Bavaria Bavaria
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Germanic-American ethnic distribution Maps!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    I have been thinking about visting the Mid-West also but it has nothing to do with Bismarck. Though I admire him as a great leader.

It will be pleasant to be in America yet at the same time experience an overwhelmingly Nordic presence. Many have still kept traditions from the old countries.
    I am from North Dakota, there is a strong influence of germans/scandinavians throughout the midwest, and many are bringing back their cultures and customs of their kin(most still cook and speak their native tongue's).In minnesota in a town called new ulm, about 90 miles southwest of minneapolis,is a very beautiful and preserved German community steeped in tradition and culture.They have a 90ft, statue of Herman the German(arminus), they hold oktoberfest as well as several other german celebrations to keep alive our customs and traditons.My family has been in america for 100 years and most of my family still speak German.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volksdeutsche
    They have a 90ft, statue of Herman the German(arminus), they hold oktoberfest as well as several other german celebrations to keep alive our customs and traditons.My family has been in america for 100 years and most of my family still speak German.
    That's quite amazing. I would have thought that most 2nd,3rd,ect generation German's would have assimiliated to such a degree as not to be able to speak German.

Last Online
    Monday, August 21st, 2017 @ 11:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volksdeutsche
    I am from North Dakota, there is a strong influence of germans/scandinavians throughout the midwest, and many are bringing back their cultures and customs of their kin(most still cook and speak their native tongue's).In minnesota in a town called new ulm, about 90 miles southwest of minneapolis,is a very beautiful and preserved German community steeped in tradition and culture.They have a 90ft, statue of Herman the German(arminus), they hold oktoberfest as well as several other german celebrations to keep alive our customs and traditons.My family has been in america for 100 years and most of my family still speak German.
    You are correct. Most people in the mid-west have pride in their Germanic heritage. I used to live in a city called Rockford, Illinois, which is top-dead-center of Illinois and the majority of people there are of Swedish heritage. A lot of the buildings downtown used to have Swedish flags and the Dala horse. Sad to say, that has passed since many immigrants of African, Mexican, and Arabian stock came and started bickering about the "excessive use" of "white pride". Now only few flags and Dala horses can be seen and they are on the houses of those who don't wish to appease the whims of the "minorities".

Also, I moved to Minnesota last year and was pleased to see the large Scandinavian presence in this state. There's a town called Lindstrom, which is about 1 1/2 hours north of the cities that is a Swedish community. The people there proudly display Swedish flags and even speak the Svensk language.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

AW: Re: Germanic-American ethnic distribution Maps!

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger
    Not to forget the capital of ND is called Bismarck, I actually thought about visiting it
    The Northern Pacific Railway named the foundation after Otto von Bismarck in 1873 because they expected the name would attract German investors and settlers. If it still allures German tourists in the 21st century, the NPR guys' seed apparently beared fruits.
    Man ſei Held oder Heiliger. In der Mitte liegt nicht die Weisheit, ſondern die Alltäglichkeit.

SPENGLER

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Re: AW: Re: Germanic-American ethnic distribution Maps!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordgau
    If it still allures German tourists in the 21st century, the NPR guys' seed apparently beared fruits.
    Indeed , I have to admit it is not only the name which attracts me, always wanted to see some countryside in the US, although I might need a Colt .45, or else I might get killed by some redneck wackos
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 10:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

AW: Re: AW: Re: Germanic-American ethnic distribution Maps!

Indeed , I have to admit it is not only the name which attracts me, always wanted to see some countryside in the US, although I might need a Colt .45, or else I might get killed by some redneck wackos
    I guess for a short trip through the Bronx you'd rather need a gun.
    Man ſei Held oder Heiliger. In der Mitte liegt nicht die Weisheit, ſondern die Alltäglichkeit.

SPENGLER

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

People are actually pretty friendly in the Mid West. Save the .45 for the cities.

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    People are actually pretty friendly in the Mid West. Save the .45 for the cities.
    Ah well, I won't use a gun anyway, I will club them to death if needed, and totally realy on my cat like reflexes.

But the brother of my neighbour actually got killed while he was hitch-hikeing, not sure where though.

I will just care for myself, don't trust anyone, call everyone else loser, and while I am at it, I will make a million as a dish-washer.

Mmmmm, America, wait me.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jäger For This Useful Post:

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Saturday, January 16th, 2021 @ 08:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

LOL! No, they're harmless really--so long as you treat them with respect and use good ole' common sense.

Nordgau is right. Save your rounds for the ghettos (not that you'll be going anytime soon. )

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Allenson For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Monday, May 1st, 2006 @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Allenson
    LOL! No, they're harmless really--so long as you treat them with respect and use good ole' common sense.
    "Anyone of tact and common sense can go as he pleases through the darkest corner of Appalachia without being molested. Tact, however, implies the will and the insight to put yourself truly in the other man's place. Imagine yourself born, bred, circumstanced like him. It implies, also, the courtesy of doing as you would be done by if you were in that fellow's shoes. No arrogance, no condescension, but man to man on a footing of equal manliness."
    --Horace Kephart, "Our Southern Highlanders"

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast