Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study: People Who Live In Rural Towns Are Happier Than Those In Big Cities

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Engaged parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Study: People Who Live In Rural Towns Are Happier Than Those In Big Cities

A recent study conducted on those who live rurally as opposed to those who live in big cities suggests that people residing in rural areas are in fact happier. The reason? It might surprise you, but it shouldn’t.

The Canadian study was conducted by a team of researchers from the Vancouver School of Economics and McGill University. The goal of the study was to find out the happiness levels of 400,000 Canadians. Using the responses and by cross-referencing them with other survey data, they were able to identify which factors actually bring happiness to people. Rural people are happier than city dwellers.

Why? Because simply: their lives are more simple. According to Natural News, it wasn’t even close either. Those who live more rurally are about eight times happier than their city-dwelling counterparts. This was measured using responses from the participants when they were asked to rate “how satisfied” they are with their lives. On a scale of one to 10, the average score ranged from 7.04 to 8.94.

According to the study’s authors, the findings made it obvious that “Life is significantly less happy in urban areas.” This is mostly due to the fact that living in busy cities may also mean it’s more difficult to connect with family and friends.

Social isolation, as per a separate study, can have adverse effects on the brain. It can actually make a person feel fear and aggression. Moreover, a Toronto therapist, Lesli Musicar, confirmed that people who live in urban areas feel less safe than those in rural towns.

“There isn’t the same feeling of safety. People are generally less trusting. There’s a heterogeneous population, it’s not a homogeneous population, it’s not like in a small town where there is a lot more commonality, ” she added. –Natural News

All people are different, and some like the crowded spaces and hustle and bustle of big city life. Some do not. But those who were happier, according to the study were people who choose to stay in less developed areas. Here are three benefits that rural dwellers get:

Cheaper cost of living for a bigger space – Bigger and more spacious houses are offered at lower rates since the real estate value in rural areas is not as expensive as in the city. Aside from cutting housing cost, you get to enjoy being close to nature and having your own yard. As a bonus, you can see the stars in the night sky, instead of tall buildings.
    Less amount of stress – We’re talking about not having to tolerate traffic jams, high crime rates, and long queues all the time. Everything can be done at your own pace when you live in rural places.

A sense of community – Just like what the study above identified, people – whether consciously or not – long for a sense of belonging. Since those who live in rural towns have more time in their hands to get to know their neighbors, communities are more friendly.

The air is also cleaner and everything seems quieter. Instead of hearing every car pass by your house on a busy street, you fall asleep to the comforting sounds of crickets and wake up to songbirds. Simple things like this, according to the study, lead to happier lives.
    http://www.renegadetribune.com/study...in-big-cities/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blod og Jord For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Scania Scania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,418 Posts
    I have lived my whole life in country side.

Some (not all) city people feels bit snobby, more materialized, always hurry and they follows the latest trends and fashion.

I still wonder how many here could really live in environment like this one?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 13th, 2019 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    In Order- Celtic/Nordic-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Paternal-Irish/Icelandic Maternal- Welsh/German
    Country
    United States United States
    Taurus
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Youth in Crisis
    Religion
    Order of Water&Woodland Fairies
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I have always lived in the country. I was brought up in a very well to do neighborhood, in the woods. We spent out childhood in the woods. Building forts, fishing with a stick a wee bit of line and a worm(no fancy poles as we fashioned it all ourselves), studying the clouds, hiking, etc. Rule was to be in the house by dark. We saw all sorts of animals and plants, climbed massive rocks, bouldered, you name it.

Once I graduated from school, I jumped a plane to join the more desirable family members out west where I have remained the rest of my life. I knew the person I was going to become and was not made for chasing money, fancy homes or traffic jams. I sacrificed a whole lot of advantages by leaving and have often lived on very little and other than worrying about paying my bills, I have had a much healthier mind than most. I have lived on and off the grid on mountain tops and below by the creek, and learned more about myself and the balance of life than any other experience could teach me. I'm just not made for cities and I knew it when I was just a little one.

Everyone worries about paying their bills no matter where they live, so I consider myself quite fortunate I made the decision early on to continue to be a country gal and live a simpler life. I have seen things and done things no one would believe, just by sitting and enjoying my surroundings.

Now, in my older years, laying on the dock staring at the stars one night last week, I was more relaxed than I had been in years. I have done well by MY standards, far from what some fashion magazine or pompous filthy rich actress/actor pushes as 'the good life'. Also, no one owns me, they're indebted to 'the vile ones'.

Great thread!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ravenseyes For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    From the age of four to fourteen I lived in a rural setting surrounded by woodlands, and corn fields. Company was scarce and I learned to be resourceful and imaginative to keep myself occupied. Lots of work also kept life from becoming too boring for me.

However, I hated it when we moved back into an urban neighborhood, and attended a huge consolidated, and racially integrated high school that nearly drove me to commit suicide.

Anyway, I survived the nightmare scenarios I encountered then, and later on the mean streets.

On a more positive note, city life enabled me to take advantage of more employment opportunities, and meet more women.

Would I like to return to a remote country lifestyle now?.. No way! I've got it made in the shade where I'm at right now. Hell, yeah!
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    593 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blod og Jord View Post
    The air is also cleaner and everything seems quieter. Instead of hearing every car pass by your house on a busy street, you fall asleep to the comforting sounds of crickets and wake up to songbirds. Simple things like this, according to the study, lead to happier lives.
    This is what I dream about! I have come to find city and suburban life overrated, and I am more content and at peace in bucolic settings.
    'Well, what are you?" said the Pigeon. "I can see you're trying to invent something!" "I-I'm a little girl," said Alice, rather doubtfully. She found herself at last in a beautiful garden, among the bright flower-beds and the cool fountains.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 03:35 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    I was brought up in the country side. I lived for a short time in the city. After that I went back to the country side and lived on acreage far from the stench of the city.

Last Online
    20 Hours Ago @ 04:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Married
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts
    I live in Kolding, so the countryside is relative very near. And I used to visit my grandparents in Sønder Bjert, so I'm accustomed to calm and small towns.

Something ike this every weekend is enough for me or Skamlingsbanken. And birdwatching.

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 05:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    In addition to being closer to nature and providing healthier lifestyles, it probably has something to do with them being homogenous and having few immigrants.
    Our beauty is our power, our strength. We can’t allow them to change us, to lessen us. I will never grant them that satisfaction, and neither should you!

White Oleander

Last Online
    Friday, November 22nd, 2019 @ 06:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    student
    Politics
    Conservative/Libertarian
    Religion
    Mormon/Noahide/Eastern thoughts
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I grew up outside of a small town in Sweden. As an adult I have realized I have lived a like this and that's very unusual for someone in my age or younger: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullerby_Syndrome

The neighborhood is still very Swedish. Most neighbors are the same as when I grew up. Some are people who I grew up with who decided to settle down in the same area after they had their own families. When I grew up the only people with foreign background was one who was a Finnish war child. Another who is half Norwegian. Nowadays we have one Greek neighbor who is married to a Swede. We didn't lock our doors when I grew up unless we left the house. We only locked the garage when we left for a trip for more than a weekend or so. It's very safe. Basically the people's aging and newer cars etc tell that the time doesn't stand still.

I love living on the countryside. The only major city I even like is Tokyo.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eoppoyz For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Scania Scania
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,418 Posts
    Simple life....

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast