Thread: You can die simply by giving up the will to live, says new research.

Last Online
    10 Minutes Ago @ 05:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts

You can die simply by giving up the will to live, says new research.

1. Give-up-itis or psychogenic death is a real and terrible condition, finds new research.
    2. People can die in as few as three days after a major trauma causes them to give up on life.
    3. There are 5 stages of give-up-itis.

Can you die simply by giving up the will to live? Yes, concludes a new study, led by Dr. John Leach from the University of Portsmouth in the UK. The first-of-its-kind study looked at the phenomenon of "give-up-itis" - a word used for what is medically known as "psychogenic death".

How is this possible? The research says "give-up-itis" can be catalyzed by a trauma that seems inescapable, with death appearing as a rational and inevitable thing to do. Without an interference, death can happen in as little as three days after the initial withdrawal from life.

What's important to note about this condition is that it's not the same as suicide.

The doctor thinks give-up-itis could be caused by a change in the anterior cingulate circuit – a frontal-subcortical circuit of the brain, which controls motivation and the person's goal-oriented behavior.

But death does not have to be inevitable even if you fall victim to "give-up-itis". Different interventions like physical activity that can give the person some sense of regaining choice and control can break the terrible cycle by releasing dopamine.

Dr. Leach identified five stages of progressing psychological decline leading to death:

1. Social withdrawal - this usually follows a psychological trauma and can be considered a way of coping, according to Dr. Leach. This very passive state is marked by withdrawal from social interaction, emotionlessness, indifference, and self-absorption. Former POWs are often in this state right after being captured.

2. Apathy - a person in this state exhibits serious melancholy and lack of energy, as if they no longer wish to preserve themselves. This goes along with not putting forth efforts towards much of anything, especially bathing.

3. Aboulia - this is when a person not only severely lacks motivation, but also has almost no emotional response to the point of no wanting to speak. The sufferer becomes extremely withdrawn into themselves and has no desire or ability to help themselves or others.

Dr. Leach described aboulia as if having "an empty mind or a consciousness devoid of content." The mind essentially goes on stand-by.

4. Psychic akinesia - this state is reached when a person is conscious but is in such profound apathy that even extreme pain like from getting hit will prompt no response. A person in psychic akinesia would not only not bathe but often just lie in their own waste, found the researchers.

5. Psychogenic death - this final stage involves the person's complete giving up and subsequent disintegration. Dr.Leach said that someone who reached this stage "might be lying in their own excreta and nothing - no warning, no beating, no pleading can make them want to live."

Prisoners in concentration camps were known to reach this last stage when they'd take out a hidden cigarette to smoke. As cigarettes were extremely valuable and could be traded for things like food, a person smoking one was regarded as having truly given up. Their death would usually follow within several days.

Source: Bigthink.com
    “Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no-one is too poor to buy.” - C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    845 Posts
    There was an extremely depressing point in my life when I simply gave up my will to live. My wife became frantic about my increasing state of lethargy, unnatural weight loss, and mental apathy. So I agreed to visit our family physician concerning this matter for her, because at the time I just didn't care anymore. I wasn't in his office very long when he expressed a very concerned expression, turned away from me and left me sitting alone in the exam room until a nurse informed me I could leave.

My wife informed me soon after she returned home from work that our doctor had done something he didn't ordinarily do; he called her about my condition. He told her if she really loved me she should seek immediate psychiatric help for me, because there was nothing he could do for me, and I was not going to survive much longer without professional help.

This was the beginning of a lengthy process of recovery for me as both an outpatient and an inpatient at several different mental health facilities where I was poked, prodded, interviewed, tested, medicated, and psychoanalyzed over the next several years until I was deemed healthy enough to return to my 'normal' life in the real world.

I was still a physical mess at this point. I had gained fifty pounds due to having been virtually sedentary for several years due to my state of mind and the extensive range of psyche meds I had been prescribed. It took me about a year to regain my stamina and muscular physique. But I managed to do this. And I managed to survive this horrible nightmare because of the loving little darling I married.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 02:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon-Celt
    Ancestry
    Irish, English, Scottish, German, French, Mi'kmaq
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    maker of things
    Politics
    non-corruption for the people
    Religion
    Pantheism / Norse pagan / Taoism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I've noticed cases of one elderly partner's death and then the other partner dying fairly soon afterwards (days, weeks, months). I wouldn't say it's necessarily what is described here but I think that loss of partner (especially when elderly and together so long) can lower the will to live on.

I think psychological shock can induce major health problems.

