Thread: Sweet Tooth: Why Are The Swedes Obsessed With Candy?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Sweet Tooth: Why Are The Swedes Obsessed With Candy?

In this guest blog post, American Kevin Buckley sinks his teeth into one of Sweden's most peculiar traditions: lördagsgodis.
    After living in Stockholm for a year and a half, one thing has become crystal clear to me: Swedes are born with an insatiable sweet tooth. Swedes take their sweets seriously… very seriously. In fact, their confectionery consumption is a rich part of their culture.

First of all, there is the most quintessential Swedish experience of fika. This is a quick break taken during the day to enjoy a coffee and a small sweet treat.

In 2016, the average Swede ate 23.1 pounds of candy according to this article, making Sweden the country with the 7th highest per capita candy consumption (say that five times fast).

This does not surprise me at all. American readers may know of the little candy stores in US malls where you grab a shovel, fill a bag full of candy, and weigh it? Every store, gas station, movie theatre and you-name-it in Sweden has one of these. One day, I was talking to my Swedish landlord who is currently living in America. I asked him how the States were treating him and if he missed home. He replied simply: "I miss the candy."

Beware: Swedes also have an obsession for salty liquorice, so proceed with caution!

Most of this candy is eaten on one special day of the week: lördagsgodis or Candy Saturday. Possibly in an attempt to remain lagom – enjoying just enough without over indulging – Swedes limit the majority of their candy consumption to Saturdays. This seems to cause children and adults alike to anticipate and appreciate lördagsgodis even more.

Lördagsgodis is not the only special day associated with a sweet treat. Swedes have a few calendar days throughout the year when one MUST enjoy a certain Swedish pastry. Coming up soon is my wife JoEllen's favourite: Semla Day, celebrated on Fat Tuesday. Imagine a mini bread bowl of soup, but sweet and filled with whipped cream and almond paste and topped with powdered sugar.

During the darkest week of the year, Sweden celebrates St Lucia. This day is filled with music that allows Swedes to commiserate in the darkness while looking forward to the bright days to come. On St Lucia everyone must eat a few luciabullar. Though these pastries are not very sweet they are flavoured with saffron and two raisins.

Most importantly, there is kanelbullens dag, Cinnamon Bun Day, on October 4th, celebrated since the time after World War One when rationed food started to make its way back into Swedish homes.

The kanelbullar are definitely the most beloved pastry in Sweden; supposedly the average Swede eats 316 of these a year. Appropriately, the first kanelbullar I ever had was on kanelbullens dag and it was an eye-opening experience. Instead of being covered in icing, these rolls are sprinkled with sugar crystals and jam packed with cinnamon. YUM!

So the next time you are at the mall and see one of the little candy stores, consider picking out a few colourful treats and enjoy them on Saturday!
    https://www.thelocal.se/20170123/swe...sed-with-candy

Die Sonne scheint noch.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagna For This Useful Post:

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    I'm not a fan of salty liquorice/lakrtis candy or ice cream (black ice cream?!), but I do like Daim bars (crunchy caramel covered in milk chocolate), which was originally created by Swedish chocolate brand Marabou.
    “She could never be a saint, but she thought she could be a martyr if they killed her quick.”
    ― Flannery O'Connor

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 12:33 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    student
    Politics
    Conservative/Libertarian
    Religion
    Mormon/Noahide/Eastern thoughts
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    When I was a child we had söndagsgodis instead. The reason was that my uncle always visited us on Sundays and always bought candy to my sister and I. In my teens I ate plenty of candy. Despite this I had to fix my first tooth when I was 27.

There was a sugar experiment in Sweden. 780 people including staff at one institution was a part of it. They ate 30 tons of candy. That institution has a bad history since 203 men died there (it never mentioned the women but they survived it seems). Those who died had probably not anything to do with the sugar experiment though. There are very little info about this in English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipeholm_experiments

Info in Swedish:

https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2006-04-1...d-30-ton-godis
    https://www.vardfokus.se/tidningen/2...et-i-vipeholm/
    https://mittlund.wordpress.com/2011/...thomas-kanger/