It is really frustrating not to be able to find enough information on a given artist such as Franz Stassen to contrast sources in order to get to one’s own conclusions. In this particular case, the one and only source online about Franz Stassen seems to be Wikipedia (as per usual).

All the other sources of information I have found on this artist are basically either copies or translations from the very same entry. I’m saying all this because according to Wikipedia, at some point in Stassen’s life, he supposedly confessed “being a homosexual”.

I assume this claim is being “based” on the fact that he apparently had a “close” relationship with Siegfried Wagner (who apparently was a homosexual himself) but the funny thing is that no book reference supporting the claim of Stassen being a homosexual is being given in this Wikipedia entry, so I have to conclude that the whole issue is a tad suspicious, looking more like just another way of smearing someone who was active in the artistic life of Germany during the Third Reich by tagging this person as a “homosexual” or something similar.

If someone reading this has irrefutable evidence to this claim, please don’t hesitate letting me know, but don’t forget to provide me with a clear reference on the source (whether it is a book, a documentary or a website) where this “evidence” is to be found.
Another thing that drives me bonkers is the fact that the surviving black & white photographs of the tapestries Stassen created for Hitler’s Reich Chancellery depicting the Eddas have been completely “privatized”, just like mounds of photographic material coming from the Third Reich era.

I invite anyone to take a look to websites such as GettyImages and Ullstein Bild. In this particular case the website Alamy.com is the one who apparently owns the “rights of exploitation” of these images which makes them somewhat difficult for anyone to use freely -unless one buys them from Alamy, of course – but even if one buys them I believe these images are subject to certain “restrictions” of usage, as it is commonly the case with websites like these. I think that is one of the reasons why Creative Commons was started (but that is a debate of a complete different nature).

All these issues would be fine by me if it wasn’t for the fact that I consider the images I’m referring to (and much of the material coming from the Third Reich) property of the German Folk and therefore they should be 100% public domain. This is an issue I sincerely would like to talk about in the future (if my tight schedule allows) once I get the pertinent information.

A side note: The Reich Chancellery’s tapestries are absolute masterpieces to behold, but I refuse to post any images with commercial watermarks on them. People will have to use the provided links to see them. On the other hand, images from other Stassen’s works – such as ‘Faust’ – are so numerous that I have decided to post only the most visually attractive. Enjoy.
More...