-------------

[Some articles just have to throw in something like at the end. I wonder whose concentration camps they were referring to (Canada's and the USA's full of Japanese, or the 'victorious' allies in Europe purposefully starving captive German soldiers to death .... I suppose they didn't even have a cigarette at the end)]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenrune For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,242 Posts
    Those people who makes suicides .... have giving up the will to live.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Those people who makes suicides .... have giving up the will to live.
    Not necessarily, FS. Suicides result from any number of reasons:

1. Broken hearts due to loss of romantic love.

2. Terminal illness.

3. Loss of quality of life that can't be recovered due to sustained injuries, or health problems leading to blindness, for example.

4. Infirmity due to age related disabilities.

5. The loss of a loved one.

There are numerous reasons for one to take their own life.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    Not necessarily, FS. Suicides result from any number of reasons:

1. Broken hearts due to loss of romantic love.

2. Terminal illness.

3. Loss of quality of life that can't be recovered due to sustained injuries, or health problems leading to blindness, for example.

4. Infirmity due to age related disabilities.

5. The loss of a loved one.

There are numerous reasons for one to take their own life.
    And? In all of those cases, and maybe in some others ... if one ends on suicide ... he/she has lost the will to live.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    And? In all of those cases, and maybe in some others ... if one ends on suicide ... he/she has lost the will to live.
    I suppose. Or out of desperation with no other viable alternative available.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 08:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    French/German/English
    Ancestry
    France, Germany, England
    Country
    France France
    Leo
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    It's crazy to think this can actually happen, but it can and does. The wife of one of our clients is going through the early stages of this after losing a family member. She had to be hospitalized because she wouldn't eat and was near catatonic.

She's such a lovely woman and I'm not sure her husband could handle losing her. They are in their early 80s as it is. As of last week she was still in the hospital but she was doing a little better.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drusilla For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 05:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlodovech View Post
    1. Give-up-itis or psychogenic death is a real and terrible condition, finds new research.
    2. People can die in as few as three days after a major trauma causes them to give up on life.
    3. There are 5 stages of give-up-itis.

Can you die simply by giving up the will to live? Yes, concludes a new study, led by Dr. John Leach from the University of Portsmouth in the UK. The first-of-its-kind study looked at the phenomenon of "give-up-itis" - a word used for what is medically known as "psychogenic death".

How is this possible? The research says "give-up-itis" can be catalyzed by a trauma that seems inescapable, with death appearing as a rational and inevitable thing to do. Without an interference, death can happen in as little as three days after the initial withdrawal from life.

What's important to note about this condition is that it's not the same as suicide.

The doctor thinks give-up-itis could be caused by a change in the anterior cingulate circuit – a frontal-subcortical circuit of the brain, which controls motivation and the person's goal-oriented behavior.

But death does not have to be inevitable even if you fall victim to "give-up-itis". Different interventions like physical activity that can give the person some sense of regaining choice and control can break the terrible cycle by releasing dopamine.

Dr. Leach identified five stages of progressing psychological decline leading to death:

1. Social withdrawal - this usually follows a psychological trauma and can be considered a way of coping, according to Dr. Leach. This very passive state is marked by withdrawal from social interaction, emotionlessness, indifference, and self-absorption. Former POWs are often in this state right after being captured.

2. Apathy - a person in this state exhibits serious melancholy and lack of energy, as if they no longer wish to preserve themselves. This goes along with not putting forth efforts towards much of anything, especially bathing.

3. Aboulia - this is when a person not only severely lacks motivation, but also has almost no emotional response to the point of no wanting to speak. The sufferer becomes extremely withdrawn into themselves and has no desire or ability to help themselves or others.

Dr. Leach described aboulia as if having "an empty mind or a consciousness devoid of content." The mind essentially goes on stand-by.

4. Psychic akinesia - this state is reached when a person is conscious but is in such profound apathy that even extreme pain like from getting hit will prompt no response. A person in psychic akinesia would not only not bathe but often just lie in their own waste, found the researchers.

5. Psychogenic death - this final stage involves the person's complete giving up and subsequent disintegration. Dr.Leach said that someone who reached this stage "might be lying in their own excreta and nothing - no warning, no beating, no pleading can make them want to live."

Prisoners in concentration camps were known to reach this last stage when they'd take out a hidden cigarette to smoke. As cigarettes were extremely valuable and could be traded for things like food, a person smoking one was regarded as having truly given up. Their death would usually follow within several days.

Source: Bigthink.com
    LoL! I have probably reached stage 3!