Thread: Does Prussian Identity Still Exist Today?

Unregistered

Does Prussian Identity Still Exist Today?

Do any Germans still identify as Prussian now that the state of Prussia no longer exists either as a country or as an subnational unit within Germany? Is there a Prussian regional mentality other than the one seen by Bavarians, who consider anyone who is not one of them a "Prussian"? Any national garb, cuisine or dialects that can be considered Prussian?

Thank you.

Last Online
    46 Minutes Ago @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    897 Posts
    No, except for very old Prussian refugees who fled Prussia in 1945, there's probably no-one who can genuinely identify as Prussian anymore. The Prussian heartland is gone. In a Flanders without Flemings, Brabantians and Limburgers would stop identifying as Flemings too. The mentality of Prussians is and was undoubtedly different from Bavarians - but I'm not a German, a German can deal with the particularities of this matter much better than me.

This is what I came across. I'm sure there were regional differences regarding folk costume within Prussia itself, but this is what Prussian women wore in Spreewald - the figures are not from the Prussian heartland though.
    "After the year 1900 people will become unrecognisable. When the time for the Advent of the Antichrist approaches, peoples minds will grow cloudy from carnal passions, and dishonour and lawlessness will grow stronger. Peoples appearances will change, and it will be impossible to distinguish men from women due to there shamelessness in dress and style of hair. These people will be cruel and will be like wild animals because of the temptations of the Antichrist. There will be no respect for parents or elders, love will disappear, and Christian pastors, bishops, and priests will become vain men, completely failing to distinguish the right hand way from the left. At that time the morals and traditions of Christians and the Church will change. People will abandon modesty, and dissipation will reign. Falsehood and greed will attain great proportions, and woe to those who pile up treasures. Lust, adultery, homosexuality, secret deeds and murder will rule in society." - St. Nilus, 430 AD

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 01:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    French/German/English
    Ancestry
    France, Germany, England
    Country
    France France
    Leo
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Off-topic: When I was around 12, I got cast as a Prussian princess in a school play.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 02:50 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    202 Posts
    Not , that I am aware of it .

The Sudetendeutsche from Tshecheslovakia were in the 1980s the only Tribe , that I can remember today ,
    who where content once a year in the Tagesschau main ARD TV-programm reported of ,
    when they had hold their annual meeting .

Even small portions of their youth had put on traditional clothing for this event .

But Prussians in the public ?
    My guess is , that they are ashamed of their background , since the militaristic reputation ,
    that had been floating around them , had brought so much troubles after both World Wars everywhere .

One elderly woman I had met of age 90+ in the first half of the millenium , had kept books and
    pictures of Prussia in her house , which had some taste of paranoia , since it was kind of a small gated community for itself
    by wire fence and shadowy greens around the property .
    That small town, where it had been located , had not have many "foreigners" until year 2015 .