Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Germans Generally Rude and Uncommunicative Compared to Other Nations?

American_in_GER

Are Germans Generally Rude and Uncommunicative Compared to Other Nations?

I'm an American who recently had to relocate to Germany due to my job and I was quite shocked at the level of cultural difference. Now this isn't my first trip to a European country, I've also heard about the rude Dutch stereotype, but I must say I haven't experienced the same level of rudeness in the Netherlands. Am I simply misunderstanding the German people, are there different standards in Germany as to what is considered friendly and polite?

P.S. I don't mean to insult the Germans, this is just my first impression as a foreigner. I'd like to understand them better, since I am going to be living amongst them for a while.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    Americans are generally more outgoing and more revealing in their lives. It has been my experience that Germans are very friendly, but they don't come off as overly cheerful and fake as Americans do. While Americans seem friendly and outgoing it is often not genuine and Americans are more worried about offending and are indirect.
    Germans do tend to be somewhat blunt, but not all of them. There are some cultural rules that apply such as you don't generally open a conversation on the train with a stranger. I also noticed a habit of mine that was considered odd...I hold doors open for women and I got some very strange looks for in Germany.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    Are Germans Generally Rude and Uncommunicative Compared to Other Nations?
    ... treading on eggshells, but here goes ...

I wouldn't call it 'rudeness' but my impression has always been that it's more difficult to get to know them. Once you've done so they make loyal friends but you do sometimes have to be patient until they accept you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson View Post
    ... treading on eggshells, but here goes ...

I wouldn't call it 'rudeness' but my impression has always been that it's more difficult to get to know them. Once you've done so they make loyal friends but you do sometimes have to be patient until they accept you
    One thing i heard says it best. The difference between friends and acquaintances is about twenty years. I've noticed I tend to be blunt and direct myself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Astragoth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 04:09 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Emmingen, Baden-Württemburg
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Taurus
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retail Sales Management
    Politics
    Nationalsozialist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    They are not as forward or fake as Americans are. Whether or not most Americans realize how their trite their greeting sounds, I don't know. I know they really don't give a crap how you are when they ask. It's almost automatic as it spills out of their mouths.

I much prefer the German way.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herr Rentz For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    In my view, it's usually a combination between cultural clashes (American vs. European/German) and different definitions of what is understood by rude. For example, not engaging in small talk with strangers or not smiling at strangers might be considered rude from an American perspective. But in Europe, these things aren't a "must" of the social etiquette. Another point is honesty/frankness. "False niceties" are also not always part of the social etiquette, so if for example you ask someone if a type of clothing flatters you, you'll get a honest opinion. But that's not because of rudeness, most people who are honest say the opinion politely and constructively.

As an American in Germany, some educative sources could be the experiences of other expats in the country. For example, the blog German Way, was written by such an expat. They've also an article on this topic of "rudeness". I post the more important parts which point on cultural differences, for the full text follow this link: How to tell when Germans are really being rude versus just being German

Show Some Respect!

One rule of life is that we usually get treated the way we treat others. English-speakers are often guilty of assuming that everyone speaks English (or should), even in Germany, France or any foreign location. Most expats know they should learn the local language, but even when you’re just a tourist, it is common courtesy (not rude!) to learn at least some key phrases in the language of the country you’re visiting. Germans or French people understandably get irritated when they encounter a loutish Brit or American who makes no attempt whatsoever to learn to say please, thank you, or anything else in the native tongue. No one expects you to expound at great length in the national language, but you can at least show some respect by learning some key phrases that allow you to be more polite – and less irritating. You may not realize it when you have become the “ugly American” or “ugly Briton” – but you increase your “ugly” chances by not making any effort to learn the local lingo. If you are experiencing rude behavior in a foreign culture, ask yourself if it might be the other way around. Does your behavior seem rude to the natives?

Unnecessary Smiling

Europeans, especially northern Europeans (not just Germans), only smile when they want to. Smiling at some stranger you have never met before is considered foolish. Americans who smile at everyone on the street can seem, well, a bit weak in the head. (Recall the scene in Crocodile Dundee where the title figure is walking down the streets of Manhattan, tipping his hat and saying “G’day” to everyone he passes.) The problem for Americans is that they often mistake a European non-smile for rudeness, when it’s just a neutral facial expression, indicating neither joy nor sorrow, neither anger nor approval. Just normal.

German Frankness

If you really want to hear the truth, ask a German. If you ask an American, “Does this shirt/dress look good on me?” you’ll usually get a polite reply, even if the person thinks it’s the ugliest thing he/she has ever seen. Ask a German the same question and you’ll get an honest, blunt opinion – positive or negative. Germans tend to be direct and to the point. They consider small talk and over-politeness a waste of time. Americans often mistake German frankness for rudeness. Some people use the-coconut-versus-the-peach metaphor to describe this difference (and not just for Germans and Americans). A coconut is tough on the outside, but soft with sweet milk inside. A peach is just the opposite: soft on the outside, with a tough pit in the center. Germans are coconuts, with a hard exterior that’s tough to crack. Americans are peaches, easy to get to know, but with a hard interior. As one consultant puts it: “When peaches and coconuts meet, misunderstanding is common. Peaches can see coconuts as cold and difficult to get to know, because they don’t engage much in social conversation. On the other hand, coconuts can see peaches as too friendly, superficial and even impolite because they ask too many personal questions.”

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Rentz View Post

I much prefer the German way.
    +1

As I have lived among of Finns...here "this rudeness" have risen totally new level (no stupid/useless/meanless small talks at all & mind your own business!). And I like that millions times more than super talkative southern Europeans (or Americans?). Those people feels like fakes, not serious & sometimes even clowns!

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 06:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I was originally going to steer clear of replying to the thread, until I saw the haughtiness on display in the quote by Sieben, but not what she herself wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    In my view, it's usually a combination between cultural clashes (American vs. European/German) and different definitions of what is understood by rude. For example, not engaging in small talk with strangers or not smiling at strangers might be considered rude from an American perspective. But in Europe, these things aren't a "must" of the social etiquette. Another point is honesty/frankness. "False niceties" are also not always part of the social etiquette, so if for example you ask someone if a type of clothing flatters you, you'll get a honest opinion. But that's not because of rudeness, most people who are honest say the opinion politely and constructively.

As an American in Germany, some educative sources could be the experiences of other expats in the country. For example, the blog German Way, was written by such an expat. They've also an article on this topic of "rudeness". I post the more important parts which point on cultural differences, for the full text follow this link: How to tell when Germans are really being rude versus just being German
    I don't care how Eurosnobs with a long history of ruling over the English Folk in Britain and America feel about how they are affronted by casual and open communication. How dare Saxon peasantry address our liege lords with such liberty? Don't we know our place? Why should they respond favourably to our upright and rebellious nature? The truth is, Britons and Americans are considered bottom of the totem pole among French and Germans, who all look at themselves as aristocrats compared to us "simpletons". The overly sophisticated fops have as little interest in Anglophones as they value our money for their overpriced goods and services. That's what Brexit and Remain are about!

For myself, I am taciturn in professional situations and prefer attention to detail, over chattiness. I've been criticised for not being more gregarious, but I pick and choose who I deem worthy of my time. I'd rather be quiet and in my own thoughts, than constantly talking. I was tired of school-aged dramas and social goose-stepping. That's one reason why I switched jobs from inside my facility, to become a full time driver and do night drops, removing unnecessary speech from the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    +1

As I have lived among of Finns...here "this rudeness" have risen totally new level (no stupid/useless/meanless small talks at all & mind your own business!). And I like that millions times more than super talkative southern Europeans (or Americans?). Those people feels like fakes, not serious & sometimes even clowns!
    How many Americans do you know? You must be turned off by Italians, who, unfortunately, have taken over NYC from my Dutch relatives. Mafia types aren't thought highly of by Germanic folks like Eliot Ness, one of my heroes.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 09:05 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    235 Posts
    It depends on where you are .

Northern Germans are more reserved and emotionally cooler ,
    than Southern Germans or people in the Rhineland ( Cologne ) .

The overall stress to survive our darwinistic times and the need
    to feel the correct wave in economy while huge parts of
    manufacturing were either sold out to East Asia , shut down completely
    or replaced by automatizartion and now the refugee flood after the floodings
    by Russian Germans and Eastern Europeans may make people behave more straight
    and not-nice .

You cannot be sure if you meat a German or Russian German .
    Donald Trump is being mobbed by the German press .
    The Left has around 45% of votes still added all three main Left parties .
    In the East of Germany the amount of radical Right and Left views is much
    larger , than in the West of Germany .

In my opinion , it depends on how you as an US-American act .

Donald Trump for example is probably a Red Flag , and in our current
    masochistic guilt-culture it may be advisable to lie :

Excuse me , I am an US-American , could you show me the way ?
    Excuse me , I am American , and I hate Trump . Could you please show me the way ?
    Mk 10:18 What do you call me a good master, no-one is good .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Uwe Jens Lornsen For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, November 18th, 2018 @ 11:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    8/16 English, 1/16 Scott. English, 3/16 Irish English, 4/16 Irish
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nationalist / Eclectic
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    The Dutch can definitely be rude, almost aggressively, but I don't mean to stereotype them. From my experience with Germans, it is just that they are quite concerned with doing things by the rules and customs, and they are less tolerant of small infringements than Englishmen would be.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aelfgar For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast