Shirt dresses

Wrap dresses

Slip dresses

Flared dresses

Lace dresses

Sheer dresses

Oversize dresses

Pullover dresses

I also wear short dresses, long tunics or blouses with jeans or leggings.

Bell sleeves are also feminine

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Idis For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 04:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts
    I myself prefer feminine and "gender stereotypical" type of clothing because I like tradition and it's also the Christian thing to do. If you're a Christian or follow traditional culture, then it's also a biblical principle to dress according to your gender. This doesn't mean only dresses and skirts however, as a woman you can also wear pants, but the general rule of thumb is that other peoples should be able to tell your gender. I'm myself not a fan of the ambiguous, androgynous look. There are pants especially tailored for women, and pants can be combined with a feminine blouse or tunic. Here an interesting article from a Christian point of view: Is it wrong for Christian women to wear pants?

Some styles of feminine wear I like:

I'm mostly into peasanty/rural style.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 04:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts
    Here's some tips for women who aren't the biggest fans of dresses and skirts, but still want to look feminine:

Swap hoodies for trendy sweatshirts …

I’m not talking about the drab sack-like sweatshirts that you sometimes want to curl up into on lazy days, or the workout versions. This year, sweatshirts came back on the runway with an updated look: still sporty yes, but all glammed up. They now come textured, beaded, printed, dip-dyed and even with leather to start with but you’ll still feel comfortable for sure.

… And tailored outerwear

Upgrade your hoodies to something more definitive such as tailored coats and jackets. With your hourglass figure, Jordan, single- or double-breasted styles will work just as well and cinching them with a belt will show off your shape better. The timeless architecture of these pieces will also add a smart flair to your outfit, even if it’s just skinny jeans!

Pick peplum tops

Peplum tops don’t suit all shapes but they work on yours, darling! These tops have an extended hem (the peplum) that usually flares out, making it look fun and flirty while drawing attention to a slim waist. Peplum tops aren’t always formal-looking — sometimes they can look like a simple long-sleeved top but the addition of the peplum hem refreshes its look. Slim-fit pants or jeans work better with peplums to contrast the illusion of slender waist and hips.

Play with colors, patterns and accessories

Sometimes it’s as simple as adding a new and brighter color or two to the usual grays and blacks in your wardrobe (like mine) to spice up a boring outfit. You don’t have to stick to typically girly tones like pastels all the time, Jordan dear. For autumn, go for something bold like cranberry red, burgundy, hunter green and camel. Come winter, jewel tones like purple, emerald green and royal blue stand out. A few easiest ways to do it is by colored pants or scarves. Colored pants are no longer a trend but a staple these days and the sky’s the limit. The colors I mentioned evoke sophistication even if you pair them with just white or gray. Easy-peasy!

If you’re fond of wearing snapbacks, watches, bracelets and the like, then upping the girly ante on accessorizing shouldn’t be a problem for you. Even if you’re wearing a menswear-inspired outfit like a long-sleeved shirt, suspender pants and sneakers, adding a few feminine touches like a jeweled hair pin for your hair or a filigree cocktail ring already makes a difference. An animal print clutch or satchel upgrades the usual messenger bag or backpack on weekends while a simple polka dot scarf adds a fun element.
    The source: https://www.yesstyle.com/blog/2014-1...s-and-dresses/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Secure a future for Germanic children
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 04:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    I have to admit I'm not seen often in skirts or dresses, as a stay at home mom with young kids I always get some stuff on my clothes, and I don't want to be worrying about adjusting my skirt. I'd still like to dress a bit more feminine though. The article Siebenbürgerin posted is quite a good idea.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bärin For This Useful Post:

Senior Administrator
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    While skirts and dresses are typical feminine wear, one doesn't need to wear them if one doesn't like them or don't find them particularly practical or comfortable. One can wear jeans together with a feminine type of blouse or a style typically designed for women like a draped or asymmetric top, or a tie waist/wrap around. Batwing/bishop/bell/balloon or puffed sleeves, ruffles, bows or buttons at the neck can all render your outfit a feminine touch and provide some interesting detail at the same time. You can wear V-necks, U-necks or other type of feminine necklines. Halter or illusion necklines are typically feminine, as are one- or off-shoulder or strapless styles. If the neckline is plunging, you can compliment it with a statement necklace or scarf. Certain vintage/traditional styles like peasant or victorian are making a fashionable comeback these days. A trendy winter attire is the poncho. The creasy lines and the curvy neck design make it attractive on jeans and leggings. In winter, you can compliment a chunky sweater by wearing a white lace blouse with a pretty black lace ribbon at the neck underneath, or a peter pan collar. Detachable collars are also a practical innovation that can turn a simple sweater into something more feminine and classy.

Certain fabrics, patterns and/or embellishments can be feminine or even girly, e.g. silk, satin, sequin, lace, organza, embroidery, floral patterns, polka dots, ribbons, pearls, rhinestones and other bejeweled embellishments. Colors like pink, red, purple, or bright blue are considered to be traditionally feminine, but any bright color can add a youthful and energetic feel to your look. Most men wear discreet colors and patterns, so you have a lot of playroom here. If you're not into bright colors though - I'm personally not - soft colors like pink, nude, mint green or pale blue can also be graceful. But of course one can't go wrong with the classics; white symbolizes purity while black is sophisticated and mysterious.

A good tip is to wear clothes that fit. There is a misconception that the tighter the better, particularly if one wants to look attractive. Clothes that are too tight can look quite unflattering or even cheap. Similarly, loose, baggy styles can also hide a womanly figure. If your style is comfy, oversize pullovers or sweatshirts, pair them with some skinny jeans. Getting your clothes tailored can also help, if you can afford it. One doesn't always find what one likes directly of the rack. Look for outfits that outline womanly traits, e.g. the waistline (waisted dresses or coats, high waisted jeans or jeggings). A dress or skirt that skims the knees is universally flattering and emphasizes the silhouette, highlighting the leg lines. Pencil skirts highlight curves in a modest but modern way. A high neck t-shirt looks great on every body type because it has a sort of slimming effect on the waist. Half or 3/4 sleeves are typical of women's fashion and have an elegant, vintage vibe. Opting for more arm coverage is flattering for the figure, as it highlights the elegant arm lines. Getting to know your body type is essential. Regardless if you have an hourglass, athletic or androgynous figure, as long as you wear what works best for your shape, your clothes will fit and look much better on you.

With skirts and dresses, one can appear girly, ladylike, conservative or cheap, depending on style and length. Personally, I prefer mid-calf or midi skirts and maxi skirts in summer. Miniskirts I will occasionally wear when it gets chilly and I can pair them with tights that cover the skin. Generally throwing on a dress can make you look feminine in an effortless way. Dresses can also be worn all year round, even in winter, with adequate layering of course. A casual black maxi or slip dress can go with just about anything. Layer a sweater, denim or leather jacket on top of your dress when it gets too cool to wear it on its own. Flared skirts and dresses flatter the silhouette vintage style. An interesting combination I've seen on the streets in the cooler months is pairing a pleated or tulle skirt with a leather jacket. If you have a pear or hourglass shape, wearing a pencil or A-line skirt can accentuate the curves, smoothing out the thighs and flares out over the hips.

If you're not that much into skirts or dresses, one can also dress feminine while wearing trousers, for example culottes, palazzos and pantskirts can be quite feminine, as are skinny jeans or wide legged pants. High-waisted jeans will compliment the waistline and give you a feminine shape. Jumpsuits and rompers are also feminine/girly. Eve if you are the comfy style sweatpant or harem pant wearer, you can still add a feminine touch to your wardrobe by choosing an embroidered/lacy pair.

Feminine types of shoes can be any high heel, strappy sandals, ballet flats, pumps, ankle boots, knee length or riding boots. Since shoes are a woman's best friend, here you can be versatile with materials and embellishments, pretty much anything goes, from the delicate/refined velvet and lace to ribbons and rhinestones. Personally, I prefer flats and chunkier heels, as high heels can be tiring and have the potential to damage the leg/foot.

Wearing jewelry and/or accessories can also add a feminine touch to your style. Think of delicate pieces rather than bold, such as thin, refined bracelets and necklaces or girly stud earrings to dress up casual looks. Another simple trick is to style your hair. Long hair is generally considered to be more feminine than short hair, although certain short or medium hairstyles like the bob can also look cute and girly. You can try wearing braids, buns, pigtails or waves, or adding a hair accessory or two. Even if you have short hair and there's not much you can do with it, a simple headband can add some femininity to your outfit. If you wear a ponytail, tie a ribbon around it or use a thick hair strand to cover the elastic.

Make-up is generally considered a woman's thing and can enhance feminine features, e.g. you can make your eyes appear larger by using white eyeliner, or add some contouring or blush. Studies have found that the most charming type of makeup is considered to be the natural look or "no make-up make-up". If you're a fan of makeup, try using natural, "light" products that don't damage the skin and don't forget to remove your makeup and cleanse and exfoliate. If it's not your cup of tea, there are natural tricks to look fresh and beautiful. Moisturizing the skin, curling the lashes, putting on just a bit of concealer or BB cream under the eyes and wearing some lip balm is more than enough for some. Getting a manicure, or simply using nail polish, even clear one, is also a girly thing. Contrary to popular belief though, long, sharp nails aren't considered feminine or sexy. They can also get in the way of doing simple daily tasks, not to mention a source for germs. Men don't seem to like them either. :P

While wearing fragrances is not exclusively feminine, women do traditionally tend to wear them more. It needn't be an expensive perfume, scented body sprays or lotions can also give you a discreetly feminine air too. Here as well less is more, I think. Wearing too much perfume can leave a consistent trail behind and potentially bother those with allergies. Strong perfume is generally considered a "grandma" thing. Your choice of handbag can also play a role. Just like fitted pieces of clothing are flattering, structured and slim handbags are a great accessory. If you like bigger slouchy bags or need a lot of room, make sure you balance the bag out with your clothing to avoid looking frumpy.

Finally, femininity does not only consist of the way you dress but also results from the way you carry yourself. There are certain things a lady is not expected to do in public, such as cursing, being loud, engaging in gossip and so on.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:

Omnia in bonum
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Idis View Post
    I'm curious which of you girls/women still wear the old fashioned dress/skirt? Nowadays a lot of the fashion has been pointing to an "unisex" direction, and while I have nothing against women wearing pants, part of me wonders what has happened to expressing our femininity through fashion?
    I prefer dresses and skirts, and wear them almost exclusively. The weather is often inclement where I currently live, so I often need to wear a pair of all weather trousers which can be removed when indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Idis View Post
    If you wear skirts or dresses, which style if your favorite? How conservative, vintage or modern do you go? Over the knee, below the knee? Do you wear your dresses with shirts or blouses underneath, what about tights or stockings/pantyhose? How else do you express your femininity? Accessories or hairstyle for example?
    I tend to like A-line skirts the best, and I prefer dresses and skirts that flow. I eschew anything tight and constricting, and I suppose I favour more conservative-style clothing, with lengths that fall below the knee. Stockings and tights are great, and I always feel more 'together' when my outfit includes them. The same goes for slips, too. During the summer, I am often embarrassed for women who wear sheer dresses without any type of slip or camisole underneath. Accessories like bracelets and scarves are fun, and I keep my hair on the longer side.
    'Well, what are you?" said the Pigeon. "I can see you're trying to invent something!" "I-I'm a little girl," said Alice, rather doubtfully. She found herself at last in a beautiful garden, among the bright flower-beds and the cool fountains.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Zodiac Sign
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    I love to wear dresses that are below the knee and longer. I have a few skirts. I have lots of tops/blouses that I usually wear with leggings or trousers. For jewelry, I like to wear earrings.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago @ 08:46 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid + Dalofaelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Germanic Nationalism
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts
    I really love to wear dresses and skirts. But only below the knee or longer. I have several long skirts. I've recently bought a beautiful long skirt with many little blue cornflowers on it. My daughters (especially my eldest daughter) also love to wear dresses and skirts. In my opinion girls and women should wear dresses and skirts way more often. It looks just so much more feminine and beautiful.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordic Angel For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Scania Scania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Angel View Post
    I really love to wear dresses and skirts. But only below the knee or longer. I have several long skirts. I've recently bought a beautiful long skirt with many little blue cornflowers on it. My daughters (especially my eldest daughter) also love to wear dresses and skirts. In my opinion girls and women should wear dresses and skirts way more often. It looks just so much more feminine and beautiful.
    I love skirts too. I'm basically only girl who wears skirts (time to time) in our classes (but they says it fits one me ... my style). The skirts I wear are basically like these kinds (plus not any bright colors). I like colors which fits on our nature.

Dresses? Only in finer celebrations.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 07:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Völkisch