Thread: Rich People Are Less Likely Than The Poor To Share Their Wealth With Others, Claim Scientists

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

Rich People Are Less Likely Than The Poor To Share Their Wealth With Others, Claim Scientists

Money really DOES make you mean: Rich people are less likely than the poor to share their wealth with others, claim scientists

People who have less cash are more prepared to contribute to a communal fund

If someone feels they have earned their wealth, they are even less likely to share

Poorer people are prepared to take greater risks when it comes to financial gain

The most generous people are those who have the least, according to scientists.

Based on a psychological experiment, those deemed to be of 'higher status' were found to be more selfish than those of 'lower status'.

Scientists at Queen Mary University also discovered that how a person amassed their fortune matters when it comes to determining how willing they are to share.

Those who earned their money themselves are far more reluctant to hand it out, compared to those who stumbled on wealth by chance.

The most generous people are the ones that have the least, according to scientists. Based on a psychological experiment, those who are deemed to be of 'higher status' are more selfish than those of 'lower status'

In the first social experiment, people were asked to donate money to a communal pot, which was then distributed equally among the players.

Researchers assigned players with either 'high status' or 'low status'.

Those who were designated as 'high status' were allocated more money at the start of the game compared to those who were branded 'low status'.

But despite having more in their pocket at the start of the experiment, those who were 'high status' contributed less to the communal pot.

Although status was assigned by chance in the first social experiments, researchers later started to allocate status based on effort, with those who worked the hardest being rewarded with the most money.

'Low status' participants consistently contributed more than high status participants.

Researchers found that 'high status' participants contributed even less to the communal pot when they felt they had earned the additional wealth.

Even when asked to empathise with their poorer counterparts, richer people steadfastly refused to share their wealth.

'There are a lot of claims that empathy is the glue that binds people to act socially,' said Dr Magda Osma, the lead author of the study.

'What we show is that when money matters, empathy plays virtually no role in improving pro-social behaviours.'

Queen Mary School of Biological and Chemical Sciences' Dr Osman added: 'For the high status individuals, the way in which wealth was achieved, whether through chance or effort, appeared to be the key factor determining the level of cooperation observed.'

But while the amount of perceived effort put into achieving their wealth affected those considered higher status, it had no impact on the lower status people.

'This wasn't the case for the low status individuals. How they got to their low status made no difference to their behaviour in the game,' Dr Osman explained.

'If you gain high status through effort, rather than chance, you are even more likely to want to keep what you own.

'When you have limited status one obvious strategic way to increase it, is through cooperation.

'The point here being that even if one is acting cooperatively, there is no reason to think that this is purely for altruistic reasons.'

According to the researchers, one of the most surprising elements of the study was the amount of lower status players who were willing to take risks.

Dr Osman said: 'There is an element of risk in this game, because if you contribute anything to the shared pot there is no way of knowing, and no guarantee that anyone else from the group will do the same.

'So what is surprising is that low status individuals are willing to take a bigger risk, with fewer resources than the high status individuals. In other words, you take a risk by being pro-social because you have no idea if it will be reciprocated.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...th-others.html

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Financially affluent individuals become wealthy by handling their finances conservatively. It has been my personal experience that a state of solvency should first be attained, then maintained to allow capital growth.

Many financially secure individuals leave substantial legacies to not only their descendants, but to worthy causes, and community services as well. Chauncey Rose was one such gentleman. My wife's uncle is another example.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.” Robert A. Heinlein

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago @ 06:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    My believe is that poorer people have grown much more earlier in life
    a fatalist mentality of statistically not having much positive perspective of
    success . They pretend , that their lives are over and they will never belong
    to the 1% that own 50% of wealth .
    In such circumstances it is easy to spend a small amout of return money /
    small shilling for nothing , because the poor can not really buy something
    substancial for the money given away .

I personally had not been rich in my life and hated it , being begged at personally ;
    it made me feel uncomfortable .
    I usually said , that I would be on social welfare , too , and can not give anything .

Unfortunately humans tend to gather around people of their status ,
    in a way these beggars seem to have a nose to smell people in their situation .

Rich people might act like skinheads man slaughtering / murdering homeless people :
    It is the fear becoming like these , so rich people try to avoid poor people in real life.
    Mk 10:18 What do you call me a good master, no-one is good .

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uwe Jens Lornsen For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 09:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Personally, I have absolutely nothing against the wealthy. As long as I don't treasure material goods too much, I remain content and spend money frugally.

"There may be many who are richer and more fortunate; but many thousands who are very miserable, compared to thee."

I'm often glad I haven't ended up in the shoes of the rich. I'm already poor at making choices, but they have such an abundance, they don't really know what to do with it or how to put it to good use. It's certainly easy for them to masquerade as decent people through charitable philanthropy or organizations. James 1:27 is the true test, although one should put their own people first before "foreign and external affairs".

A wealthy person seldom goes down in history as a pioneer or inventor. All he has is an inherited extended legacy, not necessarily of his own merit. His family did not become wealthy overnight, it took generations. Sometimes having a wealthy upbringing can unexpectedly put a person in the right position to effect tremendous changes on the world as a system builder, such as Aristotle or Blavatsky. So it's not always a bad thing.

I don't side with the capitalists (fatalists, Calvinists, Puritans), but our modern anarchists and communists really could learn to empathize with their position (and vice versa, of course, the ruling class with the discontent). The rich are always keen to point out that it isn't always an easy task to accumulate such wealth. The real question is, what was their motive for stockpiling wealth?

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Jens Lornsen View Post
    Rich people might act like skinheads man slaughtering / murdering homeless people: It is the fear becoming like these, so rich people try to avoid poor people in real life.
    Hit the nail on the head.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Icarus For This Useful Post: